Re: SPAM

  • natalie_carlson92
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2 5:19 PM
      Yeah. Me too. I hate it when people post stupid things like hey check
      this website out... It just makes me not want to be in this group anymore.
      Natalie

      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "George Shaw"
      <gshawjr@...> wrote:

      > I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
      > people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites
      >

      > George
      >

      > _____

      <mailto:clivecusslerfanclub%40yahoogroups.com>
      > @yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
      > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
      > >

      > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
      > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
      > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
      > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
      > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
      > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
      > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
      > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
      > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
      > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
      >
      > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
      > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
      > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
      > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
      > can add you if we have a new group.
      >
      > Terri

    • flutefacekk
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3 7:38 AM
        I think Larry has a point. Perhaps speaking to the list owner would
        be beneficial to all. I, too, hate the thought of losing all of the
        posts in the archives, and I would like to keep this group going.

        I'm basically a lurker here, though I do post every once in a great
        while. I enjoy reading everyone's comments, and I like that this is
        basically a positive group who all reinforce everyone's love for the
        stories of Clive Cussler. Like everyone else, I hate spam, but
        since I'm on digest, I just ignore it, and only look for new posts
        from real members.

        However, should we choose to abandon this group and start a new one,
        I'll follow you over there. This is the first discussion group for
        an author that I've joined, and I really don't want to lose it.

        .

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@...>
        wrote:

        > I don't think starting a new group would be worth the effort. But
        can
        > go either way on this. Anyone joining a new group could post spam
        > there also.
        >
        > It just takes a team effort sometimes to be able to keep it
        cleaned up.

        > It is a shame the "owner" of this group won't pass ownership along
        > someone that would be dilligent about maintenance of the group.
        >
        > So from that aspect maybe a new group is indeed justified. I would
        > just hate to loose the archive of information that is already in
        this
        > group, and the group name "fits".
        >
        > So, I guess my bottom line is to keep this group and say "Thank
        You"
        > to Terry who solely gets the burden of cleaning up the garbage.
        And
        > maybe an email campaign to the owner to give up ownership if he is
        no
        > longer going to be involved.
        >
        > Thanks Terri!!
        >
        > Larry
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >

        > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep
        the SPAM
        > > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
        > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
        > >
        > > Terri Wrote:
        >
        > > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
        > > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change
        group
        > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
        > > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because
        of
        > > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and
        over
        > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three
        or
        > > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they
        will
        > > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
        > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is
        a new
        > > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
        > >
        > > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that
        is
        > > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
        > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point.
        If
        > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry
        and
        > > can add you if we have a new group.
        > >
        > > Terri

      • H Tex
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3 7:49 AM
          I have in fact emailed the owner using the link
          provided. With no response. Maybe they just don't
          have the time right now.

          Larry

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

          > > > Terri Wrote:
          > >
          > > > The owner of this group is not active any longer
          > due to personal
          > > > obligations. He did not want to give me the
          > ability to change
          > group
          > > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He
          > felt the group
          > > > should be an open to the public with requiring
          > approval. Because
          > of
          > > > this anyone can join and often when they do they
          > post spam and
          > over
          > > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they
          > join with three
          > or
          > > > four addresses and I then must ban each one.
          > This means they
          > will
          > > > have to use another address to join. With
          > hundreds of free email
          > > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I
          > don't know there is
          > a new
          > > > member until they post e which is too late to
          > stop spammers
          > > >
          > > > What do list members want to do? We can form
          > another group that
          > is
          > > > moderated on membership and content for new
          > members This would
          > > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do
          > at this point.
          > If
          > > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate
          > your offer Larry
          > and
          > > > can add you if we have a new group.
          > > >
          > > > Terri