Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] CNN Cussler interview

  • travelershome
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
      not tom cruise to play dirk...he is the worst possible
      choice. clive started to say it is out of my... and
      was interrupted.is it out of his hands who plays
      dirk...i thought HE had star and director approval???

      =====

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Deb
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
        It is starting to look like he doesn't have the "creative control"
        that he was supposed to have, while I will see the movie, I will wait
        till it is released on video/dvd, if Tom Cruise is cast to play Dirk
        Pitt. I do not think Cruise has the "right stuff" to pull this off.

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@y..., travelershome <travelershome@y...>

      • numa_diver <NUMA_Diver@hotmail.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
          This is a very depressing topic. I am really looking forward to the
          new movie and have refrained from writing anything on the topic
          of "cast" until now. I had been trusting the fact that Dr. Cussler
          has total control of cast approval. Now I'm worried...I know that Dr.
          Cussler would not even think about Tom Cruise unless there was some
          unknown force at play here. Now don't get me wrong, I think Tom
          Cruise is a great actor and has done a great job with the roles he
          has been given, but Dirk Pitt is different. You cannot cast a
          5'8"
          boyish faced actor for a weathered 6'4" manly part. We all have
          our
          ideas of what Dirk should look like and we have arrived at those
          conclusions after reading the descriptions in our beloved books. I
          have to tell you that I have always pictured a younger Tom Selleck as
          being Dirk Pitt, and if I'm not mistaken, Dr. Cussler
          himself,also
          stated at one time that he first pictured Selleck as Dirk Pitt. Now
          how can we go from Selleck to Cruise??? We all remember too well the
          tragedy of "Raise the Titanic" on film. I would hate to look back
          on "Sahara", 5 or 10 years down the road and say..."geesh that would
          have been such a great movie if they would have only had the right
          actor." I am not sure of the time limits that have been set for this
          movie but I would gladly wait another 5 years if it meant that the
          right actor would be cast for Dirk. I have heard some good
          suggestions including David James Elliot and Hugh Jackman, both
          smaller names that would allow you to focus more on "Dirk Pitt" and
          not the actor playing him. Now please keep in mind, this is only my
          opinion but at least take a moment to reread ANY of the books and
          after doing so, look up a picture of Tom Cruise and ask
          yourself..."Is he even close?"
          Take care
          Still Hoping
          NUMA Diver

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <fhockeyf@y...>
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
            I could not agree more having Tom Cruise play Dirk Pitt would make me
            puke. Personally I dont like him that much and dont think of him as a
            good actor. although I did like him in "Far and Away". The reason CC
            hasnt done a movie since the disaster "Titanic" he wanted total
            control now he has seemed to have lost that. But like NUMA diver I
            always pitured a young Tom Selleck as Dirk. If the little guy Cruise
            is cast you have to have the guy that played Minime play Al. I'm not
            sure I will see it or not.
            Baba

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "numa_diver

          • Cornelius Ryan
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2002
              Hija all,

              I also think Cruise is not the right man.
              Ok, he is charming and attractive in a way, but I
              don't think he has the rough edge Pitt has. And he is
              certainly not as tall. At the moment I can't think of
              someone else, although he should be american, like
              Pitt.
              The movie is on my seeing list, that's for sure.

              Regards,

              Cornelius

              http://uk.my.yahoo.com