342Re: CNN Cussler interview

    Dec 7, 2002
      I could not agree more having Tom Cruise play Dirk Pitt would make me
      puke. Personally I dont like him that much and dont think of him as a
      good actor. although I did like him in "Far and Away". The reason CC
      hasnt done a movie since the disaster "Titanic" he wanted total
      control now he has seemed to have lost that. But like NUMA diver I
      always pitured a young Tom Selleck as Dirk. If the little guy Cruise
      is cast you have to have the guy that played Minime play Al. I'm not
      sure I will see it or not.
      Baba

      --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "numa_diver
      <NUMA_Diver@h...>" <NUMA_Diver@h...> wrote:
      > This is a very depressing topic. I am really looking forward to the
      > new movie and have refrained from writing anything on the topic
      > of "cast" until now. I had been trusting the fact that Dr. Cussler
      > has total control of cast approval. Now I'm worried...I know that
      Dr.
      > Cussler would not even think about Tom Cruise unless there was some
      > unknown force at play here. Now don't get me wrong, I think Tom
      > Cruise is a great actor and has done a great job with the roles he
      > has been given, but Dirk Pitt is different. You cannot cast a
      > 5'8"
      > boyish faced actor for a weathered 6'4" manly part. We all have
      > our
      > ideas of what Dirk should look like and we have arrived at those
      > conclusions after reading the descriptions in our beloved books. I
      > have to tell you that I have always pictured a younger Tom Selleck
      as
      > being Dirk Pitt, and if I'm not mistaken, Dr. Cussler
      > himself,also
      > stated at one time that he first pictured Selleck as Dirk Pitt. Now
      > how can we go from Selleck to Cruise??? We all remember too well
      the
      > tragedy of "Raise the Titanic" on film. I would hate to look back
      > on "Sahara", 5 or 10 years down the road and say..."geesh that
      would
      > have been such a great movie if they would have only had the right
      > actor." I am not sure of the time limits that have been set for
      this
      > movie but I would gladly wait another 5 years if it meant that the
      > right actor would be cast for Dirk. I have heard some good
      > suggestions including David James Elliot and Hugh Jackman, both
      > smaller names that would allow you to focus more on "Dirk Pitt" and
      > not the actor playing him. Now please keep in mind, this is only my
      > opinion but at least take a moment to reread ANY of the books and
      > after doing so, look up a picture of Tom Cruise and ask
      > yourself..."Is he even close?"
      > Take care
      > Still Hoping
      > NUMA Diver
      >

      > --- In clivecusslerfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <fhockeyf@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > It is starting to look like he doesn't have the "creative
      control"
      > > that he was supposed to have, while I will see the movie, I will
      > wait
      > > till it is released on video/dvd, if Tom Cruise is cast to play
      > Dirk
      > > Pitt. I do not think Cruise has the "right stuff" to pull this
      off.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic