Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Digest Number 93

  • Mark Notarian
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 9:42 AM
      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, James DeRuvo
      <jamesderuvo@y...> wrote:
      > First off, you don't understand the business.

      >Dah, Think I said that in my post. I only aspire the the hight's of
      corperate shill you have scaled so I can understand Rapeing art for
      profit!

      Hollywood is going to cast someone who can carry a
      > film.Who can open it up and do $65 million in the
      > first weekend.

      > M McC can't carry garbage , he couldn't do 20 with Kate Hudson
      on the same bill!

      Especially when they're laying out about that to make the film.
      > On what planet smart guy the last large scale action film that came
      in at 65 million was Goldeneye and that was 10 years ago.

      That's just the way it is.
      > Prejudice,Murder,Theft and lack of integrity are "the way it is"
      also that doesn't make it right.

      > You cite the Christopher Reeve example. Well, Reeve
      > wasn't the star of that movie,> Gee his name was first on the
      credits>

      Superman was> And Pitt is the star of Sahara. I'm still looking for
      a point here James.

      Sure, Reeve surprised everyone, but they also cast Gene
      > Hackman as Lex Luthor> Gene Hackman is a great actor but even in
      the 70's he wasn't a draw , gosh your an expert on the film industry
      I would have thought you would have brought up Marlon Brando to shoot
      down my argument!

      - as a sort of insurance. Even when Batman came out with Michael
      Keaton, the studio demanded a star be cast as The Joker.> But Tim
      Burton had the guts to fight for his vision and got it and walked
      when the studio demands were in his words "STUPID"!

      > Cussler wanted an unknown. As much as told me so time
      > and again. WHY DO YOU THINK HE WAITED 30 YEARS? He
      > turned down millions from producers who wanted to cast
      > Don Johnson (who, at the time was hot in Miami Vice),
      > he turned down Cruise, Stallone, the list goes on and
      > on.> And here I stupidly thought he was waiting for creative
      control so the studio wouldn't screw up the project the way Lew Grade
      and ITC screwed up " Raise The Titanic".30 years and 100 million
      books means nothing unless you have the guts to pull the project if
      there screwing it up!

      > You state "Maybe he doesn't understand the power a
      > hero has to motivate." You're kidding, right? He's
      > sold over 100 million books about a hero that does
      > JUST THAT.< Typical suit money again! Heroic motivation has nothing
      to do with finance! I would bet a walk through
      the ocean of your soul would scarcely get my socks damp!

      > Sure, it may be a flop.> If CC doesn't step up it will be a flop!

      Perhaps MMc is a bad choice.> Rice Krispies is a bad choice. This is
      a monumental Fuck up!

      But you're talking as if Cussler is the producer here.> Your telling
      me he waited 30 years and he isn't an executive producer? Even my
      brunch buddy Dean Koontz,(Your not the only one who can drop names)
      gets an executive producer position on his film
      projects ( see Intensity and Mr Murder)

      He wrote the book.> He Owned the rights

      He's not producing the film.> He needs a better Agent!

      Mark

      PS Look James, Your a Suit. I'm 46 and retired. I restore the
      Airfield do a voice over once in a while and I direct radio drama. I
      see things as an artist, you see things as profit and loss. You can
      make art and money at the same time. It is just a matter of risk.Art
      and risk have financed my retirement. Play safe you may never hit one
      out of the park. Crusader and Paramount want this project. Cussler
      unless he and his lawyers and agent are complete
      idiots (which I am begining to believe is very possible) has much
      more power than you elude he should exercise it.
      That is where the 100 million copies and 30 years comes into play it
      means nothing if he crumbles like brocolli in the face of Horrific
      decisions.And that I would tell him that to his face.I imagine he
      would respond with a rakish smile and a punch to my right eye. I
      would counter with shprt jabs to his midsection followed by the
      inevitable roll around the parking lot,cuts,scrapes,bruises and
      after fight Newcastle's , stories of deep dives (Black Coral),
      Great Whites (The La Jolla Bank),Truk lagoon and drunken chorus's
      of "Ain't that a Kick in the Head".

      > http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • jamesderuvo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5 7:40 PM
        James' smiles in amusement as he realizes that Mark knows nothing
        about him.

        Actually Mark, I'm not a suit. I'm a writer. My partner and I spent
        about 6 years trying to get Hollywood interested in Pitt and INCA
        GOLD.

        You say that Cussler folded like a house of cards. Yeah AFTER A
        THIRTY YEAR HOLD OUT.

        Cussler's demands for Pitt approval & director approval, plus
        outright purchase of the entire 18 volume Pitt library for $70
        MILLION kept them at bay.

        Cussler demanded all that. We did our best. But it wasn't until we
        were out of the picture that Crusader (with their Billion dollar
        owner) ponied up the cash to buy the franchise. They decided to go
        with SAHARA. Go figure.

        And Cussler's #1 choice (Hugh Jackman) isn't available. And Cussler
        isn't getting any younger - so what can you say?

        I'm still hopeful that perhaps MMc will drop out and we'll get a
        better choice, because God knows that MMc doesn't thrill me.

        And yet, I have hope.

        I haven't heard who YOU would cast in a perfect world!

        ps - I hate Marlon Brando.

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Notarian"
        <spikedchez@a...> wrote:

        > PS Look James, Your a Suit. I'm 46 and retired. I restore the
        > Airfield do a voice over once in a while and I direct radio drama. ?
        > see things as an artist, you see things as profit and loss. You can
        > make art and money at the same time. It is just a matter of
        risk.Art
        > and risk have financed my retirement. Play safe you may never hit
        one
        > out of the park. Crusader and Paramount want this project. Cussler
        > unless he and his lawyers and agent are complete
        > idiots (which I am begining to believe is very possible) has much
        > more power than you elude he should exercise it.
        > That is where the 100 million copies and 30 years comes into play
        it
        > means nothing if he crumbles like brocolli in the face of Horrific
        > decisions.And that I would tell him that to his face.I imagine he
        > would respond with a rakish smile and a punch to my right eye. I
        > would counter with shprt jabs to his midsection followed by the
        > inevitable roll around the parking lot,cuts,scrapes,bruises and
        > after fight Newcastle's , stories of deep dives (Black Coral),
        > Great Whites (The La Jolla Bank),Truk lagoon and drunken chorus's
        > of "Ain't that a Kick in the Head".

        > > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
        > > http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • lana and chris
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6 12:33 PM
          george clooney would make the perfect pitt

        • spikedchez@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6 11:58 PM
            OK here goes in a perfect world My choice for Pitt would have been Alec
            Baldwin about the time he shot "Red October" he carried himself right and had the
            green eyes
            and the look George Clooney would have been tolerable Kurt Russell would have
            worked Geordino depends on the Pitt casting I always say Jim Belushi with
            Baldwin
            with Clooney /Oliver Platt with Russell I see Jon Favreau (were talking
            perfect world here I realize that Belushi and Baldwin are past the role and even
            Russell may be long in the tooth but Executive Decision and that recent Cop
            opus he did show he still has some action left). Pearlmutter no contest John
            Rhys-Davies check please.
            Sandecker, I had several ideas for Sandecker but after seeing "The Contender"
            I realized Gary Oldman could nail the part. Last get Queen Latifah as the
            Jailer, Tetchy Kataro as our French villain and Louis GossetJr., his African
            henchman
            then give the project to John McTiernan to Direct, Ken Adam for the art
            direction, Ernest Lehman to collaborate with Cussler on the script and get Michael
            Kaman to score the film. All perfect world stuff but you asked. Sorry about
            the suit comment but you sure sounded like a PR hack in your posts. Of course I
            usually come off as a stubborn hot head but then again I am a stubborn hot
            head and a bit of a jerk. Still think if HE WHO I WILL NO SPEAK plays Pitt the
            project is sunk. So I'll probably spend my $9.00 on the B-25 and wait for it to
            come out on HBO. Love to Chat But we have a Fly in here at Eagle Field Today
            and I've got to get some shut eye.

            Mark

          • Audralee Thorpe
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7 11:06 PM
              It seems that I'm about to stick my nose into a really hot topic but what
              about Jim Caviezel for Pitt? Just in case the name doesn't jump out, High
              Crimes, Count of Monte Cristo, Frenquency. He has the look or at least how
              I would picture Pitt to be. If anything he's not old enough. Remember Pitt
              is suppose to be a Vietnem vet. It's where he and Sandecker met. If memory
              recalls correctly, Pitt shot Sandecker down to keep him from being captured
              during that war. Since Saharah takes place in '96 that would actually place
              Pitt in his late forties. But I think Caviezel has the ability to pull off
              a pretty good Pitt. I admit, that I am not in "the business" just an CC
              fan.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8 8:36 AM
                Jim Caviezel I like it ! Oliver Platt as Al close to perfect combo

                Mark

              • keller hackbusch
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9 9:12 AM
                  Jim Caviezel sounds good to me, I have never thought of him, but I like the
                  idea. Jim is currently filming in Italy with Mel Gibson in Mel's new work,
                  The Passion, where Jim plays Jesus. The entire film is in Latin and it
                  intended to make you feel the story...

                  What about actor Brad Johnson, who I just saw staring as Ray Steele in the
                  Tribulation Force. He looks pretty close to my view of Pitt.

                  Personally, I could accept blatent anti-americans like Clooney or Baldwin as
                  Pitt. Boo Hiss. I would rather not have a movie at all.

                  later,

                  killerkellerh