SPAM and Group Ownership

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      I don't think starting a new group would be worth the effort. But can
      go either way on this. Anyone joining a new group could post spam
      there also.

      It just takes a team effort sometimes to be able to keep it cleaned up.

      It is a shame the "owner" of this group won't pass ownership along to
      someone that would be dilligent about maintenance of the group.

      So from that aspect maybe a new group is indeed justified. I would
      just hate to loose the archive of information that is already in this
      group, and the group name "fits".

      So, I guess my bottom line is to keep this group and say "Thank You"
      to Terry who solely gets the burden of cleaning up the garbage. And
      maybe an email campaign to the owner to give up ownership if he is no
      longer going to be involved.

      Thanks Terri!!

      Larry

      > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
      > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
      >
      > Terri Wrote:

      > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
      > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
      > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
      > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
      > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
      > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
      > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
      > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
      > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
      > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
      >
      > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
      > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
      > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
      > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
      > can add you if we have a new group.
      >
      > Terri

    • George Shaw
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
        people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites

        George

        _____

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub <mailto:clivecusslerfanclub%40yahoogroups.com>
        wrote:

        > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
        > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.

        The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
        obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
        settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
        should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
        this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
        half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
        four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
        have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
        accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
        member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers

        What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
        moderated on membership and content for new members This would
        drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
        you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
        can add you if we have a new group.

        Terri

      • natalie_carlson92
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
          Yeah. Me too. I hate it when people post stupid things like hey check
          this website out... It just makes me not want to be in this group anymore.
          Natalie

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "George Shaw"
          <gshawjr@...> wrote:

          > I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
          > people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites
          >

          > George
          >

          > _____

        • flutefacekk
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
            I think Larry has a point. Perhaps speaking to the list owner would
            be beneficial to all. I, too, hate the thought of losing all of the
            posts in the archives, and I would like to keep this group going.

            I'm basically a lurker here, though I do post every once in a great
            while. I enjoy reading everyone's comments, and I like that this is
            basically a positive group who all reinforce everyone's love for the
            stories of Clive Cussler. Like everyone else, I hate spam, but
            since I'm on digest, I just ignore it, and only look for new posts
            from real members.

            However, should we choose to abandon this group and start a new one,
            I'll follow you over there. This is the first discussion group for
            an author that I've joined, and I really don't want to lose it.

            .

            wrote:

            > I don't think starting a new group would be worth the effort. But
            can
            > go either way on this. Anyone joining a new group could post spam
            > there also.
            >
            > It just takes a team effort sometimes to be able to keep it
            cleaned up.

            > It is a shame the "owner" of this group won't pass ownership along
            > someone that would be dilligent about maintenance of the group.
            >
            > So from that aspect maybe a new group is indeed justified. I would
            > just hate to loose the archive of information that is already in
            this
            > group, and the group name "fits".
            >
            > So, I guess my bottom line is to keep this group and say "Thank
            You"
            > to Terry who solely gets the burden of cleaning up the garbage.
            And
            > maybe an email campaign to the owner to give up ownership if he is
            no
            > longer going to be involved.
            >
            > Thanks Terri!!
            >
            > Larry
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            >

            > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep
            the SPAM
            > > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
            > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
            > >
            > > Terri Wrote:
            >
            > > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
            > > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change
            group
            > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
            > > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because
            of
            > > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and
            over
            > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three
            or
            > > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they
            will
            > > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
            > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is
            a new
            > > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
            > >
            > > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that
            is
            > > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
            > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point.
            If
            > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry
            and
            > > can add you if we have a new group.
            > >
            > > Terri

          • H Tex
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
              I have in fact emailed the owner using the link
              provided. With no response. Maybe they just don't
              have the time right now.

              Larry

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

              > > > Terri Wrote:
              > >
              > > > The owner of this group is not active any longer
              > due to personal
              > > > obligations. He did not want to give me the
              > ability to change
              > group
              > > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He
              > felt the group
              > > > should be an open to the public with requiring
              > approval. Because
              > of
              > > > this anyone can join and often when they do they
              > post spam and
              > over
              > > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they
              > join with three
              > or
              > > > four addresses and I then must ban each one.
              > This means they
              > will
              > > > have to use another address to join. With
              > hundreds of free email
              > > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I
              > don't know there is
              > a new
              > > > member until they post e which is too late to
              > stop spammers
              > > >
              > > > What do list members want to do? We can form
              > another group that
              > is
              > > > moderated on membership and content for new
              > members This would
              > > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do
              > at this point.
              > If
              > > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate
              > your offer Larry
              > and
              > > > can add you if we have a new group.
              > > >
              > > > Terri