Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Sahara- the movie

  • Mark Hadlund
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
      The movie wasn't too bad, they just tried to fit too many subplots from the book into the film. There are enough plots for two or three movies or one huge miniseries.

      Mark
      From: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
      Date: 11/06/06 20:13:44
      To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Sahara- the movie

      Anybody agree with me? Sahara the movie was the greatest movie ever
      until I read the book. Now, as a movie based on the book, the movie
      STINKS, but as just a movie, I guess it still is a pretty good movie.
      Anybody agree?

    • Justin Fog
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
        I didn't like the movie.

        It was too much like a James Bond movie.

        The action was okay, alright, but it was too much James Bond - like. I also
        couldn't understand why the Kitty Mannock story was completely cut out of
        the movie. To give no explanation at all why the wreck of a plane would be
        there smack in the middle of the sahara desert to be found by Dirk and Al
        just when they needed it was not very good. Okay, it was included on the DVD
        as deleted scene, but what good would that do in the theater or for people
        who don't watch bonus material on a DVD?

        I enjoyed the book very much, as I did all of Dirk Pitt's adventures. But I
        really don't care for the movie. "Raise the Titanic" had been a very bad and
        boring movie. "Sahara" is not boring but nothing more than an average action
        movie, and its heroes could be named John Doe, Jim Smith and Jenny Brown
        instead of Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino and Eva Rojas. It wouldn't make a
        difference.

        The actors portraying Dirk, Al and Rudi Gunn weren't chosen very well. I had
        a completely different image of Dirk in my mind. The guy just doesn't look
        like the Dirk from the books - rather like Dirk Jr. from the latest novels.
        The Al Giordino of the movie is a big-mouthed clown and doesn't look like
        the novel Giordino at all. The Rudi Gunn from the book is totally different
        from the Rudi Gunn in the movies.

        And - where the heck were Hiram Yaeger and his computer gal, Max? And where
        was St. Julien Perlmutter?

        In my opinion, they should have chosen a novel like "Atlantis Found" or
        "Valhalla Rising" for a movie - with lots of underwater action and thrills
        underground and in the arctic. The setting in the shara desert is just too
        common for adventure movies - there have been many adventure movies set in
        the desert, but not many of them in arctic places or underground or
        underwater. After all, NUMA's main work takes place underwater. The
        significance of NUMA's work and Dirk's being there where he is when he's
        needed is simply not present in the movie.

        I rather read the book again and enjoy it instead of watching the movie one
        more time. I watched it. I forget it.

        Pete

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
          no clue. but does anyone know if he gives like tours or anything of
          his warehouse in golden colorado with all his cars in it? probably
          not. but it'd be pretty cool if he did!

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Silk"