Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Is Matt a Red Herring?

  • Silkwind
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13, 2003
      And who might that be playing Rudi Gunn??
      Also, I can't remember if St. Julian Perlmutter is a character in "Sahara",
      but I wonder who would everyone like to see play his role???

      Nancy Silk, Mini Long Dachshunds
      silkwind@...
      www.silkwind-dachshunds.com

      rudi was picked months ago.

      =====

    • swaygirloz
      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2003
        St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
        discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
        Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
        (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!

        It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of you
        know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
        called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as the
        professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry, can't
        remember his name)

        who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
        imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?

        Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2003
          i dont know if its the same guy or not but the guy I think would be
          good is the Freir Tuck in the Kevin Costner bomb of "Robin Hood" he
          also played on the British versoin of "Whats My Line" or Dom Deluise
          for St. Julien. The talk was that Willaim H. Macy was to play
          Sanddecker.
          Baba

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "swaygirloz"
          <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
          > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
          > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
          > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
          > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
          >
          > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
          you
          > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
          > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
          the
          > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
          can't
          > remember his name)
          >
          > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
          > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
          >
          > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
        • Deb
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2003
            Ok, I tried to post this morning but it seems to have gotten lost in
            cyberspace. I will try again.
            There is a couple of names beinging dropped by the cussler camp
            saying that they are in "talks"....William H. Macy for Sandecker,
            Salma Hayek for Eve Rojas and Ray Ellin and Nick Turtorro are being
            considered for the role of Al, but no conformations on any of these.
            When asked about the other characters such as St Julien, Yeager, Gunn
            no names have been suggested yet so I do not think anyone has been
            cast as Gunn (at least the Cussler Camp isn't saying so). I get my
            information from Carole Barthloweaux(I know I probably spelled it
            wrong) who is Dr. Cusslers PR person.
            Debbie

            <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
            > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
            > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
            > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
            > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
            >
            > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
            you
            > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
            > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
            the
            > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
            can't
            > remember his name)
            >
            > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
            > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
            >
            > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
          • danharrity
            Message 5 of 11 , May 16, 2003
              Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that any
              actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job and
              voice training.

              God knows I love Cussler's books to death, but it's not life-and-
              death to the studio to make them true to the original descriptions.
              The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and they'll
              appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
              appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.

              Look at how they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview w/ the
              Vampire. Cruise? For Lestat?! I know it seems ridiculous but in the
              end the Vampire Chronicles really were nothing more than soft-core
              porn anyway, so they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
              message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
              entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.
            • flintderick
              Message 6 of 11 , May 16, 2003
                --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "danharrity"
                <danharrity@y...> wrote:
                > Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that
                any
                > actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job
                and
                > voice training.< Exactly why the right actor should play role (In
                your words not mine)the schlocky nature of the books need superior
                actors to make it real.

                > The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and
                they'll> If the studios knew what they were doing they might have at
                least gotten Pitts rank and service right in " Raise The Titanic"

                > appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
                > appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.> Matt has
                never been in a hit all of his films have performed well under studio
                expectations

                > they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
                > message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
                > entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.> On the
                contrary Dickens was the Cussler of his time his novels were
                incredibly popular but at the time critic's call them overly
                sentimental populist drival

                Mark