White Death--Technical Discrepancy

  • James
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2003
      I remember as a grade school kid reading an illustrated story about
      Columbus that had him looking through a spy-glass for landfall. I
      recall the teacher pointing out that this was inaccurate, since the
      telescope would not be invented for another century.

      So imagine my concern when on page 3 of the newly released "White
      Death" when I read "Pulse quickening, Aquirrez raised the brass
      spyglass that hung by a cord around his neck, snapped the sections to
      their full length and squinted through the eyepiece."

      If the information I have is correct, it could not have happended.
      While there is arguements over who actually invented the telescope,
      it was long after the date of 1515 that opens the chapter. Even
      then, the collapsible telescope would follow long after the invention
      of the telescope.

      Yes, it is a minor point, especially for adventure fiction. But, Dr.
      Cussler's books are usually well researched and accurate.
    • seancm1975
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2003
        Frequently you will read that Galileo invented the telescope in
        1609. However, he did not invent it. The telescope was invented by
        pirates near the Venetian coast in Italy. It was used to see ships
        at further distances. Galileo got one of these spyglasses as a
        present and improved upon the design of it and used better quality
        lenses. I, however, do not have a date as to when it was actually
        invented, it may have been several hundred years ealier.

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "James" <covediver@y...>