interview with Cussler

  • Amy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 9:18 PM
      didn't know if all of you had read this already since I just
      joined but i found it a wonderful interview and thought I would
      share :)
      Amy

      An interview with Dr. Clive Cussler
      By Marc Levesque

      by Marc Levesque
      (Replicated with the author's permission, this article appeared in
      the Web site of Time2watch)

      Over the years I have been very fortunate to have reviewed some of
      the finest wristwatches in the world, but nothing has given me as
      much pleasure as the opportunity to interview one of my favourite
      authors. At the time of this interview, I had only read one of his
      books, six months later I'm almost half way through his collection
      and I'm starting to wonder what I am going to read once I'm finished.

      I hope you enjoy this interview as much as I enjoyed putting it
      together.

      T2W: Dr. Cussler, could you please tell us how Dirk Pitt's world all
      got started?

      CC: When I first started writing, I was in advertising at the time, I
      was doing most of my writing on weekends. I had studied most of the
      other series heroes and I figured it would be fun for mine to be
      different and put him in and around water. So I dreamed up Dirk Pitt.
      In the first novel, Admiral Sandecker invites Dirk Pitt to leave the
      Air Force and come with him in order to start the National Underwater
      Marine Agency in Washington, DC, which Pitt does. All of the other
      books deal with Pitt's involvement with NUMA, his adventures and the
      mischief he gets into.

      That was in 1965. Then in 1979 during an expedition, where I was
      searching for John Paul Jones' ship, the Bon'homme Richard an Austin
      attorney who was a volunteer suggested that I should incorporate as a
      non-profit organization rather than just write the checks out of my
      own bank account. So that is what I did and that is how NUMA became a
      non-profit organisation in Texas. Therefore, yes Virginia, there
      really is a NUMA! (laughing) And that was the basis for the non-
      fiction NUMA, which has been the umbrella for all the expeditions and
      all of the shipwrecks we've found.

      As for the DOXA watch, when I was beginning my second book, I was the
      creative director for a big ad agency in L.A. My wife said jokingly,
      why don 't you apply for this job? It was a $400/month job as a clerk
      in a Dive shop, perfect for writing underwater books. Well, I was
      just considering switching agencies and I thought what the hell! She
      had a nifty job working nights at the local police department, which
      worked out very well. She had the kids during the day and I would
      have them at night. That way they were never alone. I would put the
      kids to bed, and then I had nothing to do and nobody to talk to, so I
      would write.

      I applied for the job. They had three stores and they were shocked!
      They said that I was a little over qualified, but they hired me
      anyway. (laughing) And after two weeks, the guy said that there was
      nothing they could teach me. Hell I've been diving since 1952 in
      Hawaii while I was in the service. So I ran the store in Santa Ana,
      California. I'd come up in the morning with my portable typewriter
      and when business was slow, I would write.

      U.S. Diver then was the distributor for the DOXA Dive watch, the
      300T. The "in" colour was Orange, but they also had silver and black,
      but you were "big-time" if you had an Orange watch. So, when I left
      the store I had finished my book, I shook hands with the guys and as
      a present they gave me the Orange DOXA dive watch. When I continued
      writing, I just had Dirk wear one too.

      T2W: What are the qualities that attract you to this watch?

      CC: At the time, this watch had a huge steel band, which most watches
      didn't have in those days. We're going back, boy; I've had that piece
      since '69, 32 years. (laughing) It was a heavy watch, very massive
      and masculine looking. People would always remark about the thing. It
      was one of those you had to shake to keep it running. I've worn it
      many times diving in the past and it has never corroded or had any
      problems. There was a place called House of Clocks in L.A. where
      every ten years I would send my watch and they would rebuild it.

      T2W: So I understand you still have that watch?

      CC: Oh, sure.

      T2W: Is this the same watch you are wearing on the rear cover of your
      latest book?

      CC: That¹s it!

      T2W: Do you feel at all responsible for the excitement the re-issue
      is generating?

      CC: I guess indirectly I am (laughing), with Dirk Pitt, NUMA and all
      wearing a DOXA watch. I guess if it weren't for that, they probably
      wouldn't be re-issuing. I couldn't believe it when I was told they
      were going to manufacture 1000 and that they were practically all
      sold already. Ever since Pitt was wearing one, collectors were
      dumbfounded; they were saying that it wasn't an expensive watch,
      what's all the fuss about. I understand the prices have been driven
      up since then; people are even paying $1000 for them. I've met people
      that tell me that they spent two years looking for one.

      T2W: You stated that you used this watch while diving. In your
      opinion, what makes it a good dive watch?

      CC: The bezel is very useful to time your dives and the orange face,
      surprisingly enough is VERY easy to read 30-40-50 down. It was just a
      good solid dive watch. I even have a US Diver's logo on mine, the
      distributors at the time.

      T2W: I have noticed that product description plays a large part in
      your books. I understand that Production of the movie Sahara will
      begin sometime in 2002. Will Dirk be wearing an Orange DOXA Diver in
      the movie?

      CC: I don¹t know why not, he should.

      T2W: I know that Omega has a lot to do with which watch James Bond
      has been wearing lately. Will Doxa be doing any product placement?

      CC: Funny you should talk about product placement and advertising. My
      agent once had lunch with the advertising manager for Rolex; they had
      gone to school together. He asked him, how come you've used all these
      other people in the dive industry in your ads, but never thought of
      using Cussler? The advertising manager turned and said, who's Cussler
      and what's he ever done? (laughing) In this other book I had a guy
      with a Rolex that didn't work so he smashed it on a rock. Every time
      I tell that story, I laugh. I find that Rolex watches are vastly
      overrated compared to the some of the more exotic watches that are
      available today. It's still the "in" watch, because of the
      advertising or whatever.

      T2W: Any additional comments on your upcoming movie?

      CC: Not much to comment on, because they made a botch of Raise the
      Titanic 20 years ago. I wouldn't sell to Hollywood. Finally they gave
      me script, director and casting approval, that's when I sold.

      T2W: Any idea who will be cast to play Dirk, Al and the others?

      CC: Dirk is supposed top be played by Hugh Jackman*. He's a real
      comer, he fits Pitt's image perfectly. The rest of the casting will
      not start until January 2002. Right now everything is just status
      quo. The director is going to be Rob Bowman of X-Files fame.

      T2W: You are considered one of the premier action/adventure writers.
      One of the keys to your writing is your incredible suspenseful
      timing. What can you say about timing and how does it play a role in
      your writing?

      CC: I guess the books are kind of like the old Saturday afternoon
      matinee serials. Most of them were westerns in those days. Where the
      hero is going off the cliff in a car filled with dynamite and that's
      were it would end, until you came back the following Saturday to find
      out what happened. The books are laid out that way, you would end a
      chapter on some kind cliffhanger and then "oh my god" what happens
      next? So you turn the page and start the next chapter.

      (T2W) I have to admit your books have been the cause of quite a
      number of sleepless nights. I just had to keep reading.

      (CC - laughing) Sometimes my plot lines are so convoluted, I get
      calls from friends at 3 am saying; you SOB, you'll never pull this
      one off.

      T2W: As a matter of fact, yesterday evening while reading Atlantis
      Found, I noticed you had written yourself into your book! I must
      admit I got quite a laugh out of it. How did it come about?

      CC: It was a couple of books back, where Pitt was at a classic car
      club meet. He parked his old car next to this guy, an older man with
      grey hair and a grey beard. Pitt walks up and says hi my name is Dirk
      Pitt and before I knew it I had typed in hello my name is Clive
      Cussler. I stopped and looked around and said, gee, why did I do
      that. Then I got to joking around and had them look at each other.
      Then Pitt says, you know the name sounds familiar, but I just can't
      place the face. (laughing) So I just left it in as a joke, figured
      the readers would get a laugh out of it. I thought that was going to
      be the end of it, but then I got 300-400 letters saying how everybody
      liked it. So now I have to do a Hitchcock walk on and people are
      waiting to see where I come in.

      T2W: On that note, can we expect to see you in the motion picture?

      CC: Yes, I will be in SAHARA. In the book I was a prospector, but in
      the movie, I will be driving an old beat-up truck and rescuing Pitt
      and Giordino out in the Sahara.

      T2W: In your opinion, what do you find most exciting about deep sea
      diving and exploration?

      CC: It's always the thrill of the unknown. Everybody dives in the
      Grand Cayman or Bermuda. I don't dive in those places anymore, after
      50 years the thrill just isn't there. I always tell everybody, go
      where nobody goes! Go up into Canada or Alaska, sure it's cold water,
      but you'll be seeing things nobody has seen before! Go into the
      colder waters, from Vancouver up to Anchorage, my gosh, all the
      sounds and all that. Nobody ever dove there before. It's colder than
      hell, but if you get a dry suit, it isn't so bad.

      T2W: You have found many shipwrecks, can you tell us which one the
      most important/impressive?

      CC: Oh. There have been so many. Right now the one that is the big
      deal is the confederate submarine, the Hunley, which we found in
      Charleston. The first submarine to sink a warship, but never came
      back. We found it, raised and brought it to a laboratory where we
      will be excavating it. They will be preserving it so that someday it
      can go on display.

      This year was pretty good, we found the Carpathia, Which of course
      rescued the Titanic survivors only to be torpedoed 6 years later off
      the coast of Ireland. And the Marie Celeste, Which was the famous
      ghost ship they found floating with nobody on board.

      T2W: You have been writing Dirk Pitt novels for nearly 30 years now,
      is it getting more difficult as you go along or has it become easier
      as the character develops?

      CC: I've used so many plots in my books that it's getting hard to be
      original. That's the trouble with a series, I'm writing away when I
      realise I used that same line of dialog six books back. It's become
      very difficult to be original.

      T2W: Are there any plans for another novel after this latest one?

      CC: I have to write at least one more, because of the wild ending on
      Valhalla Rising, so I have to continue that one.

      T2W: You recently published your first non-fiction work, could you
      tell us why you decided to take that direction?

      CC: So many people use to tell me that I should write about all the
      shipwrecks I've found. At the time I was busy with the Pitt books, so
      I worked with a fellow named Craig Dirgo. He did a lot of the easy
      stuff for me, I would write the historical part, and then he would go
      through it and write some more for me. Then I would write in where
      NUMA came in the picture to look for the shipwreck and what have you.

      It was an interesting story on The Sea Hunters. When my agent went
      to "pitch" it to my publisher, they just weren't interested. They
      literally said that nobody reads shipwreck books. My agent insisted,
      well Cussler's got a name and a following. When he came back to me,
      he was quite upset; he asked what should we do? So I said, let's go
      to another publisher! Well obviously my publisher said that they
      couldn't have that, me going to another publisher. So they gave in
      and said OK, we'll print it, but only 50,000 copies. The sales
      department said no way; we know we can sell at least 250,000. Well
      the hardcover went #2 on the New York Time's bestsellers list and the
      paperback went #1! We must have sold over 1 million some odd copies!
      (laughing) We always laugh and called it the book that nobody wanted.

      T2W: It is my understanding that it is going to become a televised
      series?

      CC: Yes, it's going to be called The Sea Hunters and it will be
      filmed up in Nova Scotia. It will run internationally, but I'm not
      certain if it will run domestically. I will be like Arthur C. Clark;
      I will open and close each episode.

      T2W: Of all of your books, which is your favourite so far?

      CC: I like them all for different reasons. Night Probe was one of my
      better plots, Raise the Titanic was probably my best concept. People
      often ask me which car do you like in your collection? I like them
      all for different reasons.

      T2W: How about explorers? Who is your favourite?

      CC: The one that always intrigued me was Magellan, who circled around
      the world and Drake who did it the second time. I'm a history buff, I
      have a PHD in maritime history, so for me it's just fun to follow.
      History is just not being taught in schools like it used to be. Kids
      today have no grasp. It is really unfortunate.

      T2W: Thank you very much for this opportunity Dr. Cussler. This
      interview has been the highlight of my career so far.

      CC (Laughing): You're welcome, Mr. Levesque. I'm sure you will have
      much bigger highlights in the future.

      All in all, it was a very charming and warm interview. I could have
      gone on for hours and I got the impression that he would have gone
      along with me. What an incredibly humble and sincere person. As I
      told him, this definitely was the highlight of my writing career. I
      would like to take this opportunity to thank Carole Bartholomeaux for
      all of her help with this interview. Her firm is responsible for all
      of Clive Cussler's and NUMA's public relations as well as maintaining
      and editing the NUMA.net website.

      Thanks for reading,

      Marc Levesque
      Time2watch

      * Hugh Jackman was originally casted for the role of Dirk Pitt,
      unfortunately due to a scheduling conflict M. Jackman cannot play the
      part.

      DOXA has just announced that they will be donating ten percent of the
      purchase price of each DOXA SEAHUNTER watch to NUMA. For more
      information please visit www.doxawatches.com

      Copyright 2002 National Underwater Marine Agency
      This Web page address is: numa.net/faq/index.htm
      Matters pertaining to this Website should be directed to
      webmaster@...
      Public Relations by Bartholomeaux / Public Relations, Inc.
      Kindly direct all other communications to carole@...
      Last Update: June 2002