Re: Laguna B3 brown

  • Maxine krasnow
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2006
      Hi Bert I have been firing B3 to Cone 6 for 10 years. I like the colour better at Cone 6 - almost black instead of dark brown. The only problem I have had is that teapots and mugs will leak if really hot water is poured in them. You can hear the clay bing and then there is a slow leak. I solved this by adding fine grog to the clay. If I am selling the pieces I always test them before sending them off. Other then that I have had no trouble firing the clay to Cone 6. I have also played around with sprinkling dry wood ash and portland cement on the clay and love the results. Hope this helps Maxine

      Bert Gibson <lazybbeefmaster@...> wrote: Has anybody used this clay, and if so, in what kind of application? I had planned on firing to cone 6 (oxidation) before I found a couple of references in the archives that mentioned problems with it. I checked with Laguna, and they told me this clay has a high COE and firing over ^5 can cause problems.

      Though I plan on doing some small tests with it at cone 6, I thought I would check and see if anybody had experience or advice if I find cone 6 doesn't work. Though it's called brown, the clay looks black.

      Thanks,
      Bert Gibson

      Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at melpots@....

      Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at melpots@....