Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] CNN Cussler interview

  • numa_diver <NUMA_Diver@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
      This is a very depressing topic. I am really looking forward to the
      new movie and have refrained from writing anything on the topic
      of "cast" until now. I had been trusting the fact that Dr. Cussler
      has total control of cast approval. Now I'm worried...I know that Dr.
      Cussler would not even think about Tom Cruise unless there was some
      unknown force at play here. Now don't get me wrong, I think Tom
      Cruise is a great actor and has done a great job with the roles he
      has been given, but Dirk Pitt is different. You cannot cast a
      5'8"
      boyish faced actor for a weathered 6'4" manly part. We all have
      our
      ideas of what Dirk should look like and we have arrived at those
      conclusions after reading the descriptions in our beloved books. I
      have to tell you that I have always pictured a younger Tom Selleck as
      being Dirk Pitt, and if I'm not mistaken, Dr. Cussler
      himself,also
      stated at one time that he first pictured Selleck as Dirk Pitt. Now
      how can we go from Selleck to Cruise??? We all remember too well the
      tragedy of "Raise the Titanic" on film. I would hate to look back
      on "Sahara", 5 or 10 years down the road and say..."geesh that would
      have been such a great movie if they would have only had the right
      actor." I am not sure of the time limits that have been set for this
      movie but I would gladly wait another 5 years if it meant that the
      right actor would be cast for Dirk. I have heard some good
      suggestions including David James Elliot and Hugh Jackman, both
      smaller names that would allow you to focus more on "Dirk Pitt" and
      not the actor playing him. Now please keep in mind, this is only my
      opinion but at least take a moment to reread ANY of the books and
      after doing so, look up a picture of Tom Cruise and ask
      yourself..."Is he even close?"
      Take care
      Still Hoping
      NUMA Diver

      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <fhockeyf@y...>
      wrote:
      > It is starting to look like he doesn't have the "creative control"
      > that he was supposed to have, while I will see the movie, I will
      wait
      > till it is released on video/dvd, if Tom Cruise is cast to play
      Dirk
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
        I could not agree more having Tom Cruise play Dirk Pitt would make me
        puke. Personally I dont like him that much and dont think of him as a
        good actor. although I did like him in "Far and Away". The reason CC
        hasnt done a movie since the disaster "Titanic" he wanted total
        control now he has seemed to have lost that. But like NUMA diver I
        always pitured a young Tom Selleck as Dirk. If the little guy Cruise
        is cast you have to have the guy that played Minime play Al. I'm not
        sure I will see it or not.
        Baba

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "numa_diver

      • Cornelius Ryan
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2002
          Hija all,

          I also think Cruise is not the right man.
          Ok, he is charming and attractive in a way, but I
          don't think he has the rough edge Pitt has. And he is
          certainly not as tall. At the moment I can't think of
          someone else, although he should be american, like
          Pitt.
          The movie is on my seeing list, that's for sure.

          Regards,

          Cornelius

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com