SPAM

  • Larry
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
      I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
      cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
    • Teresa Pascal
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@...>
        wrote:

        > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
        > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.

        The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
        obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
        settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
        should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
        this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
        half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
        four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
        have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
        accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
        member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers

        What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
        moderated on membership and content for new members This would
        drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
        you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
        can add you if we have a new group.

        Terri
      • Larry
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
          I don't think starting a new group would be worth the effort. But can
          go either way on this. Anyone joining a new group could post spam
          there also.

          It just takes a team effort sometimes to be able to keep it cleaned up.

          It is a shame the "owner" of this group won't pass ownership along to
          someone that would be dilligent about maintenance of the group.

          So from that aspect maybe a new group is indeed justified. I would
          just hate to loose the archive of information that is already in this
          group, and the group name "fits".

          So, I guess my bottom line is to keep this group and say "Thank You"
          to Terry who solely gets the burden of cleaning up the garbage. And
          maybe an email campaign to the owner to give up ownership if he is no
          longer going to be involved.

          Thanks Terri!!

          Larry

          > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
          > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
          >
          > Terri Wrote:

          > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
          > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
          > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
          > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
          > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
          > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
          > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
          > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
          > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
          > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
          >
          > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
          > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
          > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
          > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
          > can add you if we have a new group.
          >
          > Terri

        • George Shaw
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2007
            I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
            people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites

            George

            _____

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub <mailto:clivecusslerfanclub%40yahoogroups.com>
            wrote:

            > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep the SPAM
            > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.

            The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
            obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change group
            settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
            should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because of
            this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and over
            half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three or
            four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they will
            have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
            accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is a new
            member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers

            What do list members want to do? We can form another group that is
            moderated on membership and content for new members This would
            drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point. If
            you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry and
            can add you if we have a new group.

            Terri

          • natalie_carlson92
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2007
              Yeah. Me too. I hate it when people post stupid things like hey check
              this website out... It just makes me not want to be in this group anymore.
              Natalie

              --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "George Shaw"
              <gshawjr@...> wrote:

              > I would be for a new group. I really dislike the inappropriate posts by
              > people who are trying to lure you to their porn sites
              >

              > George
              >

              > _____

            • flutefacekk
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
                I think Larry has a point. Perhaps speaking to the list owner would
                be beneficial to all. I, too, hate the thought of losing all of the
                posts in the archives, and I would like to keep this group going.

                I'm basically a lurker here, though I do post every once in a great
                while. I enjoy reading everyone's comments, and I like that this is
                basically a positive group who all reinforce everyone's love for the
                stories of Clive Cussler. Like everyone else, I hate spam, but
                since I'm on digest, I just ignore it, and only look for new posts
                from real members.

                However, should we choose to abandon this group and start a new one,
                I'll follow you over there. This is the first discussion group for
                an author that I've joined, and I really don't want to lose it.

                .

                wrote:

                > I don't think starting a new group would be worth the effort. But
                can
                > go either way on this. Anyone joining a new group could post spam
                > there also.
                >
                > It just takes a team effort sometimes to be able to keep it
                cleaned up.

                > It is a shame the "owner" of this group won't pass ownership along
                > someone that would be dilligent about maintenance of the group.
                >
                > So from that aspect maybe a new group is indeed justified. I would
                > just hate to loose the archive of information that is already in
                this
                > group, and the group name "fits".
                >
                > So, I guess my bottom line is to keep this group and say "Thank
                You"
                > to Terry who solely gets the burden of cleaning up the garbage.
                And
                > maybe an email campaign to the owner to give up ownership if he is
                no
                > longer going to be involved.
                >
                > Thanks Terri!!
                >
                > Larry
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                >

                > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <humtex@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I will gladly volunteer to help moderate this group to keep
                the SPAM
                > > > cleaned off and delete the member that sent it.
                > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
                > >
                > > Terri Wrote:
                >
                > > The owner of this group is not active any longer due to personal
                > > obligations. He did not want to give me the ability to change
                group
                > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He felt the group
                > > should be an open to the public with requiring approval. Because
                of
                > > this anyone can join and often when they do they post spam and
                over
                > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they join with three
                or
                > > four addresses and I then must ban each one. This means they
                will
                > > have to use another address to join. With hundreds of free email
                > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I don't know there is
                a new
                > > member until they post e which is too late to stop spammers
                > >
                > > What do list members want to do? We can form another group that
                is
                > > moderated on membership and content for new members This would
                > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do at this point.
                If
                > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate your offer Larry
                and
                > > can add you if we have a new group.
                > >
                > > Terri

              • H Tex
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
                  I have in fact emailed the owner using the link
                  provided. With no response. Maybe they just don't
                  have the time right now.

                  Larry

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

                  > > > Terri Wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > The owner of this group is not active any longer
                  > due to personal
                  > > > obligations. He did not want to give me the
                  > ability to change
                  > group
                  > > > settings but wanted a moderator just in case. He
                  > felt the group
                  > > > should be an open to the public with requiring
                  > approval. Because
                  > of
                  > > > this anyone can join and often when they do they
                  > post spam and
                  > over
                  > > > half unsubscribe before I can ban them. Or they
                  > join with three
                  > or
                  > > > four addresses and I then must ban each one.
                  > This means they
                  > will
                  > > > have to use another address to join. With
                  > hundreds of free email
                  > > > accounts it is easy to get another addy. I
                  > don't know there is
                  > a new
                  > > > member until they post e which is too late to
                  > stop spammers
                  > > >
                  > > > What do list members want to do? We can form
                  > another group that
                  > is
                  > > > moderated on membership and content for new
                  > members This would
                  > > > drastically reduce spam. I don't know what to do
                  > at this point.
                  > If
                  > > > you have ideas please let me know. I appreciate
                  > your offer Larry
                  > and
                  > > > can add you if we have a new group.
                  > > >
                  > > > Terri