Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Digest Number 93

  • James DeRuvo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
      First off, you don't understand the business.
      Hollywood is going to cast someone who can carry a
      film. Who can open it up and do $65 million in the
      first weekend. Especially when they're laying out
      about that to make the film. That's just the way it
      is.

      You cite the Christopher Reeve example. Well, Reeve
      wasn't the star of that movie, Superman was. Sure,
      Reeve surprised everyone, but they also cast Gene
      Hackman as Lex Luthor - as a sort of insurance. Even
      when Batman came out with Michael Keaton, the studio
      demanded a star be cast as the joker.

      Cussler wanted an unknown. As much as told me so time
      and again. WHY DO YOU THINK HE WAITED 30 YEARS? He
      turned down millions from producers who wanted to cast
      Don Johnson (who, at the time was hot in Miami Vice),
      he turned down Cruise, Stallone, the list goes on and
      on.

      You state "Maybe he doesn't understand the power a
      hero has to motivate." You're kidding, right? He's
      sold over 100 million books about a hero that does
      JUST THAT.

      Sure, it may be a flop. Perhaps MMc is a bad choice.
      But you're talking as if Cussler is the producer here.
      He wrote the book. He's not producing the film.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2003
        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, James DeRuvo
        <jamesderuvo@y...> wrote:
        > First off, you don't understand the business.

        >Dah, Think I said that in my post. I only aspire the the hight's of
        corperate shill you have scaled so I can understand Rapeing art for
        profit!

        Hollywood is going to cast someone who can carry a
        > film.Who can open it up and do $65 million in the
        > first weekend.

        > M McC can't carry garbage , he couldn't do 20 with Kate Hudson
        on the same bill!

        Especially when they're laying out about that to make the film.
        > On what planet smart guy the last large scale action film that came
        in at 65 million was Goldeneye and that was 10 years ago.

        That's just the way it is.
        > Prejudice,Murder,Theft and lack of integrity are "the way it is"
        also that doesn't make it right.

        > You cite the Christopher Reeve example. Well, Reeve
        > wasn't the star of that movie,> Gee his name was first on the
        credits>

        Superman was> And Pitt is the star of Sahara. I'm still looking for
        a point here James.

        Sure, Reeve surprised everyone, but they also cast Gene
        > Hackman as Lex Luthor> Gene Hackman is a great actor but even in
        the 70's he wasn't a draw , gosh your an expert on the film industry
        I would have thought you would have brought up Marlon Brando to shoot
        down my argument!

        - as a sort of insurance. Even when Batman came out with Michael
        Keaton, the studio demanded a star be cast as The Joker.> But Tim
        Burton had the guts to fight for his vision and got it and walked
        when the studio demands were in his words "STUPID"!

        > Cussler wanted an unknown. As much as told me so time
        > and again. WHY DO YOU THINK HE WAITED 30 YEARS? He
        > turned down millions from producers who wanted to cast
        > Don Johnson (who, at the time was hot in Miami Vice),
        > he turned down Cruise, Stallone, the list goes on and
        > on.> And here I stupidly thought he was waiting for creative
        control so the studio wouldn't screw up the project the way Lew Grade
        and ITC screwed up " Raise The Titanic".30 years and 100 million
        books means nothing unless you have the guts to pull the project if
        there screwing it up!

        > You state "Maybe he doesn't understand the power a
        > hero has to motivate." You're kidding, right? He's
        > sold over 100 million books about a hero that does
        > JUST THAT.< Typical suit money again! Heroic motivation has nothing
        to do with finance! I would bet a walk through
        the ocean of your soul would scarcely get my socks damp!

        > Sure, it may be a flop.> If CC doesn't step up it will be a flop!

        Perhaps MMc is a bad choice.> Rice Krispies is a bad choice. This is
        a monumental Fuck up!

        But you're talking as if Cussler is the producer here.> Your telling
        me he waited 30 years and he isn't an executive producer? Even my
        brunch buddy Dean Koontz,(Your not the only one who can drop names)
        gets an executive producer position on his film
        projects ( see Intensity and Mr Murder)

        He wrote the book.> He Owned the rights

        He's not producing the film.> He needs a better Agent!

        Mark

        PS Look James, Your a Suit. I'm 46 and retired. I restore the
        Airfield do a voice over once in a while and I direct radio drama. I
        see things as an artist, you see things as profit and loss. You can
        make art and money at the same time. It is just a matter of risk.Art
        and risk have financed my retirement. Play safe you may never hit one
        out of the park. Crusader and Paramount want this project. Cussler
        unless he and his lawyers and agent are complete
        idiots (which I am begining to believe is very possible) has much
        more power than you elude he should exercise it.
        That is where the 100 million copies and 30 years comes into play it
        means nothing if he crumbles like brocolli in the face of Horrific
        decisions.And that I would tell him that to his face.I imagine he
        would respond with a rakish smile and a punch to my right eye. I
        would counter with shprt jabs to his midsection followed by the
        inevitable roll around the parking lot,cuts,scrapes,bruises and
        after fight Newcastle's , stories of deep dives (Black Coral),
        Great Whites (The La Jolla Bank),Truk lagoon and drunken chorus's
        of "Ain't that a Kick in the Head".

        > http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • jamesderuvo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2003
          James' smiles in amusement as he realizes that Mark knows nothing
          about him.

          Actually Mark, I'm not a suit. I'm a writer. My partner and I spent
          about 6 years trying to get Hollywood interested in Pitt and INCA
          GOLD.

          You say that Cussler folded like a house of cards. Yeah AFTER A
          THIRTY YEAR HOLD OUT.

          Cussler's demands for Pitt approval & director approval, plus
          outright purchase of the entire 18 volume Pitt library for $70
          MILLION kept them at bay.

          Cussler demanded all that. We did our best. But it wasn't until we
          were out of the picture that Crusader (with their Billion dollar
          owner) ponied up the cash to buy the franchise. They decided to go
          with SAHARA. Go figure.

          And Cussler's #1 choice (Hugh Jackman) isn't available. And Cussler
          isn't getting any younger - so what can you say?

          I'm still hopeful that perhaps MMc will drop out and we'll get a
          better choice, because God knows that MMc doesn't thrill me.

          And yet, I have hope.

          I haven't heard who YOU would cast in a perfect world!

          ps - I hate Marlon Brando.

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Notarian"
          <spikedchez@a...> wrote:

          > PS Look James, Your a Suit. I'm 46 and retired. I restore the
          > Airfield do a voice over once in a while and I direct radio drama. ?
          > see things as an artist, you see things as profit and loss. You can
          > make art and money at the same time. It is just a matter of
          risk.Art
          > and risk have financed my retirement. Play safe you may never hit
          one
          > out of the park. Crusader and Paramount want this project. Cussler
          > unless he and his lawyers and agent are complete
          > idiots (which I am begining to believe is very possible) has much
          > more power than you elude he should exercise it.
          > That is where the 100 million copies and 30 years comes into play
          it
          > means nothing if he crumbles like brocolli in the face of Horrific
          > decisions.And that I would tell him that to his face.I imagine he
          > would respond with a rakish smile and a punch to my right eye. I
          > would counter with shprt jabs to his midsection followed by the
          > inevitable roll around the parking lot,cuts,scrapes,bruises and
          > after fight Newcastle's , stories of deep dives (Black Coral),
          > Great Whites (The La Jolla Bank),Truk lagoon and drunken chorus's
          > of "Ain't that a Kick in the Head".

          > > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
          > > http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • lana and chris
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
            george clooney would make the perfect pitt

          • spikedchez@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2003
              OK here goes in a perfect world My choice for Pitt would have been Alec
              Baldwin about the time he shot "Red October" he carried himself right and had the
              green eyes
              and the look George Clooney would have been tolerable Kurt Russell would have
              worked Geordino depends on the Pitt casting I always say Jim Belushi with
              Baldwin
              with Clooney /Oliver Platt with Russell I see Jon Favreau (were talking
              perfect world here I realize that Belushi and Baldwin are past the role and even
              Russell may be long in the tooth but Executive Decision and that recent Cop
              opus he did show he still has some action left). Pearlmutter no contest John
              Rhys-Davies check please.
              Sandecker, I had several ideas for Sandecker but after seeing "The Contender"
              I realized Gary Oldman could nail the part. Last get Queen Latifah as the
              Jailer, Tetchy Kataro as our French villain and Louis GossetJr., his African
              henchman
              then give the project to John McTiernan to Direct, Ken Adam for the art
              direction, Ernest Lehman to collaborate with Cussler on the script and get Michael
              Kaman to score the film. All perfect world stuff but you asked. Sorry about
              the suit comment but you sure sounded like a PR hack in your posts. Of course I
              usually come off as a stubborn hot head but then again I am a stubborn hot
              head and a bit of a jerk. Still think if HE WHO I WILL NO SPEAK plays Pitt the
              project is sunk. So I'll probably spend my $9.00 on the B-25 and wait for it to
              come out on HBO. Love to Chat But we have a Fly in here at Eagle Field Today
              and I've got to get some shut eye.

              Mark

            • Audralee Thorpe
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2003
                It seems that I'm about to stick my nose into a really hot topic but what
                about Jim Caviezel for Pitt? Just in case the name doesn't jump out, High
                Crimes, Count of Monte Cristo, Frenquency. He has the look or at least how
                I would picture Pitt to be. If anything he's not old enough. Remember Pitt
                is suppose to be a Vietnem vet. It's where he and Sandecker met. If memory
                recalls correctly, Pitt shot Sandecker down to keep him from being captured
                during that war. Since Saharah takes place in '96 that would actually place
                Pitt in his late forties. But I think Caviezel has the ability to pull off
                a pretty good Pitt. I admit, that I am not in "the business" just an CC
                fan.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 8, 2003
                  Jim Caviezel I like it ! Oliver Platt as Al close to perfect combo

                  Mark

                • keller hackbusch
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 9, 2003
                    Jim Caviezel sounds good to me, I have never thought of him, but I like the
                    idea. Jim is currently filming in Italy with Mel Gibson in Mel's new work,
                    The Passion, where Jim plays Jesus. The entire film is in Latin and it
                    intended to make you feel the story...

                    What about actor Brad Johnson, who I just saw staring as Ray Steele in the
                    Tribulation Force. He looks pretty close to my view of Pitt.

                    Personally, I could accept blatent anti-americans like Clooney or Baldwin as
                    Pitt. Boo Hiss. I would rather not have a movie at all.

                    later,

                    killerkellerh