SAHARA, the movie

  • carolena5214
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2003
      For those of you who are disappointed in the choice of Matthew
      McConaughey as Dirk Pitt (R), I am sorry. Mr. McConaughey has the
      role. The only thing that will stop him from performing in the role
      is if the movie is not made. Currently we are waiting for a new
      screenplay which is due Friday. Swamping Clive Cussler's E-mail is
      not a solution. This is out of your hands. More importantly, Clive
      Cussler has three books that will be or have been published in 2003.
      He has a nine or ten city Book Tour coming up in November and
      December for the next Dirk Pitt (R) adventure TROJAN ODYSSEY. Then
      he leaves for three months on location to assure that the film is
      the vision he wants. He will have at least two books published in
      2004 and possibly three. He continues to work on his international
      hit TV series THE SEA HUNTERS based on his best selling non-fiction
      books of the same name. www.seahunters.net He will not read your E-
      mails because he simply does not have the time. A lot of actors
      through the years have wanted the role of Dirk Pitt (R). For various
      reasons they were not chosen or were not available. Matthew
      McConaughey has lobbied for the role for more than four years even
      going so far as to be in a submarine movie set in World War II and
      dying his hair black and going to Mali. I think he has the "fire in
      the belly" to do the job and do it well. He may be the Seabiscuit
      no one else believed in. I was watching a Biography on Kevin
      Costner tonight and no one believed that DANCES WITH WOLVES would be
      successful; all the powers that be laughed at him for even trying to
      shoot a western. They laughed at him for making a baseball movie,
      too, because baseball movies never make money but BULL DURHAM did.
      Then he turned around and made another FIELD OF DREAMS and that made
      money, too. Have a little faith that the man who has entertained
      all of you so well for 30 years will not let himself or his fans
      down with the movie SAHARA. Thank you all for your passion and
      concern. Clive is not infallible; none of us are. He is doing the
      best that he can. And for those who feel it necessary to make all
      the nasty personal comments I have been receiving the last several
      days, I do not care what you say about me but I do care what you say
      about Dr. Cussler. He has been through a great deal this year
      personally and he's still standing. He gives to more charitable
      causes and individuals than I can count, quietly, and without fan
      fare. He is as down to earth as one's favorite uncle. I am very
      proud to have worked with and for him for nearly 18 years. Those
      who have met him at a book signing will know what I am talking about.
    • James DeRuvo
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 13, 2003
        I can back up the assertion that Matthew Mc. has
        lobbied for the role. For a period of time, my
        partner and I had the chance to be involved in
        pitching Sahara, Inca Gold, and the rest to Hollywood
        with Clive's support.

        In the end, he went another direction, and personally,
        though I wasn't thrilled when I heard the news that MM
        was going to be Pitt, I TRUST CLIVE.

        He doesn't say "no" for 25 years to Hollywood just to
        sell out now. The man protects the character of Dirk
        Pitt like a son almost and I can tell you that he sees
        something in MM.

        It reminds me of when Tom Cruise lobbied to play the
        role of Lestat in Interview with The Vampire. Anne
        Rice was mortified when she learned that Tom Cruise
        wanted the role. BUT CRUISE SOLD HER. He had the
        fire in the bell, as previously stated, to take the
        role to the level it deserved.

        Do I wish another actor had the role, initially I did.
        Hell, I wish I was involved!

        But like I said CLIVE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING, and I for
        one, support him, support carolena, and will see
        SAHARA with every expectation that it will be an
        entertaining and exciting film.

        My lifelong enjoyment of these books - and now, I hope
        the films - deserves nothing less.

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2003
          I agree wait and see, if a few dont like the choice go bitch
          somewhere else. continually complaining about and putting down one
          of the best authors of our time, and most of our's favorite, stop
          reading his books dont go see the movie. You made your point you
          dont like the choice. MOVE ON.
          I'm looking forward to TROJAN ODYSSEY and to the movie then I will
          make my decide on if MM does a good DP.
          Baba

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, carolena5214