Cussler writing style

  • danharrity
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21 4:53 PM
      I can agree that his style is certainly schlocky—actually, pretty
      cheesey sometimes—but comparing him to Ed Wood is a bit too strong!

      I view Cussler's style as a more grown-up version of the Hardy Boys:
      main characters moving all over the globe with zero consideration of
      logistics or expense, governmental bureaucracies portrayed as glowing
      models of super-efficiency, paternalistic authority figures depicted
      as above reproach, and a main character who's almost melodramatically
      perfect: handsome, knowledgeable, strong, ethical, and ludicrously,
      inexplicably rich. You can imagine a little star of light glinting
      from Dirk's teeth whenever he smiles.

      What captivates me is the exuberant, lusty tone of the books.

      Of course, there is always the occasional hilarious description,
      which can be either a turn of phrase or an absolutely outrageous
      scene. He described Mandarin as something like "that squawking that
      passes for an Oriental language, which sounds like a bad record
      played backwards at high speed." That made me laugh right out loud.
      And I'll never forget the scene where he picked up the wheelchair-
      bound little old lady antagonist and chuck her down an elevator shaft
      to fall 100 stories to her death. Cracked me up!

      I'm about half way through Atlantis Found and it's an absolute blast
      so far.

      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@y..., "ubizmo" <ubizmo@y...> wrote:
      > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@y..., "hukkleberri" <hukkleberri@y...>
      wrote:
      > > At the same time, I believe he's probably the worst writer
      > > of fiction in the history of the universe. He's sort of like the
      Ed
      > > Wood of novelists- so bad that he's good. Its part of the fun for
      me.
      > > Anyway, I'm glad to be here writing and reading more about our
      > > heroes, Dirk and Al.
      >
      > Out of curiosity, what are the things that you think make Cussler
      such
      > a bad writer? I'm one who started with the newer books and recently
      > read an old one, and I have to say that I found parts of the old one
      > appalling in ways that I don't find in the newer ones. Dirk's macho
      > sexism, for example, is not so over-the-top in the more recent
      books.
      > On the other hand, the basic formula hasn't changed much.
    • Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
        Hi all,
        I used to belong to this group some time back, but fell by the
        wayside after my pc crashed.
        I have on my bookshelf all of the Clive Cussler books. It all
        started at a car boot sale when I bought half a dozen of his books and
        got thoroughly hooked. Now I have to find Polar Shift to read, all his
        books tend to circulate through my family before returning to my shelf.
        My domicil is in the South West of England.
        Gordon
      • Jeff Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
          Welcome Gordon, I guess in a way we can not call you a new member, but a lost memeber of the family who has found his way home.
          So I will say Welcome Home!!

          Jeff Phillips

          Gordon <gh018a8213@...> wrote:
          Hi all,
          I used to belong to this group some time back, but fell by the
          wayside after my pc crashed.
          I have on my bookshelf all of the Clive Cussler books. It all
          started at a car boot sale when I bought half a dozen of his books and
          got thoroughly hooked. Now I have to find Polar Shift to read, all his
          books tend to circulate through my family before returning to my shelf.
          My domicil is in the South West of England.
          Gordon

          Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

        • jenkinsmichael1
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7 1:23 AM
            Hi all,
            Thank you for allowing me to join your group.
          • Zuze Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7 10:01 AM
              IT's nice to meet you, My name is Zuze Smith.

              jenkinsmichael1 <jenkinsmichael1@...> wrote: Hi all,
              Thank you for allowing me to join your group.