Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Is Matt a Red Herring?

  • swaygirloz
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2003
      here's a stretch... i don't know if you just O/S know who this bloke
      is... he's an aussie actor called Richard Roxborough... He was in the
      movie, Moulin Rouge, as the "Count" (or something)... I know he is
      blonde... but a pack of hair dye could fix that.

      Sandecker... I always imagined Rip Torn... Don't know why...

      Al... Jim Belushi is a good choice... he's little and solid... but
      what about the hair? LOL

      Rudi.... ?????

      Yves Massarde.... ????

      Gen Kazim.... ????
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9, 2003
        NO WAY not Jim Belushi as Al he's to tall not big enough in the chest
        and arms and not a good actor. I can see Jonathan Frakes as Pitt but
        still think they should try to find unknown actors for both parts Al
        would be the hardest to find because of his description compared to
        Dirk
        Baba

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Silkwind"
        <silkwind@m...> wrote:
        > Jim Belushi would be GREAT as Al! Good choice, Mark!
        >
        > Nancy Silk, Mini Long Dachshunds
        > silkwind@m...
        > www.silkwind-dachshunds.com
        >
        > By the way
        > Jonathan Frakes as Pitt? Gary Oldman as Sandecker? Jim Belushi as AL
        >

        > Just Thinkin
        > Mark

      • travelershome
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2003
          rudi was picked months ago.

          =====

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Silkwind
          Message 4 of 11 , May 13, 2003
            And who might that be playing Rudi Gunn??
            Also, I can't remember if St. Julian Perlmutter is a character in "Sahara",
            but I wonder who would everyone like to see play his role???

            Message 5 of 11 , May 14, 2003
              St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
              discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
              Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
              (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!

              It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of you
              know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
              called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as the
              professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry, can't
              remember his name)

              who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
              imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?

              Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
              Message 6 of 11 , May 14, 2003
                i dont know if its the same guy or not but the guy I think would be
                good is the Freir Tuck in the Kevin Costner bomb of "Robin Hood" he
                also played on the British versoin of "Whats My Line" or Dom Deluise
                for St. Julien. The talk was that Willaim H. Macy was to play
                Sanddecker.
                Baba

                --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "swaygirloz"
                <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
                > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
                > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
                > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
                > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
                >
                > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
                you
                > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
                > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
                the
                > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
                can't
                > remember his name)
                >
                > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
                > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
                >
                > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
              • Deb
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2003
                  Ok, I tried to post this morning but it seems to have gotten lost in
                  cyberspace. I will try again.
                  There is a couple of names beinging dropped by the cussler camp
                  saying that they are in "talks"....William H. Macy for Sandecker,
                  Salma Hayek for Eve Rojas and Ray Ellin and Nick Turtorro are being
                  considered for the role of Al, but no conformations on any of these.
                  When asked about the other characters such as St Julien, Yeager, Gunn
                  no names have been suggested yet so I do not think anyone has been
                  cast as Gunn (at least the Cussler Camp isn't saying so). I get my
                  information from Carole Barthloweaux(I know I probably spelled it
                  wrong) who is Dr. Cusslers PR person.
                  Debbie

                  <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
                  > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
                  > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
                  > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
                  > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
                  >
                  > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
                  you
                  > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
                  > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
                  the
                  > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
                  can't
                  > remember his name)
                  >
                  > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
                  > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
                  >
                  > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
                • danharrity
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 16, 2003
                    Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that any
                    actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job and
                    voice training.

                    God knows I love Cussler's books to death, but it's not life-and-
                    death to the studio to make them true to the original descriptions.
                    The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and they'll
                    appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
                    appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.

                    Look at how they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview w/ the
                    Vampire. Cruise? For Lestat?! I know it seems ridiculous but in the
                    end the Vampire Chronicles really were nothing more than soft-core
                    porn anyway, so they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
                    message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
                    entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.
                  • flintderick
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 16, 2003
                      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "danharrity"
                      <danharrity@y...> wrote:
                      > Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that
                      any
                      > actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job
                      and
                      > voice training.< Exactly why the right actor should play role (In
                      your words not mine)the schlocky nature of the books need superior
                      actors to make it real.

                      > The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and
                      they'll> If the studios knew what they were doing they might have at
                      least gotten Pitts rank and service right in " Raise The Titanic"

                      > appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
                      > appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.> Matt has
                      never been in a hit all of his films have performed well under studio
                      expectations

                      > they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
                      > message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
                      > entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.> On the
                      contrary Dickens was the Cussler of his time his novels were
                      incredibly popular but at the time critic's call them overly
                      sentimental populist drival

                      Mark