Dirk Pitt series

  • Ron Criss
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26 1:21 PM
      I've decided to read the Dirk Pitt books through in order. I'm nearly finished with Pacific Vortex! and plan on picking up The Mediterranean Caper tomorrow. I am amazed at how unlike the characters depicted in the film "Sahara" Pitt and Giordino are. Apparently no intention of keeping with the books. Has anyone ever seen an artists rendering of Pitt that matched the description in the books?

      Ron
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27 6:47 AM
        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Criss" <roncriss@...> wrote:

        > I've decided to read the Dirk Pitt books through in order. I'm nearly finished with Pacific Vortex! and plan on picking up The Mediterranean Caper tomorrow. I am amazed at how unlike the characters depicted in the film "Sahara" Pitt and Giordino are. Apparently no intention of keeping with the books. Has anyone ever seen an artists rendering of Pitt that matched the description in the books?
        >
        > Ron

        Check out this site for a ton of stuff.

        http://z4.invisionfree.com/CLIVE_CUSSLER/index.php?s=cad37ad53be93ff8067a1f654ae7d127&act=site

        Cheers,
        Tom
      • jaybjerke
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 27 8:15 AM
          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <tomtoes2004@...> wrote:

          > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Criss" <roncriss@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've decided to read the Dirk Pitt books through in order. I'm nearly finished with Pacific Vortex! and plan on picking up The Mediterranean Caper tomorrow. I am amazed at how unlike the characters depicted in the film "Sahara" Pitt and Giordino are. Apparently no intention of keeping with the books. Has anyone ever seen an artists rendering of Pitt that matched the description in the books?
          > >
          > > Ron
          >
          > Check out this site for a ton of stuff.
          >
          > http://z4.invisionfree.com/CLIVE_CUSSLER/index.php?s=cad37ad53be93ff8067a1f654ae7d127&act=site
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Tom

          I was really unimpressed with the characters in Sahara also. My family didn't understand why at first until I read to them out of the books how Pitt and his buddy looked. Now they are not so impressed with the movie either.
          Have you read the Oregon Files series yet? I thought about reading them but I'm so stuck on the Pitt series I don't know If I can switch for more characters.
        • BNMJEFF@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28 6:44 AM
            So, your family thought the movie was good until you read them a description
            of what the main characters look like in the mind of the author, and now
            they are unhappy with their movie going experience....how nice for you

            In a message dated 3/27/2009 11:16:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

            I was really unimpressed with the characters in Sahara also. My family
            didn't understand why at first until I read to them out of the books how Pitt and
            his buddy looked. Now they are not so impressed with the movie either.

            **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

          • cantflame_2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 28 5:40 PM
              --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Criss" <roncriss@...> wrote:

              > I've decided to read the Dirk Pitt books through in order. I'm nearly finished with Pacific Vortex! and plan on picking up The Mediterranean Caper tomorrow. I am amazed at how unlike the characters depicted in the film "Sahara" Pitt and Giordino are. Apparently no intention of keeping with the books. Has anyone ever seen an artists rendering of Pitt that matched the description in the books?
              >
              > Ron

              why is everyone cutting down the sahara movie? hear is my opinion.
              #1 me.c had to work with live people from hollywood,witch were not to many to pick from that would fit the part.he got as close as he could.
              #2 it would have ben nice if he could have started from the begining of the book.but who would sit through a 6 hour movie or longer, i could not, can any one else ?so he started at the best spot in the book to keep the story line active and interesting.plus he was not alowed to do some of the seans in his book, to costly.
              #3 all in all i feal me. c did a fantastic job of producing the movie for his first hopefuly not his last. so mr c hang in there keep up the good work. because i have an idea that could work to your liking . hear is my idea go to pizal movies the quality of movie is hard to tell the real from animated people. that way they cam mold your carectures into real live looking people. so what do ya-ll think about that?
            • Ron Criss
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 29 8:24 AM
                This was just a case of a director not wanting to conform to the limitations of the book. The descriptions of Pitt are pretty simply, dark tan, thick black hair, muscular. There are plenty of Hollywood actors who could have fit the part. The director simply didn't care to stick to the original vision. Zak Snyder could have done an excellent job and stayed true to the book. Just look at his work on 300 and Watchmen. He sticks to the creators vision and the fans are happy. Why do these directors think they know more than all the fans who have made a particular series popular? There is a reason a series is popular. Sahara wasn't a bad movie, but the characters were not Pitt and Giordino. If someone actually followed the novels they would have blockbusters on their hands. That's why Snyder's movies are always big.

                Ron