RE: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: SPAM

  • George Shaw
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
      people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites

      George

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
        Yeah. Me too. I hate it when people post stupid things like hey check
        this website out... It just makes me not want to be in this group anymore.
        Natalie

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "George Shaw"
        <gshawjr@...> wrote:

        > I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
        > people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites
        >

        > George
        >

        > _____

      • flutefacekk
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
          I think Larry has a point. Perhaps speaking to the list owner would
          be beneficial to all. I, too, hate the thought of losing all of the
          posts in the archives, and I would like to keep this group going.

          I'm basically a lurker here, though I do post every once in a great
          while. I enjoy reading everyone's comments, and I like that this is
          basically a positive group who all reinforce everyone's love for the
          stories of Clive Cussler. Like everyone else, I hate spam, but
          since I'm on digest, I just ignore it, and only look for new posts
          from real members.

          However, should we choose to abandon this group and start a new one,
          I'll follow you over there. This is the first discussion group for
          an author that I've joined, and I really don't want to lose it.

          .

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@...>
          wrote:

          > I don't think starting a new group would be worth the effort. But
          can
          > go either way on this. Anyone joining a new group could post spam
          > there also.
          >
          > It just takes a team effort sometimes to be able to keep it
          cleaned up.

          > It is a shame the "owner" of this group won't pass ownership along
          > someone that would be dilligent about maintenance of the group.
          >
          > So from that aspect maybe a new group is indeed justified. I would
          > just hate to loose the archive of information that is already in
          this
          > group, and the group name "fits".
          >
          > So, I guess my bottom line is to keep this group and say "Thank
          You"
          > to Terry who solely gets the burden of cleaning up the garbage.
          And
          > maybe an email campaign to the owner to give up ownership if he is
          no
          > longer going to be involved.
          >
          > Thanks Terri!!
          >
          > Larry
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          >

          > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep
          the SPAM
          > > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
          > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
          > >
          > > Terri Wrote:
          >
          > > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
          > > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change
          group
          > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
          > > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because
          of
          > > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and
          over
          > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three
          or
          > > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they
          will
          > > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
          > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is
          a new
          > > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
          > >
          > > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that
          is
          > > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
          > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point.
          If
          > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry
          and
          > > can add you if we have a new group.
          > >
          > > Terri

        • H Tex
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
            I have in fact emailed the owner using the link
            provided. With no response. Maybe they just don't
            have the time right now.

            Larry

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

            > > > Terri Wrote:
            > >
            > > > The owner of this group is not active any longer
            > due to personal
            > > > obligations. He did not want to give me the
            > ability to change
            > group
            > > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He
            > felt the group
            > > > should be an open to the public with requiring
            > approval. Because
            > of
            > > > this anyone can join and often when they do they
            > post spam and
            > over
            > > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they
            > join with three
            > or
            > > > four addresses and I then must ban each one.
            > This means they
            > will
            > > > have to use another address to join. With
            > hundreds of free email
            > > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I
            > don't know there is
            > a new
            > > > member until they post e which is too late to
            > stop spammers
            > > >
            > > > What do list members want to do? We can form
            > another group that
            > is
            > > > moderated on membership and content for new
            > members This would
            > > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do
            > at this point.
            > If
            > > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate
            > your offer Larry
            > and
            > > > can add you if we have a new group.
            > > >
            > > > Terri