Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Sahara- the movie

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
      Since we are talking about Clive Cussler's talents, has anyone have
      any word on how he is doing? Did he have his car show this fall?

      Nancy/Dachsies for Life
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
        Sorry....the movie was far better than the book...the whole fight at the
        fort in the book was preposterous, even for Dirk Pitt...I have read all of
        Cussler's books and enjoyed them all, but Sahara the Book had a bad ending with no
        chance of plausibility..only thing I miss was the Lincoln reference, but most
        people would have needed too much back story to explain it's roots in actual
        history.

        Jeff

      • Mark Hadlund
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
          The movie wasn't too bad, they just tried to fit too many subplots from the book into the film. There are enough plots for two or three movies or one huge miniseries.

          Mark
          Personally, I think all books are better than the movie!!
          Unless the author is deeply involved in the production, the screen
          writers can often lose the flavor the author can provide the reader.

          Nancy/Dachsies for Life

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
            I didn't like the movie.

            It was too much like a James Bond movie.

            The action was okay, alright, but it was too much James Bond - like. I also
            couldn't understand why the Kitty Mannock story was completely cut out of
            the movie. To give no explanation at all why the wreck of a plane would be
            there smack in the middle of the sahara desert to be found by Dirk and Al
            just when they needed it was not very good. Okay, it was included on the DVD
            as deleted scene, but what good would that do in the theater or for people
            who don't watch bonus material on a DVD?

            I enjoyed the book very much, as I did all of Dirk Pitt's adventures. But I
            really don't care for the movie. "Raise the Titanic" had been a very bad and
            boring movie. "Sahara" is not boring but nothing more than an average action
            movie, and its heroes could be named John Doe, Jim Smith and Jenny Brown
            instead of Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino and Eva Rojas. It wouldn't make a
            difference.

            The actors portraying Dirk, Al and Rudi Gunn weren't chosen very well. I had
            a completely different image of Dirk in my mind. The guy just doesn't look
            like the Dirk from the books - rather like Dirk Jr. from the latest novels.
            The Al Giordino of the movie is a big-mouthed clown and doesn't look like
            the novel Giordino at all. The Rudi Gunn from the book is totally different
            from the Rudi Gunn in the movies.

            And - where the heck were Hiram Yaeger and his computer gal, Max? And where
            was St. Julien Perlmutter?

            In my opinion, they should have chosen a novel like "Atlantis Found" or
            "Valhalla Rising" for a movie - with lots of underwater action and thrills
            underground and in the arctic. The setting in the shara desert is just too
            common for adventure movies - there have been many adventure movies set in
            the desert, but not many of them in arctic places or underground or
            underwater. After all, NUMA's main work takes place underwater. The
            significance of NUMA's work and Dirk's being there where he is when he's
            needed is simply not present in the movie.

            I rather read the book again and enjoy it instead of watching the movie one
            more time. I watched it. I forget it.

            Pete

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
              no clue. but does anyone know if he gives like tours or anything of
              his warehouse in golden colorado with all his cars in it? probably
              not. but it'd be pretty cool if he did!

              --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Silk"