Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Is Matt a Red Herring?

  • keller hackbusch
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7 4:35 PM
      clooney has the star power to make the movie an huge success, but again, i
      am not sure if he can pull it off. I suppose he is better than matt and
      definetly better than tom cruise. i still have to go back to the early
      articles where cc said that dp was to be played by Hugh Jackman. I do like
      the black helicopter theories...keep them coming.

      I'll give you oldman for sandecker, that would be a good fit. I don't like
      frakes or belushi in those roles. i guess i've always seen giordino as
      sylvester stallone, but he is way to old for this movie.

      killerkellerh

      >From: flintderick <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
      >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Is Matt a Red Herring?
      >Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 21:26:35 -0000
      >
      >From what I read in the last post Matt as Dirk isn't a lock Once
      >again I seen Lancings hand Matt is so wrong for the role that the fan
      >community will embrace George Clooney when he's announced for the
      >role.This may sound like Black Helicopter stuff but it does have some
      >precident,and with Paramount involved anything can happen. By the way
      >Jonathan Frakes as Pitt? Gary Oldman as Sandecker? Jim Belushi as AL
      >

      >Just Thinkin
      >Mark

    • swaygirloz
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8 3:03 AM
        here's a stretch... i don't know if you just O/S know who this bloke
        is... he's an aussie actor called Richard Roxborough... He was in the
        movie, Moulin Rouge, as the "Count" (or something)... I know he is
        blonde... but a pack of hair dye could fix that.

        Sandecker... I always imagined Rip Torn... Don't know why...

        Al... Jim Belushi is a good choice... he's little and solid... but
        what about the hair? LOL

        Rudi.... ?????

        Yves Massarde.... ????

        Gen Kazim.... ????
        Message 3 of 11 , May 9 12:24 PM
          NO WAY not Jim Belushi as Al he's to tall not big enough in the chest
          and arms and not a good actor. I can see Jonathan Frakes as Pitt but
          still think they should try to find unknown actors for both parts Al
          would be the hardest to find because of his description compared to
          Dirk
          Baba

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Silkwind"
          <silkwind@m...> wrote:
          > Jim Belushi would be GREAT as Al! Good choice, Mark!
          >
          > Nancy Silk, Mini Long Dachshunds
          > silkwind@m...
          > www.silkwind-dachshunds.com
          >
          > By the way
          > Jonathan Frakes as Pitt? Gary Oldman as Sandecker? Jim Belushi as AL
          >

          > Just Thinkin
          > Mark

        • travelershome
          Message 4 of 11 , May 13 2:19 PM
            rudi was picked months ago.

            =====

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Silkwind
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13 8:13 PM
              And who might that be playing Rudi Gunn??
              Also, I can't remember if St. Julian Perlmutter is a character in "Sahara",
              but I wonder who would everyone like to see play his role???

              Message 6 of 11 , May 14 3:32 AM
                St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
                discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
                Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
                (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!

                It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of you
                know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
                called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as the
                professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry, can't
                remember his name)

                who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
                imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?

                Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14 12:49 PM
                  i dont know if its the same guy or not but the guy I think would be
                  good is the Freir Tuck in the Kevin Costner bomb of "Robin Hood" he
                  also played on the British versoin of "Whats My Line" or Dom Deluise
                  for St. Julien. The talk was that Willaim H. Macy was to play
                  Sanddecker.
                  Baba

                  --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "swaygirloz"
                  <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
                  > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
                  > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
                  > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
                  > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
                  >
                  > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
                  you
                  > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
                  > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
                  the
                  > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
                  can't
                  > remember his name)
                  >
                  > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
                  > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
                  >
                  > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
                • Deb
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14 1:05 PM
                    Ok, I tried to post this morning but it seems to have gotten lost in
                    cyberspace. I will try again.
                    There is a couple of names beinging dropped by the cussler camp
                    saying that they are in "talks"....William H. Macy for Sandecker,
                    Salma Hayek for Eve Rojas and Ray Ellin and Nick Turtorro are being
                    considered for the role of Al, but no conformations on any of these.
                    When asked about the other characters such as St Julien, Yeager, Gunn
                    no names have been suggested yet so I do not think anyone has been
                    cast as Gunn (at least the Cussler Camp isn't saying so). I get my
                    information from Carole Barthloweaux(I know I probably spelled it
                    wrong) who is Dr. Cusslers PR person.
                    Debbie

                    <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
                    > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
                    > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
                    > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
                    > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
                    >
                    > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
                    you
                    > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
                    > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
                    the
                    > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
                    can't
                    > remember his name)
                    >
                    > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
                    > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
                    >
                    > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
                  • danharrity
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 16 4:04 AM
                      Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that any
                      actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job and
                      voice training.

                      God knows I love Cussler's books to death, but it's not life-and-
                      death to the studio to make them true to the original descriptions.
                      The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and they'll
                      appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
                      appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.

                      Look at how they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview w/ the
                      Vampire. Cruise? For Lestat?! I know it seems ridiculous but in the
                      end the Vampire Chronicles really were nothing more than soft-core
                      porn anyway, so they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
                      message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
                      entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.
                    • flintderick
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 16 9:15 AM
                        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "danharrity"
                        <danharrity@y...> wrote:
                        > Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that
                        any
                        > actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job
                        and
                        > voice training.< Exactly why the right actor should play role (In
                        your words not mine)the schlocky nature of the books need superior
                        actors to make it real.

                        > The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and
                        they'll> If the studios knew what they were doing they might have at
                        least gotten Pitts rank and service right in " Raise The Titanic"

                        > appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
                        > appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.> Matt has
                        never been in a hit all of his films have performed well under studio
                        expectations

                        > they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
                        > message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
                        > entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.> On the
                        contrary Dickens was the Cussler of his time his novels were
                        incredibly popular but at the time critic's call them overly
                        sentimental populist drival

                        Mark