Re: Trojan Odyssey

  • humtex
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3 9:57 AM
      We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I worked
      in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
      super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
      powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And they
      took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
      than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes for
      fun reading.

      I like MAX!

      Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
      beginning. Great reading!

      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
      <TimMcIlveen@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after being
      > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
      > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will buy
      > many more.
      > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me wince in
      > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable of
      > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
      > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so unbelieveable
      > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been far
      > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather than
      > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
      > thanks.
      > tim

    • smith_zuze
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 1, 2006
        Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
        the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
        programs)

        --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@...>
        wrote:

        > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
        worked
        > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution of
        > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
        > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
        they
        > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much different
        > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
        for
        > fun reading.
        >
        > I like MAX!
        >
        > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
        > beginning. Great reading!
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >
        > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
        > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi,
        > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
        being
        > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
        > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
        buy
        > > many more.
        > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
        wince in
        > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
        of
        > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
        > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
        unbelieveable
        > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have been
        far
        > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
        than
        > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
        > > thanks.
        > > tim

      • branca_87
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 5, 2006
          Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is
          part of the fun, that Max is too.

          Branca

          --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "smith_zuze"
          <smith_zuze@...> wrote:

          > Man. Max has changed a lot though out the series. Max is possible
          > the smartest person on earth. ( Person as lifeforms, Computer
          > programs)
          >
          > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "humtex" <humtex@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > We have seen MAX develope and grow through out the series. I
          > worked
          > > in computers for 35 years. Max isn't beyond the future evolution
          of
          > > super computers/artifical intelligence. This desktop pc is more
          > > powerful than the first mainframes I worked on so long ago. And
          > they
          > > took up a huge amount of space and power. Max isn't much
          different
          > > than HAL, Colossus (sp)or any of the Star Treks... Anyhow, makes
          > for
          > > fun reading.
          > >
          > > I like MAX!
          > >
          > > Tim,,,might want to back up and start the whole series from the
          > > beginning. Great reading!
          > >
          > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > >
          > > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "timmcilveen"
          > > <TimMcIlveen@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi,
          > > > I've just bought my first Cussler novel, Trojan Odyssey, after
          > being
          > > > blown away by the film, Sahara, which was great!
          > > > The book has been a great read so far and I reckon that I will
          > buy
          > > > many more.
          > > > One thing I did find VERY strange, however, and which made me
          > wince in
          > > > disbelief was the intelligent computer, Max, which was capable
          > of
          > > > human like reasoning, and apparently, the ability to conduct
          > > > complicated scientific tests itself! I found this so
          > unbelieveable
          > > > that it 'pulled me out' of the story. I think it would have
          been
          > far
          > > > more believable if Max had been the director of a lab, rather
          > than
          > > > being a computer! Does Max creep up in many Cussler novels?
          > > > thanks.
          > > > tim

        • Zuze Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 3, 2006
            Clive is awsome, Has anyone met him in person. I really would like to meet him.

            branca_87 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: Most, if not all, of Clive Cussler's books are unbelievable. It is