Re: Is Matt a Red Herring?

    Message 1 of 11 , May 14, 2003
      i dont know if its the same guy or not but the guy I think would be
      good is the Freir Tuck in the Kevin Costner bomb of "Robin Hood" he
      also played on the British versoin of "Whats My Line" or Dom Deluise
      for St. Julien. The talk was that Willaim H. Macy was to play
      Sanddecker.
      Baba

      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "swaygirloz"
      <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
      > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
      > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
      > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
      > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
      >
      > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
      you
      > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
      > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
      the
      > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
      can't
      > remember his name)
      >
      > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
      > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
      >
      > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
    • Deb
      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2003
        Ok, I tried to post this morning but it seems to have gotten lost in
        cyberspace. I will try again.
        There is a couple of names beinging dropped by the cussler camp
        saying that they are in "talks"....William H. Macy for Sandecker,
        Salma Hayek for Eve Rojas and Ray Ellin and Nick Turtorro are being
        considered for the role of Al, but no conformations on any of these.
        When asked about the other characters such as St Julien, Yeager, Gunn
        no names have been suggested yet so I do not think anyone has been
        cast as Gunn (at least the Cussler Camp isn't saying so). I get my
        information from Carole Barthloweaux(I know I probably spelled it
        wrong) who is Dr. Cusslers PR person.
        Debbie

        <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
        > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
        > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
        > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
        > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
        >
        > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
        you
        > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
        > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
        the
        > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
        can't
        > remember his name)
        >
        > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
        > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
        >
        > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
      • danharrity
        Message 3 of 11 , May 16, 2003
          Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that any
          actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job and
          voice training.

          God knows I love Cussler's books to death, but it's not life-and-
          death to the studio to make them true to the original descriptions.
          The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and they'll
          appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
          appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.

          Look at how they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview w/ the
          Vampire. Cruise? For Lestat?! I know it seems ridiculous but in the
          end the Vampire Chronicles really were nothing more than soft-core
          porn anyway, so they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
          message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
          entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.
        • flintderick
          Message 4 of 11 , May 16, 2003
            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "danharrity"
            <danharrity@y...> wrote:
            > Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that
            any
            > actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job
            and
            > voice training.< Exactly why the right actor should play role (In
            your words not mine)the schlocky nature of the books need superior
            actors to make it real.

            > The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and
            they'll> If the studios knew what they were doing they might have at
            least gotten Pitts rank and service right in " Raise The Titanic"

            > appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
            > appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.> Matt has
            never been in a hit all of his films have performed well under studio
            expectations

            > they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
            > message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
            > entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.> On the
            contrary Dickens was the Cussler of his time his novels were
            incredibly popular but at the time critic's call them overly
            sentimental populist drival

            Mark