Re: SPAM

  • Teresa Pascal
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@...>
      wrote:

      > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
      > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.

      The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
      obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
      settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
      should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
      this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
      half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
      four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
      have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
      accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
      member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers

      What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
      moderated on membership and content for new members This would
      drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
      you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
      can add you if we have a new group.

      Terri
    • Larry
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        I don't think starting a new group would be worth the effort. But can
        go either way on this. Anyone joining a new group could post spam
        there also.

        It just takes a team effort sometimes to be able to keep it cleaned up.

        It is a shame the "owner" of this group won't pass ownership along to
        someone that would be dilligent about maintenance of the group.

        So from that aspect maybe a new group is indeed justified. I would
        just hate to loose the archive of information that is already in this
        group, and the group name "fits".

        So, I guess my bottom line is to keep this group and say "Thank You"
        to Terry who solely gets the burden of cleaning up the garbage. And
        maybe an email campaign to the owner to give up ownership if he is no
        longer going to be involved.

        Thanks Terri!!

        Larry

        > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
        > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
        >
        > Terri Wrote:

        > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
        > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
        > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
        > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
        > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
        > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
        > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
        > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
        > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
        > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
        >
        > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
        > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
        > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
        > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
        > can add you if we have a new group.
        >
        > Terri

      • George Shaw
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
          I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
          people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites

          George

          _____

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub <mailto:clivecusslerfanclub%40yahoogroups.com>
          wrote:

          > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
          > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.

          The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
          obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
          settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
          should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
          this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
          half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
          four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
          have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
          accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
          member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers

          What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
          moderated on membership and content for new members This would
          drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
          you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
          can add you if we have a new group.

          Terri

        • natalie_carlson92
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
            Yeah. Me too. I hate it when people post stupid things like hey check
            this website out... It just makes me not want to be in this group anymore.
            Natalie

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "George Shaw"
            <gshawjr@...> wrote:

            > I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
            > people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites
            >

            > George
            >

            > _____

          • flutefacekk
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
              I think Larry has a point. Perhaps speaking to the list owner would
              be beneficial to all. I, too, hate the thought of losing all of the
              posts in the archives, and I would like to keep this group going.

              I'm basically a lurker here, though I do post every once in a great
              while. I enjoy reading everyone's comments, and I like that this is
              basically a positive group who all reinforce everyone's love for the
              stories of Clive Cussler. Like everyone else, I hate spam, but
              since I'm on digest, I just ignore it, and only look for new posts
              from real members.

              However, should we choose to abandon this group and start a new one,
              I'll follow you over there. This is the first discussion group for
              an author that I've joined, and I really don't want to lose it.

              .

              wrote:

              > I don't think starting a new group would be worth the effort. But
              can
              > go either way on this. Anyone joining a new group could post spam
              > there also.
              >
              > It just takes a team effort sometimes to be able to keep it
              cleaned up.

              > It is a shame the "owner" of this group won't pass ownership along
              > someone that would be dilligent about maintenance of the group.
              >
              > So from that aspect maybe a new group is indeed justified. I would
              > just hate to loose the archive of information that is already in
              this
              > group, and the group name "fits".
              >
              > So, I guess my bottom line is to keep this group and say "Thank
              You"
              > to Terry who solely gets the burden of cleaning up the garbage.
              And
              > maybe an email campaign to the owner to give up ownership if he is
              no
              > longer going to be involved.
              >
              > Thanks Terri!!
              >
              > Larry
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              >

              > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep
              the SPAM
              > > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
              > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
              > >
              > > Terri Wrote:
              >
              > > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
              > > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change
              group
              > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
              > > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because
              of
              > > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and
              over
              > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three
              or
              > > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they
              will
              > > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
              > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is
              a new
              > > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
              > >
              > > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that
              is
              > > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
              > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point.
              If
              > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry
              and
              > > can add you if we have a new group.
              > >
              > > Terri

            • H Tex
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
                I have in fact emailed the owner using the link
                provided. With no response. Maybe they just don't
                have the time right now.

                Larry

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

                > > > Terri Wrote:
                > >
                > > > The owner of this group is not active any longer
                > due to personal
                > > > obligations. He did not want to give me the
                > ability to change
                > group
                > > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He
                > felt the group
                > > > should be an open to the public with requiring
                > approval. Because
                > of
                > > > this anyone can join and often when they do they
                > post spam and
                > over
                > > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they
                > join with three
                > or
                > > > four addresses and I then must ban each one.
                > This means they
                > will
                > > > have to use another address to join. With
                > hundreds of free email
                > > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I
                > don't know there is
                > a new
                > > > member until they post e which is too late to
                > stop spammers
                > > >
                > > > What do list members want to do? We can form
                > another group that
                > is
                > > > moderated on membership and content for new
                > members This would
                > > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do
                > at this point.
                > If
                > > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate
                > your offer Larry
                > and
                > > > can add you if we have a new group.
                > > >
                > > > Terri