Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Is Matt a Red Herring?

  • Silkwind
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2003
      Jim Belushi would be GREAT as Al! Good choice, Mark!

      Nancy Silk, Mini Long Dachshunds
      silkwind@...
      www.silkwind-dachshunds.com

      By the way
      Jonathan Frakes as Pitt? Gary Oldman as Sandecker? Jim Belushi as AL

      Just Thinkin
      Mark

    • keller hackbusch
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2003
        clooney has the star power to make the movie an huge success, but again, i
        am not sure if he can pull it off. I suppose he is better than matt and
        definetly better than tom cruise. i still have to go back to the early
        articles where cc said that dp was to be played by Hugh Jackman. I do like
        the black helicopter theories...keep them coming.

        I'll give you oldman for sandecker, that would be a good fit. I don't like
        frakes or belushi in those roles. i guess i've always seen giordino as
        sylvester stallone, but he is way to old for this movie.

        killerkellerh

        >From: flintderick <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
        >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Is Matt a Red Herring?
        >Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 21:26:35 -0000
        >
        >From what I read in the last post Matt as Dirk isn't a lock Once
        >again I seen Lancings hand Matt is so wrong for the role that the fan
        >community will embrace George Clooney when he's announced for the
        >role.This may sound like Black Helicopter stuff but it does have some
        >precident,and with Paramount involved anything can happen. By the way
        >Jonathan Frakes as Pitt? Gary Oldman as Sandecker? Jim Belushi as AL
        >

        >Just Thinkin
        >Mark

      • swaygirloz
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2003
          here's a stretch... i don't know if you just O/S know who this bloke
          is... he's an aussie actor called Richard Roxborough... He was in the
          movie, Moulin Rouge, as the "Count" (or something)... I know he is
          blonde... but a pack of hair dye could fix that.

          Sandecker... I always imagined Rip Torn... Don't know why...

          Al... Jim Belushi is a good choice... he's little and solid... but
          what about the hair? LOL

          Rudi.... ?????

          Yves Massarde.... ????

          Gen Kazim.... ????
          Message 4 of 11 , May 9, 2003
            NO WAY not Jim Belushi as Al he's to tall not big enough in the chest
            and arms and not a good actor. I can see Jonathan Frakes as Pitt but
            still think they should try to find unknown actors for both parts Al
            would be the hardest to find because of his description compared to
            Dirk
            Baba

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Silkwind"
            <silkwind@m...> wrote:
            > Jim Belushi would be GREAT as Al! Good choice, Mark!
            >
            > Nancy Silk, Mini Long Dachshunds
            > silkwind@m...
            > www.silkwind-dachshunds.com
            >
            > By the way
            > Jonathan Frakes as Pitt? Gary Oldman as Sandecker? Jim Belushi as AL
            >

            > Just Thinkin
            > Mark

          • travelershome
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2003
              rudi was picked months ago.

              =====

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • Silkwind
              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2003
                And who might that be playing Rudi Gunn??
                Also, I can't remember if St. Julian Perlmutter is a character in "Sahara",
                but I wonder who would everyone like to see play his role???

                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2003
                  St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
                  discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
                  Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
                  (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!

                  It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of you
                  know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
                  called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as the
                  professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry, can't
                  remember his name)

                  who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
                  imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?

                  Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14, 2003
                    i dont know if its the same guy or not but the guy I think would be
                    good is the Freir Tuck in the Kevin Costner bomb of "Robin Hood" he
                    also played on the British versoin of "Whats My Line" or Dom Deluise
                    for St. Julien. The talk was that Willaim H. Macy was to play
                    Sanddecker.
                    Baba

                    --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "swaygirloz"
                    <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
                    > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
                    > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
                    > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
                    > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
                    >
                    > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
                    you
                    > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
                    > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
                    the
                    > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
                    can't
                    > remember his name)
                    >
                    > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
                    > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
                    >
                    > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
                  • Deb
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 14, 2003
                      Ok, I tried to post this morning but it seems to have gotten lost in
                      cyberspace. I will try again.
                      There is a couple of names beinging dropped by the cussler camp
                      saying that they are in "talks"....William H. Macy for Sandecker,
                      Salma Hayek for Eve Rojas and Ray Ellin and Nick Turtorro are being
                      considered for the role of Al, but no conformations on any of these.
                      When asked about the other characters such as St Julien, Yeager, Gunn
                      no names have been suggested yet so I do not think anyone has been
                      cast as Gunn (at least the Cussler Camp isn't saying so). I get my
                      information from Carole Barthloweaux(I know I probably spelled it
                      wrong) who is Dr. Cusslers PR person.
                      Debbie

                      <swaygirloz@y...> wrote:
                      > St. Julien Perlmutter is in the book Sahara... he is the one who
                      > discovers that the Iron clad from the Civil War is somewhere in
                      > Africa... and the Lincoln was aboard...well... the old prospector
                      > (Clive Cussler?) knows about it too!
                      >
                      > It's hard to pick a person to play him... i don't know if many of
                      you
                      > know this guy... he is this old fat british guy in a tv show
                      > called "Pie in the Sky"... he was also in Naked Gun 2 and 1/2 (as
                      the
                      > professor)... he is who i imagine when i read the book (sorry,
                      can't
                      > remember his name)
                      >
                      > who would make a good Admiral Sandecker? For some reason I always
                      > imagine Rip Torn! LOL... would he be too old now?
                      >
                      > Who is playing Rudi Gunn?
                    • danharrity
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 16, 2003
                        Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that any
                        actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job and
                        voice training.

                        God knows I love Cussler's books to death, but it's not life-and-
                        death to the studio to make them true to the original descriptions.
                        The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and they'll
                        appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
                        appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.

                        Look at how they cast Tom Cruise as Lestat in Interview w/ the
                        Vampire. Cruise? For Lestat?! I know it seems ridiculous but in the
                        end the Vampire Chronicles really were nothing more than soft-core
                        porn anyway, so they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
                        message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
                        entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.
                      • flintderick
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 16, 2003
                          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "danharrity"
                          <danharrity@y...> wrote:
                          > Folks, bear in mind that the Dirk Pitt books are so schlocky that
                          any
                          > actors could pull off the characterizations given a hair-dye job
                          and
                          > voice training.< Exactly why the right actor should play role (In
                          your words not mine)the schlocky nature of the books need superior
                          actors to make it real.

                          > The studios are after bucks to make it worth their while, and
                          they'll> If the studios knew what they were doing they might have at
                          least gotten Pitts rank and service right in " Raise The Titanic"

                          > appeal to the fans of tried-and-true MOVIE stars more than they'll
                          > appeal to fans of the books in order to turn a profit.> Matt has
                          never been in a hit all of his films have performed well under studio
                          expectations

                          > they didn't take it as "serious" literature with a
                          > message. Kind of the same with the Dirk Pitt series. It's fun
                          > entertainment but, well... it's ain't Charles Dickens.> On the
                          contrary Dickens was the Cussler of his time his novels were
                          incredibly popular but at the time critic's call them overly
                          sentimental populist drival

                          Mark