CNN Cussler interview

  • James Espey
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
      http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/books/12/02/cnna.cussler/index.html

      > From: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: 5 Dec 2002 12:16:54 -0000
      > To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Digest Number 53
      >
      > Have you got the URL?
    • travelershome
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2002
        not tom cruise to play dirk...he is the worst possible
        choice. clive started to say it is out of my... and
        was interrupted.is it out of his hands who plays
        dirk...i thought HE had star and director approval???

        =====

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Deb
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
          It is starting to look like he doesn't have the "creative control"
          that he was supposed to have, while I will see the movie, I will wait
          till it is released on video/dvd, if Tom Cruise is cast to play Dirk
          Pitt. I do not think Cruise has the "right stuff" to pull this off.

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@y..., travelershome <travelershome@y...>

        • numa_diver <NUMA_Diver@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
            This is a very depressing topic. I am really looking forward to the
            new movie and have refrained from writing anything on the topic
            of "cast" until now. I had been trusting the fact that Dr. Cussler
            has total control of cast approval. Now I'm worried...I know that Dr.
            Cussler would not even think about Tom Cruise unless there was some
            unknown force at play here. Now don't get me wrong, I think Tom
            Cruise is a great actor and has done a great job with the roles he
            has been given, but Dirk Pitt is different. You cannot cast a
            5'8"
            boyish faced actor for a weathered 6'4" manly part. We all have
            our
            ideas of what Dirk should look like and we have arrived at those
            conclusions after reading the descriptions in our beloved books. I
            have to tell you that I have always pictured a younger Tom Selleck as
            being Dirk Pitt, and if I'm not mistaken, Dr. Cussler
            himself,also
            stated at one time that he first pictured Selleck as Dirk Pitt. Now
            how can we go from Selleck to Cruise??? We all remember too well the
            tragedy of "Raise the Titanic" on film. I would hate to look back
            on "Sahara", 5 or 10 years down the road and say..."geesh that would
            have been such a great movie if they would have only had the right
            actor." I am not sure of the time limits that have been set for this
            movie but I would gladly wait another 5 years if it meant that the
            right actor would be cast for Dirk. I have heard some good
            suggestions including David James Elliot and Hugh Jackman, both
            smaller names that would allow you to focus more on "Dirk Pitt" and
            not the actor playing him. Now please keep in mind, this is only my
            opinion but at least take a moment to reread ANY of the books and
            after doing so, look up a picture of Tom Cruise and ask
            yourself..."Is he even close?"
            Take care
            Still Hoping
            NUMA Diver

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <fhockeyf@y...>
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
              I could not agree more having Tom Cruise play Dirk Pitt would make me
              puke. Personally I dont like him that much and dont think of him as a
              good actor. although I did like him in "Far and Away". The reason CC
              hasnt done a movie since the disaster "Titanic" he wanted total
              control now he has seemed to have lost that. But like NUMA diver I
              always pitured a young Tom Selleck as Dirk. If the little guy Cruise
              is cast you have to have the guy that played Minime play Al. I'm not
              sure I will see it or not.
              Baba

              --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "numa_diver

            • Cornelius Ryan
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2002
                Hija all,

                I also think Cruise is not the right man.
                Ok, he is charming and attractive in a way, but I
                don't think he has the rough edge Pitt has. And he is
                certainly not as tall. At the moment I can't think of
                someone else, although he should be american, like
                Pitt.
                The movie is on my seeing list, that's for sure.

                Regards,

                Cornelius

                http://uk.my.yahoo.com