Re: Is Matt a Red Herring?

    Message 1 of 11 , May 14, 2003
      i dont know if its the same guy or not but the guy I think would be
      good is the Freir Tuck in the Kevin Costner bomb of "Robin Hood" he
      also played on the British versoin of "Whats My Line" or Dom Deluise
      for St. Julien. The talk was that Willaim H. Macy was to play
      Sanddecker.
      Baba

      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "swaygirloz"
      <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
      > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
      > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
      > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
      > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
      >
      > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
      you
      > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
      > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
      the
      > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
      can't
      > remember his name)
      >
      > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
      > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
      >
      > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
    • danharrity
      Message 2 of 11 , May 16, 2003
        Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that any
        actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job and
        voice training.

        God knows I love Cussler's books to death, but it's not life-and-
        death to the studio to make them true to the original descriptions.
        The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and they'll
        appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
        appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.

        Look at how they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview w/ the
        Vampire. Cruise? For Lestat?! I know it seems ridiculous but in the
        end the Vampire Chronicles really were nothing more than soft-core
        porn anyway, so they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
        message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
        entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.
      • flintderick
        Message 3 of 11 , May 16, 2003
          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "danharrity"
          <danharrity@y...> wrote:
          > Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that
          any
          > actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job
          and
          > voice training.< Exactly why the right actor should play role (In
          your words not mine)the schlocky nature of the books need superior
          actors to make it real.

          > The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and
          they'll> If the studios knew what they were doing they might have at
          least gotten Pitts rank and service right in " Raise The Titanic"

          > appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
          > appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.> Matt has
          never been in a hit all of his films have performed well under studio
          expectations

          > they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
          > message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
          > entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.> On the
          contrary Dickens was the Cussler of his time his novels were
          incredibly popular but at the time critic's call them overly
          sentimental populist drival

          Mark