Re: [Clive Cussler fan club] Sahara- the movie

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
      Personally, I think all books are better than the movie!!
      Unless the author is deeply involved in the production, the screen
      writers can often lose the flavor the author can provide the reader.

      Nancy/Dachsies for Life
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
        Since we are talking about Clive Cussler's talents, has anyone have
        any word on how he is doing? Did he have his car show this fall?

        Nancy/Dachsies for Life
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
          Sorry....the movie was far better than the book...the whole fight at the
          fort in the book was preposterous, even for Dirk Pitt...I have read all of
          Cussler's books and enjoyed them all, but Sahara the Book had a bad ending with no
          chance of plausibility..only thing I miss was the Lincoln reference, but most
          people would have needed too much back story to explain it's roots in actual
          history.

          Jeff

        • Mark Hadlund
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
            The movie wasn't too bad, they just tried to fit too many subplots from the book into the film. There are enough plots for two or three movies or one huge miniseries.

            Mark

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2006
              I didn't like the movie.

              It was too much like a James Bond movie.

              The action was okay, alright, but it was too much James Bond - like. I also
              couldn't understand why the Kitty Mannock story was completely cut out of
              the movie. To give no explanation at all why the wreck of a plane would be
              there smack in the middle of the sahara desert to be found by Dirk and Al
              just when they needed it was not very good. Okay, it was included on the DVD
              as deleted scene, but what good would that do in the theater or for people
              who don't watch bonus material on a DVD?

              I enjoyed the book very much, as I did all of Dirk Pitt's adventures. But I
              really don't care for the movie. "Raise the Titanic" had been a very bad and
              boring movie. "Sahara" is not boring but nothing more than an average action
              movie, and its heroes could be named John Doe, Jim Smith and Jenny Brown
              instead of Dirk Pitt, Al Giordino and Eva Rojas. It wouldn't make a
              difference.

              The actors portraying Dirk, Al and Rudi Gunn weren't chosen very well. I had
              a completely different image of Dirk in my mind. The guy just doesn't look
              like the Dirk from the books - rather like Dirk Jr. from the latest novels.
              The Al Giordino of the movie is a big-mouthed clown and doesn't look like
              the novel Giordino at all. The Rudi Gunn from the book is totally different
              from the Rudi Gunn in the movies.

              And - where the heck were Hiram Yaeger and his computer gal, Max? And where
              was St. Julien Perlmutter?

              In my opinion, they should have chosen a novel like "Atlantis Found" or
              "Valhalla Rising" for a movie - with lots of underwater action and thrills
              underground and in the arctic. The setting in the shara desert is just too
              common for adventure movies - there have been many adventure movies set in
              the desert, but not many of them in arctic places or underground or
              underwater. After all, NUMA's main work takes place underwater. The
              significance of NUMA's work and Dirk's being there where he is when he's
              needed is simply not present in the movie.

              I rather read the book again and enjoy it instead of watching the movie one
              more time. I watched it. I forget it.

              Pete

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
                no clue. but does anyone know if he gives like tours or anything of
                his warehouse in golden colorado with all his cars in it? probably
                not. but it'd be pretty cool if he did!

                --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Silk"