Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Sahara- the movie

  • BNMJEFF@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
      Sorry....the movie was far better than the book...the whole fight at the
      fort in the book was preposterous, even for Dirk Pitt...I have read all of
      Cussler's books and enjoyed them all, but Sahara the Book had a bad ending with no
      chance of plausibility..only thing I miss was the Lincoln reference, but most
      people would have needed too much back story to explain it's roots in actual
      history.

      Jeff

    • Mark Hadlund
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
        The movie wasn't too bad, they just tried to fit too many subplots from the book into the film. There are enough plots for two or three movies or one huge miniseries.

        Mark
        From: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
        Date: 11/06/06 20:13:44
        To: clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Clive Cussler fan club] Sahara- the movie

        Anybody agree with me? Sahara the movie was the greatest movie ever
        until I read the book. Now, as a movie based on the book, the movie
        STINKS, but as just a movie, I guess it still is a pretty good movie.
        Anybody agree?

      • Justin Fog
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
          I didn't like the movie.

          It was too much like a James Bond movie.

          The action was okay, alright, but it was too much James Bond - like. I also
          couldn't understand why the Kitty Mannock story was completely cut out of
          the movie. To give no explanation at all why the wreck of a plane would be
          there smack in the middle of the sahara desert to be found by Dirk and Al
          just when they needed it was not very good. Okay, it was included on the DVD
          as deleted scene, but what good would that do in the theater or for people
          who don't watch bonus material on a DVD?

          I enjoyed the book very much, as I did all of Dirk Pitt's adventures. But I
          really don't care for the movie. "Raise the Titanic" had been a very bad and
          boring movie. "Sahara" is not boring but nothing more than an average action
          movie, and its heroes could be named John Doe, Jim Smith and Jenny Brown
          instead of Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino and Eva Rojas. It wouldn't make a
          difference.

          The actors portraying Dirk, Al and Rudi Gunn weren't chosen very well. I had
          a completely different image of Dirk in my mind. The guy just doesn't look
          like the Dirk from the books - rather like Dirk Jr. from the latest novels.
          The Al Giordino of the movie is a big-mouthed clown and doesn't look like
          the novel Giordino at all. The Rudi Gunn from the book is totally different
          from the Rudi Gunn in the movies.

          And - where the heck were Hiram Yaeger and his computer gal, Max? And where
          was St. Julien Perlmutter?

          In my opinion, they should have chosen a novel like "Atlantis Found" or
          "Valhalla Rising" for a movie - with lots of underwater action and thrills
          underground and in the arctic. The setting in the shara desert is just too
          common for adventure movies - there have been many adventure movies set in
          the desert, but not many of them in arctic places or underground or
          underwater. After all, NUMA's main work takes place underwater. The
          significance of NUMA's work and Dirk's being there where he is when he's
          needed is simply not present in the movie.

          I rather read the book again and enjoy it instead of watching the movie one
          more time. I watched it. I forget it.

          Pete

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
            no clue. but does anyone know if he gives like tours or anything of
            his warehouse in golden colorado with all his cars in it? probably
            not. but it'd be pretty cool if he did!

            --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Silk"