Re: Sahara- the movie

  • chippewop
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 11, 2006
      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, BNMJEFF@... wrote:

      > I feel the big casting mistake was making Rudi an oaf, not the
      intelligent
      > man he was in the books, Matthew as Dirk was a good choice for me,
      as I really
      > can't think of anyone else that could have carried it off,
      espeically nor
      > Richard Jordan....Who thank the stars was too old for this turn at
      Dirk...The
      > casting of Al, is a toss up with me..while I think the character of
      Al in h\the
      > books was a little unbelievable, sort of like the "hero is perfect
      and always
      > right" mentality in Alistair McLean's books...I think Zahn did a
      good job as
      > being Dirk's right hand man and anticipating his moves and
      thoughts....

      > Jeff

      Although I liked "Raise the Titanic", (I wasn't a fan yet).
      Richard Jordan was perfect for the roll. Sadly Richard died, shortly
      after the production of "Gettysburg". Don't fault the first Dirk Pitt.

    • BNMJEFF@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 12, 2006
        Jordan was too monotone for the role, I felt...no passion, no fire...although
        the partw as written almost as an afterthought. I think they played all the
        main characters down to make the ship the prime character...bad mistake..in the
        book the Titanic was a minor issue, the main thrust was all the main plots
        Cussler had going ...

        Jeff

      • laurinda
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 14, 2006
          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, BNMJEFF@... wrote:

          > Jordan was too monotone for the role, I felt...no passion, no fire...although
          > the partw as written almost as an afterthought. I think they played all the
          > main characters down to make the ship the prime character...bad mistake..in the
          > book the Titanic was a minor issue, the main thrust was all the main plots
          > Cussler had going ...
          >
          > Jeff

          I personally was not fond of this movie. I found the book had alot more character
          development. I did not like what they did with Als character. It was not at all what my mind
          had created. I also was not partial to Matt being Dirk.
        • BNMJEFF@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
            Just as acuriosity question...sinxce most responses to this post were anti
            Matt and Steven's casting. I have seen no "instead of" posts....it's one thing
            to just say you don't like an actor in a role...who would you cast in the
            role???

            Jeff

          • laurinda Drummond
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 15, 2006
              somebody totally unknown i think. I would do a casting call for a variety of
              people. I do not think anybody in Hollywood is currently what i have in mind

              >From: BNMJEFF@...
              >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
              >Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 06:39:06 EST
              >
              >Just as acuriosity question...sinxce most responses to this post were anti
              >Matt and Steven's casting. I have seen no "instead of" posts....it's one
              >thing
              >to just say you don't like an actor in a role...who would you cast in the
              >role???
              >
              >Jeff

              Not only does Windows Live� OneCare� provide all-in-one PC care to keep your
              computer protected and well-maintained, but it also makes creating backup
              files a breeze. Try it today!
              http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca
            • natalie_carlson92
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 16, 2006
                well.. if you listen to breck eisner in the behind the scenes stuff on
                the dvd of sahara he says they looked around for a long time for the
                "right" al giordino and they couldn't find him. he said that nobody
                matched that physical description that could act. anyways.... i think
                i'd probably tell some guy that kind of looked like al... like the
                hair and the face kind of and tell him to like start working out every
                day to build up his muscles... i don't know who it would be tho... lol

                ~Nattie

                --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "laurinda Drummond"

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 17, 2006
                  so right. I mean i saw the guy they chose and it was like hello god no

                  >From: "natalie_carlson92" <miss_me_92@...>
                  >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
                  >Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 04:23:05 -0000
                  >
                  >well.. if you listen to breck eisner in the behind the scenes stuff on
                  >the dvd of sahara he says they looked around for a long time for the
                  >"right" al giordino and they couldn't find him. he said that nobody
                  >matched that physical description that could act. anyways.... i think
                  >i'd probably tell some guy that kind of looked like al... like the
                  >hair and the face kind of and tell him to like start working out every
                  >day to build up his muscles... i don't know who it would be tho... lol
                  >
                  >~Nattie
                  >

                  >--- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "laurinda Drummond"
                  ><laurinda_ann@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > somebody totally unknown i think. I would do a casting call for a
                  >variety of
                  > > people. I do not think anybody in Hollywood is currently what i have
                  >in mind
                  > >

                  > > >From: BNMJEFF@...
                  > > >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                  > > >Subject: Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
                  > > >Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 06:39:06 EST
                  > > >
                  > > >Just as acuriosity question...sinxce most responses to this post
                  >were anti
                  > > >Matt and Steven's casting. I have seen no "instead of"
                  >posts....it's one
                  > > >thing
                  > > >to just say you don't like an actor in a role...who would you cast
                  >in the
                  > > >role???
                  > > >
                  > > >Jeff

                  > > Not only does Windows Live� OneCare� provide all-in-one PC care to
                  >keep your
                  > > computer protected and well-maintained, but it also makes creating
                  >backup
                  > > files a breeze. Try it today!
                  > >
                  >http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca

                  Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
                  the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
                  a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com
                • natalie_carlson92
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 17, 2006
                    yeah. wait. who are you talking about? lol

                    <laurinda_ann@...> wrote:

                    > so right. I mean i saw the guy they chose and it was like hello god no
                    >

                    > >From: "natalie_carlson92" <miss_me_92@...>
                    > >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
                    > >Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 04:23:05 -0000
                    > >
                    > >well.. if you listen to breck eisner in the behind the scenes stuff on
                    > >the dvd of sahara he says they looked around for a long time for the
                    > >"right" al giordino and they couldn't find him. he said that nobody
                    > >matched that physical description that could act. anyways.... i think
                    > >i'd probably tell some guy that kind of looked like al... like the
                    > >hair and the face kind of and tell him to like start working out every
                    > >day to build up his muscles... i don't know who it would be tho... lol
                    > >
                    > >~Nattie
                    > >

                    > >--- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "laurinda Drummond"
                    > ><laurinda_ann@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > somebody totally unknown i think. I would do a casting call for a
                    > >variety of
                    > > > people. I do not think anybody in Hollywood is currently what i have
                    > >in mind

                    > >were anti
                    > >posts....it's one
                    > >in the

                  • flutefacekk
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 18, 2006
                      Honestly, I can't come up with anyone who quite fits the Al picture
                      I have, so I'd have to think about that for awhile. As far as Dirk,
                      I could see Jay Pickett in that role. Now, you're all probably
                      thinking "Jay who?" He's not a complete unknown, he's been around
                      for awhile, but is probably best known for his role as Frank Scanlon
                      on the unfortunately-now-defunct soap "Port Charles". He's a fine
                      actor with a good range, and pretty darn hot to boot. :) I could
                      definitely see him playing Dirk Pitt.

                    • BNMJEFF@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                        BUt Dirk was not "pretty darn hot"...stop trying to make him into a phony
                        James Bond :)

                      • laurinda Drummond
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 19, 2006
                          good grief no Dirk is not hot. God no. I always imagined an adventurer, who
                          was capable of stuff. Not looking for some hot guy, yeck

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 20, 2006
                            Good heavens, people, I was not suggesting a 'pretty boy' model!
                            Nor was I suggesting James Bond in any way, shape, or form - don't
                            know where that came from!

                            Jay Pickett is strong and masculine, and certainly capable of
                            pulling off a "rugged adventurer" image. Just because he spent time
                            in the world of soaps does not mean he can't act.

                            And who's to say that someone can't be an adventurer, and capable,
                            and still be attractive? Dirk certainly wins his share of the
                            ladies, doesn't he? My picture of him is not movie-star handsome,
                            but certainly not a troll, so I still say that Jay Pickett would fit
                            the bill.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 20, 2006
                              ok ha! sorry! :)

                              >From: "flutefacekk" <KathyKirchner@...>
                              >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
                              >Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:56:16 -0000
                              >
                              >Good heavens, people, I was not suggesting a 'pretty boy' model!
                              >Nor was I suggesting James Bond in any way, shape, or form - don't
                              >know where that came from!
                              >
                              >Jay Pickett is strong and masculine, and certainly capable of
                              >pulling off a "rugged adventurer" image. Just because he spent time
                              >in the world of soaps does not mean he can't act.
                              >
                              >And who's to say that someone can't be an adventurer, and capable,
                              >and still be attractive? Dirk certainly wins his share of the
                              >ladies, doesn't he? My picture of him is not movie-star handsome,
                              >but certainly not a troll, so I still say that Jay Pickett would fit
                              >the bill.
                              >

                              >--- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "laurinda Drummond"
                              ><laurinda_ann@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > good grief no Dirk is not hot. God no. I always imagined an
                              >adventurer, who
                              > > was capable of stuff. Not looking for some hot guy, yeck
                              > >

                              > > >From: BNMJEFF@...
                              > > >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                              > > >Subject: Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
                              > > >Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:38:15 EST
                              > > >
                              > > >BUt Dirk was not "pretty darn hot"...stop trying to make him into
                              >a phony
                              > > >James Bond :)

                              > > Not only does Windows Live� OneCare� provide all-in-one PC care to
                              >keep your
                              > > computer protected and well-maintained, but it also makes creating
                              >backup
                              > > files a breeze. Try it today!
                              > > http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-
                              >4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca

                              Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more�then map the best
                              route! Check out Live Local today! http://local.live.com/?mkt=en-ca/
                            • winfred karungi
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 20, 2006
                                hi guys i know what the big fuss is all about, anyway its been a long time sice we last had an interesting debate in this club but arguing about a character, for one i have never heardoj jay whats his second name(no offence dears)andi think mathew did a good job , right he was nothing like i had imagined dirk to be but he had the physical looks and muscles, i have no idea what they went through to get to him but he's what we got, i guess a number of people must be reading dirk pitts adventures with mathew in mind but its an image it can be changed, we are still trying to accept some one else as james bond instead of pierce brosnan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wats new in the world of books,

                                laurinda Drummond <laurinda_ann@...> wrote: ok ha! sorry! :)

                                >From: "flutefacekk"
                                >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
                                >Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:56:16 -0000
                                >
                                >Good heavens, people, I was not suggesting a 'pretty boy' model!
                                >Nor was I suggesting James Bond in any way, shape, or form - don't
                                >know where that came from!
                                >
                                >Jay Pickett is strong and masculine, and certainly capable of
                                >pulling off a "rugged adventurer" image. Just because he spent time
                                >in the world of soaps does not mean he can't act.
                                >
                                >And who's to say that someone can't be an adventurer, and capable,
                                >and still be attractive? Dirk certainly wins his share of the
                                >ladies, doesn't he? My picture of him is not movie-star handsome,
                                >but certainly not a troll, so I still say that Jay Pickett would fit
                                >the bill.
                                >

                                >--- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "laurinda Drummond"
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > good grief no Dirk is not hot. God no. I always imagined an
                                >adventurer, who
                                > > was capable of stuff. Not looking for some hot guy, yeck
                                > >

                                > > >From: BNMJEFF@...
                                > > >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                                > > >Subject: Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
                                > > >Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:38:15 EST
                                > > >
                                > > >BUt Dirk was not "pretty darn hot"...stop trying to make him into
                                >a phony
                                > > >James Bond :)

                                > > Not only does Windows Live™ OneCare™ provide all-in-one PC care to
                                >keep your
                                > > computer protected and well-maintained, but it also makes creating
                                >backup
                                > > files a breeze. Try it today!
                                > > http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-
                                >4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca

                                winnie the pooh

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 20, 2006
                                  Regarding James Bond..Thank goodness we got rid of Brosnan..Wish we could
                                  get Dalton back..if you read the books at all, he is most what Fleming wrote
                                  bond to be..hard not pretty boy attractive, but not unattractive and
                                  again..DARK...in the books, Bond was a bit unbalanced.....Got you curious??

                                  Jeff

                                • laurinda Drummond
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 20, 2006
                                    they say that the new casino royale is very close to what the idea for the
                                    bond character is. First i did not like the idea of the new guy but it is
                                    appealing to me now

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 20, 2006
                                      My friend and her husband saw Casino Royale this weekend and thoroughly
                                      enjoyed it.
                                      We're going ourselves to see it soon.

                                      Nancy/Dachsies for Life
                                      they say that the new casino royale is very close to what the idea for the
                                      bond character is. First i did not like the idea of the new guy but it is
                                      appealing to me now

                                      >From: BNMJEFF@...
                                      >To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
                                      >Subject: Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Re: Sahara- the movie
                                      >Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:25:58 EST
                                      >
                                      >Regarding James Bond..Thank goodness we got rid of Brosnan..Wish we could
                                      >get Dalton back..if you read the books at all, he is most what Fleming
                                      >wrote
                                      >bond to be..hard not pretty boy attractive, but not unattractive and
                                      >again..DARK...in the books, Bond was a bit unbalanced.....Got you
                                      >curious??
                                      >
                                      >Jeff

                                    • laurinda Drummond
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 20, 2006
                                        great maybe my husband and I will go! Laurinda

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 20, 2006
                                          exactly right..Craig looks to be a good true to the book type Bond

                                          Jeff