Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: summer reading

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
      Jeff,
      Thanks for that information. I have "Night Fall" on my shelf to be read,
      but I
      don't have "Plum Island." I ordered it on half.com I can get really good
      buys on hardcover books there.
      (note to myself: Stop building up such a inventory of books to be read!
      Haa, Haa!
      I feel rich having books around....)

      Nancy/Dachsies for Life
      Motto: Live, Love and Laugh
      _

    • Ed Homa
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
        James Rollins is my favorite writer - he took over from CC a few years ago! and Jim is a heck of a nice guy to boot!

        Ed in Wilmington, DE

        From: BNMJEFF@AOL. COM
        Date: 08/11/07 12:54:31
        To: clivecusslerfanclub @yahoogroups. com

        Nancy...

        if you are looking for good authors, I have recently started reading James
        Rollins and Nelson DeMille..... both very good...

        Jeff

        ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL
        at
        http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
          Ed,

          What do you mean he took over from CC???? Are you saying
          that Clive Cussler is done writing original manuscripts?
          I have to say that since he has been a co-author of many books
          the last 2-3 years, I don't find them as exciting as his other books.
          The lack the fine little details that are so often in his books....

          Nancy/Dachsies for Life
          Motto: Live, Love and Laugh

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
            Rollins has taken over as my favorite writer - a postion that CC used to hold.

            Ed

            James Rollins is my favorite writer - he took over from CC a few years ago!
            and Jim is a heck of a nice guy to boot!

            Ed in Wilmington, DE

            if you are looking for good authors, I have recently started reading James
            Rollins and Nelson DeMille..... both very good...

            Jeff

            ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-new
            AOL
            at
            http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated
            for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
            http://get.games. yahoo.com/ proddesc? gamekey=monopoly herenow

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 12, 2007
              Ed,

              Well, I think I may like reading Rollins' work, also. I did a little
              research
              and he's a doctor of veterinary medicine in Sacramento. He also has a
              dachshund.
              VBG One thing I liked about Clive Cussler is that he would often write
              himself
              into his novels. He also often had a dachshund featured in some of his
              books.
              He grew up with dachshunds, and I was fortunate to get some original
              manuscript
              pages featuring the dachshund in one of his stories. He also gave consent
              to me
              to name puppies in one of my litters from his characters. One such pup
              nicknamed
              Mr. Clive became an AKC champion.

              I also like the idea that Rollins in the end of his books does cite the true
              aspects
              of his stories via the research he has done.
              I think I will like his works. I've ordered two paperbacks.....

              Nancy/Dachsies for Life
              Motto: Live, Love and Laugh

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                I agree with you Jeff you have to read "Plum Island"
                first John Corey is a great character but the best way
                is to read them in order "Plum Island", "Lion's Game",
                "Night Fall" then "Wild Fire" and your right the end
                of "Night Fall" caught me totally off guard too. I
                have read all of DeMille"s books and he is right
                behind CC as my favorite. Jeff you should try "The
                Charm School" that was a good read. Some of his books
                like "By the Rivers of Babylon" were writen a log time
                ago and that was his first book so you have to try
                more.
                Enjoy the read
                Babaoriely

                --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, BNMJEFF@... wrote:

                > let's see....I have read "Night Fall", "Lion's
                Game", "Spencerville" (Not
                > great), "Cathedral", and am reading "Plum Island"..
                >
                > "Night Fall" had an amazing ending that took me completely by
                surprise, but
                > if yo read it read "Plum Island" first .."Night Fall" has
                recurring characters
                > from "Plum Island." While the story stands on it's own. I would
                have liked
                > to have read "plum Island" first.
                >
                > Jeff

              • Ed Homa
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                  Nancy,

                  What Rollins books did you order?

                  here is some Rollins info.

                  Ed

                  James Rollins... how it all began
                  Written by James Rollins
                  Is James Rollins the only world bestseller who's also a veterinary surgeon? Where does an alligator figure in his career? And what do you need to know about his latest book The Judas Strain? Here, in his own words, are the answers...

                  It all started when my sister received an alligator for a birthday present�a gift from her boyfriend at the time. Subsequently and not surprisingly, they broke up shortly thereafter. She got sole custody of the alligator, which ended up in a fish tank on my dresser. Her only instruction: �It eats live goldfish.� Such music to a young boy�s ears! In fact, it was my ticket to elementary school stardom. I became a third-grade P.T. Barnum. It also heralded my future career as both a biologist and a veterinarian.

                  But that�s getting ahead of the story. I was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1961. My father was a foreman at a Libby�s canning plant. My mother stayed home and had children�many, many children. Being Polish and Roman Catholic, I believe there was some requirement: less than five children, and the secret of Kielbasa would be taken from you. So I was born the third of seven children, and of that litter, I was the only true storyteller of the family (what my mother called �The Liar�). My early work consisted of convincing my younger brothers that the new ventriloquist doll I got for Christmas would come alive at midnight and hunt for fresh blood�which led to many sleepless night and wet beds. Or revealing to my baby sister that our family were really Martians�except for her, of course, as she was our adopted human pet.

                  I still pay their therapy bills, but it was worth it.

                  And I did eventually survive childhood. I even got accepted to veterinary school at the University of Missouri and settled out in Sacramento, California. I started my own practice and ran it for two decades. I even have the scars to prove it. But I also could not ignore that twisted little corner of my mind, that demented little storyteller who terrorized young children. I needed a new audience. So I began to write. I wrote much short fiction�truly bad short fiction, stories which are buried in my backyard and will never see the light of day (unless some future archaeologist discovers them and declares them to be verifiable proof that this century was devoid of literary merit).

                  But I persevered (i.e., I wouldn�t take no for an answer). I eventually wrote my first book, found an agent, and to my personal case of �shock and awe,� Avon Books bought it. Thus began my dual career�as both veterinarian and author. I often get asked, �As an author, why don�t you write about a veterinarian, like James Herriot, or about animals, like Marley and Me?� My answer was simple. �Not enough people die in those books.�
                  Presently I do write full time, having weaned myself off my veterinary career. Though one Sunday a month, I do volunteer my time and surgical skills to spaying and neutering animals for the local shelter�basically it�s eight hours of removing genitalia. Otherwise, I continue to write novels that are equal parts historical mysteries, scientific thrillers, and action adventures. And yes, many people do die.

                  And yes, I have dogs�way too many dogs. I blame my mother. For more dirt, please check out my website: www.jamesrollins. com

                  The Judas Strain

                  Deep in the Indian Ocean, a terrifying plague washes to shore--but this is only a harbinger of the true doom to follow. In its deadly wake, all life on the planet is threatened.

                  Aboard a cruise liner turned into a makeshift hospital, Dr. Lisa Cummings and Monk Kokkalis, operatives for SIGMA Force, seek some answer to the strange disease. But others see only profit amid the madness. In a savage coup, a shadowy terrorist organization hijacks the vessel, turning the ship into a floating bio-weapons lab.

                  A world away, Commander Gray Pierce finds his Fourth of July celebration interrupted as a beautiful assassin crashes his party. Wounded, hunted, she carries the first clue to a possible cure, one tied to a mystery involving the medieval explorer, Marco Polo.

                  Pursued by a relentless madman, the pair race to follow the explorer�s centuries-old trail through Venetian tombs, Byzantine cathedrals, and jungle-encrusted ruins. Gray finds the path leads to a most unexpected answer: to a mystery buried in our genetic code, one with possible links to a cryptic thirteenth-century language known as angelic script.

                  Yet, as the worldwide pandemic grows, Gray Pierce begins to fear he is being led astray by those closest to him. Can he trust his newest ally? Or will she prove to be another Judas?
                  The Story behind the Story. Where did the story come from?
                  It all started from a seed of an historical mystery, one concerning Marco Polo, the famous Venetian explorer. Marco Polo, along with his father and uncle, spent almost two decades in China. Upon the trio�s return voyage, Kublai Khan granted the Polos fourteen ships and six hundred men to escort them home. But when they arrived in Italy, the returning Polos were down to two ships and eighteen men. What happened to the rest of the escort? Marco hinted at some mysterious tragedy, but he refused to ever say exactly what transpired�even on his deathbed. Such a mystery I thought would make great fodder for a thriller. What if what destroyed Marco�s fleet were to arise again today?

                  Dire Secrets Lurk in the Language of Angels

                  Ancient Ruins Guard a Wellspring of Horror

                  Legendary Explorer�s Journal Hides a Shattering Truth

                  TWISTED GENETIC CODES PROTECT
                  A MYSTERY LIKE NO OTHER

                  THE JUDAS STRAIN....in stores JULY 2nd

                  What the critics are saying:
                  �Rollins has fine-tuned the formula to precision: characters rendered in broad strokes, punchy dialogue, short paragraphs that propel us headlong through the story...it's impossible not to be swept up by their energy and excitement�
                  Booklist on The Judas Strain

                  �There�s no time to catch your breath...Relentless action in spectacular places�
                  Kirkus Reviews on The Judas Strain

                  What the author is saying:
                  "I agree."

                  Rollins has taken over as my favorite writer - a postion that CC used to
                  hold.

                  Ed

                  James Rollins is my favorite writer - he took over from CC a few years ago!
                  and Jim is a heck of a nice guy to boot!

                  Ed in Wilmington, DE

                  if you are looking for good authors, I have recently started reading James
                  Rollins and Nelson DeMille..... both very good...

                  Jeff

                  ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-new
                  AOL
                  at
                  http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

                  Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated
                  for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.
                  http://get.games. yahoo.com/ proddesc? gamekey=monopoly herenow

                  Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who
                  knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                  ----------

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                    Ed,

                    I ordered "Subterranean" and "Ice Hunt." He certainly sounds like his
                    novels fulfill a slightly devious, demented mind of the child
                    he once was!! LOL

                    Nancy/Dachsies for Life
                    Motto: Live, Love and Laugh
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 14, 2007
                      Thanks for the advice on the reading order, Babaoriely..I sort of read them
                      all out of order..I read Lion's Game then nightfall and am half way through
                      Plum Island....I actually listened to Nightfall as a "Book on Tape"...Corey
                      really came to life that way...quite the character....

                      I will look for Charm School...

                      Thanks again

                      Jeff

                    • Ed Homa
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 16, 2007
                        you don't have to read Rollins in order -but if you do you can see him develop as a writer. he starts off being very much like ERB - but he develops into a writer all his own.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 16, 2007
                          Ed,

                          Who is ERB????

                          Nancy/Dachsies for Life
                          Motto: Live, Love and Laugh

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 17, 2007
                            Edgar Rice Burroughs, the man who created Tarzan.

                            Mark

                            Nancy Silk <silkwinddachs@...> wrote: Ed,

                            Who is ERB????

                            Nancy/Dachsies for Life
                            Motto: Live, Love and Laugh

                          • Ed Homa
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 18, 2007
                              Edgar Rice Burroughs!

                              Ed

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 18, 2007
                                a very under rated writer.

                                Ed

                                Edgar Rice Burroughs, the man who created Tarzan.

                                Mark

                                Nancy Silk <silkwinddachs@ comcast.net> wrote: Ed,

                                Who is ERB????

                                Nancy/Dachsies for Life
                                Motto: Live, Love and Laugh

                              • Vash
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 18, 2007
                                  I've recently been reading Wilbur Smith's Egyptian trilogy (River God,
                                  The Seventh Scroll and Warlock). I'm on the last book now and I've
                                  enjoyed reading them so much I've not even read the new Harry Potter
                                  yet!

                                  Vash
                                  http://vashs-sf-reviews.blogspot.com/