New member

  • hukkleberri
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2002
      I love Clive Cussler and I faithfully read every new book. The
      history, the archealogy, the underwater stuff- I can never get
      enough. I get a kick out of the comic book style characters and
      dialogue. At the same time, I believe he's probably the worst writer
      of fiction in the history of the universe. He's sort of like the Ed
      Wood of novelists- so bad that he's good. Its part of the fun for me.
      Anyway, I'm glad to be here writing and reading more about our
      heroes, Dirk and Al.
    • ubizmo
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19, 2002
        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@y..., "hukkleberri" <hukkleberri@y...> wrote:
        > At the same time, I believe he's probably the worst writer
        > of fiction in the history of the universe. He's sort of like the Ed
        > Wood of novelists- so bad that he's good. Its part of the fun for me.
        > Anyway, I'm glad to be here writing and reading more about our
        > heroes, Dirk and Al.

        Out of curiosity, what are the things that you think make Cussler such
        a bad writer? I'm one who started with the newer books and recently
        read an old one, and I have to say that I found parts of the old one
        appalling in ways that I don't find in the newer ones. Dirk's macho
        sexism, for example, is not so over-the-top in the more recent books.
        On the other hand, the basic formula hasn't changed much.
      • danharrity
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2002
          I can agree that his style is certainly schlocky—actually, pretty
          cheesey sometimes—but comparing him to Ed Wood is a bit too strong!

          I view Cussler's style as a more grown-up version of the Hardy Boys:
          main characters moving all over the globe with zero consideration of
          logistics or expense, governmental bureaucracies portrayed as glowing
          models of super-efficiency, paternalistic authority figures depicted
          as above reproach, and a main character who's almost melodramatically
          perfect: handsome, knowledgeable, strong, ethical, and ludicrously,
          inexplicably rich. You can imagine a little star of light glinting
          from Dirk's teeth whenever he smiles.

          What captivates me is the exuberant, lusty tone of the books.

          Of course, there is always the occasional hilarious description,
          which can be either a turn of phrase or an absolutely outrageous
          scene. He described Mandarin as something like "that squawking that
          passes for an Oriental language, which sounds like a bad record
          played backwards at high speed." That made me laugh right out loud.
          And I'll never forget the scene where he picked up the wheelchair-
          bound little old lady antagonist and chuck her down an elevator shaft
          to fall 100 stories to her death. Cracked me up!

          I'm about half way through Atlantis Found and it's an absolute blast
          so far.

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@y..., "ubizmo" <ubizmo@y...> wrote:
          > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@y..., "hukkleberri" <hukkleberri@y...>
          wrote:
          > > At the same time, I believe he's probably the worst writer
          > > of fiction in the history of the universe. He's sort of like the
          Ed
          > > Wood of novelists- so bad that he's good. Its part of the fun for
          me.
          > > Anyway, I'm glad to be here writing and reading more about our
          > > heroes, Dirk and Al.
          >
          > Out of curiosity, what are the things that you think make Cussler
          such
          > a bad writer? I'm one who started with the newer books and recently
          > read an old one, and I have to say that I found parts of the old one
          > appalling in ways that I don't find in the newer ones. Dirk's macho
          > sexism, for example, is not so over-the-top in the more recent
          books.
          > On the other hand, the basic formula hasn't changed much.
        • Gordon
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
            Hi all,
            I used to belong to this group some time back, but fell by the
            wayside after my pc crashed.
            I have on my bookshelf all of the Clive Cussler books. It all
            started at a car boot sale when I bought half a dozen of his books and
            got thoroughly hooked. Now I have to find Polar Shift to read, all his
            books tend to circulate through my family before returning to my shelf.
            My domicil is in the South West of England.
            Gordon
          • Jeff Phillips
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2005
              Welcome Gordon, I guess in a way we can not call you a new member, but a lost memeber of the family who has found his way home.
              So I will say Welcome Home!!

              Jeff Phillips

              Gordon <gh018a8213@...> wrote:
              Hi all,
              I used to belong to this group some time back, but fell by the
              wayside after my pc crashed.
              I have on my bookshelf all of the Clive Cussler books. It all
              started at a car boot sale when I bought half a dozen of his books and
              got thoroughly hooked. Now I have to find Polar Shift to read, all his
              books tend to circulate through my family before returning to my shelf.
              My domicil is in the South West of England.
              Gordon

              Literary agent fiction Book author Clive cussler

            • jenkinsmichael1
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2006
                Hi all,
                Thank you for allowing me to join your group.
              • Zuze Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2006
                  IT's nice to meet you, My name is Zuze Smith.

                  jenkinsmichael1 <jenkinsmichael1@...> wrote: Hi all,
                  Thank you for allowing me to join your group.