Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] White Death--Technical Discrepancy

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2003
      Yes, the byline credits Clive Cussler with Paul Kemprecos, with Dr.
      Cussler having the top billing. I believe that in reality, these are
      written primarily by Paul Kemprecos. As my creative writing teacher
      once told me, if you write historical fiction, make sure you have the
      period artifacts accurately portrayed. I also would ask Penguin books
      what happened to their editors and fact checkers. The device may be
      accurately portrayed, I just want to know.

      It is not really a big thing, just a pet peeve of mine. In
      avocational (non-professional) maritime history and culture, we are
      willing to tolerate a bit too much error. I was involved in the
      review of a book on California shipwrecks by a self styled
      historian. His text was so riddled with easily checked facts to be
      worthless as a reference. The maritime museum that wanted to carry
      the book basically argued that facts may be in error, but the book
      contained a lot of cool period photographs that were previously
      unpublished. We stood our ground and got the author to revise the
      text.

      Dr. Cussler is a wonderful story teller. He is also at the forefront
      of avocational marine archaeology the way it should be done. His
      contributions are remarkable. More than that, outstanding. Which is
      why when I see something in a historic context, I have to ask the
      question, "is there something new I have not heard about."
      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Silkwind"
      <silkwind@m...> wrote:
      > James,
      > Is "White Death" co-authored??
      >
      > Nancy Silk, Mini Long Dachshunds
      > silkwind@m...
      > www.silkwind-dachshunds.com
      >

      > I remember as a grade school kid reading an illustrated story about
      > Columbus that had him looking through a spy-glass for landfall. I
      > recall the teacher pointing out that this was inaccurate, since the
      > telescope would not be invented for another century.
      >
      > So imagine my concern when on page 3 of the newly released "White
      > Death" when I read "Pulse quickening, Aquirrez raised the brass
      > spyglass that hung by a cord around his neck, snapped the sections
      > their full length and squinted through the eyepiece."
      >
      > If the information I have is correct, it could not have happended.
      > While there is arguements over who actually invented the telescope,
      > it was long after the date of 1515 that opens the chapter. Even
      > then, the collapsible telescope would follow long after the
      invention
      > of the telescope.
      >
      > Yes, it is a minor point, especially for adventure fiction. But,
      Dr.
      > Cussler's books are usually well researched and accurate.

    • Silkwind
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2003
        James,
        Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...
        Well, my husband and I don't care as much for the books that are co-authored
        with Paul Kemprecos. I'm sure his books are well written for his audience.
        But those of us who are pure Clive Cussler fans, I'm sure, feel they just
        don't have the same style or touch of humour in them. Also, not the same
        excitment of adventure....