Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] White Death--Technical Discrepancy

  • Silkwind
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2003
      James,
      Is "White Death" co-authored??

      Nancy Silk, Mini Long Dachshunds
      silkwind@...
      www.silkwind-dachshunds.com

      I remember as a grade school kid reading an illustrated story about
      Columbus that had him looking through a spy-glass for landfall. I
      recall the teacher pointing out that this was inaccurate, since the
      telescope would not be invented for another century.

      So imagine my concern when on page 3 of the newly released "White
      Death" when I read "Pulse quickening, Aquirrez raised the brass
      spyglass that hung by a cord around his neck, snapped the sections to
      their full length and squinted through the eyepiece."

      If the information I have is correct, it could not have happended.
      While there is arguements over who actually invented the telescope,
      it was long after the date of 1515 that opens the chapter. Even
      then, the collapsible telescope would follow long after the invention
      of the telescope.

      Yes, it is a minor point, especially for adventure fiction. But, Dr.
      Cussler's books are usually well researched and accurate.

    • James
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2003
        Yes, the byline credits Clive Cussler with Paul Kemprecos, with Dr.
        Cussler having the top billing. I believe that in reality, these are
        written primarily by Paul Kemprecos. As my creative writing teacher
        once told me, if you write historical fiction, make sure you have the
        period artifacts accurately portrayed. I also would ask Penguin books
        what happened to their editors and fact checkers. The device may be
        accurately portrayed, I just want to know.

        It is not really a big thing, just a pet peeve of mine. In
        avocational (non-professional) maritime history and culture, we are
        willing to tolerate a bit too much error. I was involved in the
        review of a book on California shipwrecks by a self styled
        historian. His text was so riddled with easily checked facts to be
        worthless as a reference. The maritime museum that wanted to carry
        the book basically argued that facts may be in error, but the book
        contained a lot of cool period photographs that were previously
        unpublished. We stood our ground and got the author to revise the
        text.

        Dr. Cussler is a wonderful story teller. He is also at the forefront
        of avocational marine archaeology the way it should be done. His
        contributions are remarkable. More than that, outstanding. Which is
        why when I see something in a historic context, I have to ask the
        question, "is there something new I have not heard about."
        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Silkwind"

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 22, 2003
          James,
          Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...
          Well, my husband and I don't care as much for the books that are co-authored
          with Paul Kemprecos. I'm sure his books are well written for his audience.
          But those of us who are pure Clive Cussler fans, I'm sure, feel they just
          don't have the same style or touch of humour in them. Also, not the same
          excitment of adventure....