Re: White Death--Technical Discrepancy

  • seancm1975
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2003
      Frequently you will read that Galileo invented the telescope in
      1609. However, he did not invent it. The telescope was invented by
      pirates near the Venetian coast in Italy. It was used to see ships
      at further distances. Galileo got one of these spyglasses as a
      present and improved upon the design of it and used better quality
      lenses. I, however, do not have a date as to when it was actually
      invented, it may have been several hundred years ealier.

      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "James" <covediver@y...>
      wrote:
      > I remember as a grade school kid reading an illustrated story
      about
      > Columbus that had him looking through a spy-glass for landfall. I
      > recall the teacher pointing out that this was inaccurate, since
      the
      > telescope would not be invented for another century.
      >
      > So imagine my concern when on page 3 of the newly released "White
      > Death" when I read "Pulse quickening, Aquirrez raised the brass
      > spyglass that hung by a cord around his neck, snapped the sections
      > their full length and squinted through the eyepiece."
      >
      > If the information I have is correct, it could not have
      happended.
      > While there is arguements over who actually invented the
      telescope,
      > it was long after the date of 1515 that opens the chapter. Even
      > then, the collapsible telescope would follow long after the
      invention
      > of the telescope.
      >
      > Yes, it is a minor point, especially for adventure fiction. But,
      Dr.