Re: Is Matt a Red Herring?

  • danharrity
    Message 1 of 11 , May 16, 2003
      Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that any
      actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job and
      voice training.

      God knows I love Cussler's books to death, but it's not life-and-
      death to the studio to make them true to the original descriptions.
      The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and they'll
      appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
      appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.

      Look at how they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview w/ the
      Vampire. Cruise? For Lestat?! I know it seems ridiculous but in the
      end the Vampire Chronicles really were nothing more than soft-core
      porn anyway, so they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
      message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
      entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.
    • flintderick
      Message 2 of 11 , May 16, 2003
        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "danharrity"
        <danharrity@y...> wrote:
        > Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that
        any
        > actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job
        and
        > voice training.< Exactly why the right actor should play role (In
        your words not mine)the schlocky nature of the books need superior
        actors to make it real.

        > The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and
        they'll> If the studios knew what they were doing they might have at
        least gotten Pitts rank and service right in " Raise The Titanic"

        > appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
        > appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.> Matt has
        never been in a hit all of his films have performed well under studio
        expectations

        > they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
        > message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
        > entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.> On the
        contrary Dickens was the Cussler of his time his novels were
        incredibly popular but at the time critic's call them overly
        sentimental populist drival

        Mark