Re: Wax Resist Peeling Off

  • Victoria E. Hamilton
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 6, 2005
      Bill -

      Forbes wax resist works great and you can thin it down quite a bit. For
      decoration over glaze, I like to thin it down to the consistency of skim
      milk. You can order it from Highwater Clays in Asheville, N.C.

      Vicki Hamilton
      Millennia Antica Pottery
      Seattle, WA - we still got sun and the tomatoes are ripening!

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
        Victoria - the Forbes wax is exactly what I used that caused the peeling
        problem over glaze. If you have used it successfully over glaze, I would
        like to know how you applied it, etc.

        thanks,
        Carole Fox
        Dayton, OH

        Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at melpots@....
      • Betty Burroughs
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
          > On 9/6/05 9:04 AM, "Carole Fox" <carolefox@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I left the
          > > wax to dry overnight, and when I came back the next morning, the wax had
          > > curled up and peeled away from the pots in irregular strips, taking
          uneven
          > > thicknesses of the underlying clear glaze with it.
          >
          > I've also had this problem with Campbell's wax emulsion.
          >
          > Getting ready to put in an order for more wax emulsion.
          >
          > Anybody have a brand that works well for over glaze application?
          >

          > --
          > William "Bill" Schran
          > Fredericksburg, Virginia

          Try latex resist. I have used it successfully over dried glaze. You must
          peel it off (with a pin) before firing but it comes off without lifting the
          underlying glaze.

          Betty Burroughs
          Victoria, BC

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 7, 2005
            Hi Carole -

            Hmmmmmm,interesting.

            Well, I thinned it down pretty much to a sort of skim milk consistency and
            then applied it with a natural hair (sheep, horse, something like that)
            brush. As it dries pretty fast, I then apply my second glaze over the
            resist. Usually these pieces will sit for a day or two before I load them
            in the kiln.

            Vicki Hamilton

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2005
              Latex Brushes - keep one or two in a sealed jar with the hair imersed in
              latex, or in a ziplock bag, thus making the brushes reusable. sometimes I
              freeze them. I will also wrap in plastic and freeze a paint roller. (I make
              latex molds but will now try it for resist!)

              I love using masking tape, the crisp lines and forms on raku especially, if
              you leave it on and it is covered in glaze you will get spots on the masked
              areas, I always peel it off.

              <BLOCKQUOTE style='PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #A0C6E5
              2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px'><font
              style='FONT-SIZE:11px;FONT-FAMILY:tahoma,sans-serif'><hr color=#A0C6E5
              size=1>
              From: <i>"m.mshelomi"
              <CLAYART@...></i><br>To:
              trouble when using the following:<br>> plain old wax resist from Axner
              or MN clay<br>> melted paraffin in an old electric fry pan used with a
              brush<br>>Picked up some latex that I really like but, it has to be
              peeled of <br>>before<br>>firing.(also requires a supply of
              inexpensive, throw away brushes <br>>because<br>>the brushes are
              Message -----<br>>From: "William & Susan Schran User"
              <wschran@...><br>>To:
              <CLAYART@...><br>>Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005
              4:45 PM<br>>Subject: Re: Wax Resist Peeling
              <carolefox@...> wrote:<br>>><br>>>>I left
              the<br>>>>wax to dry overnight, and when I came back the next
              morning, the <br>>>>wax had<br>>>>curled up and peeled
              away from the pots in irregular strips,
              the underlying clear glaze with it.<br>>><br>>>I've also had
              this problem with Campbell's wax emulsion.<br>>><br>>>Getting
              ready to put in an order for more wax
              emulsion.<br>>><br>>>Anybody have a brand that works well for
              over glaze
              "Bill" Schran<br>>>Fredericksburg,
              postings to clayart@...<br>>><br>>>You may look at
              the archives for the list or change your
              http://www.ceramics.org/clayart/<br>>><br>>>Moderator of the
              list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached
              postings to clayart@...<br>><br>>You may look at the
              archives for the list or change your <br>>subscription<br>>settings
              from http://www.ceramics.org/clayart/<br>><br>>Moderator of the list

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2005
                Victoria - the Forbes wax seems pretty thin to me in its original state,
                in fact it tends to run quite easily. Could you give me more specific
                info about how you dilute yours? It would be easier to follow a formula,
                e.g., 1 part wax emulsion to 1 part water, than to try to approximate the
                consistency of skim milk. As for application, I used natural hair brushes
                as you do. The resulting layer of wax when dry was pretty thin, a bit
                thicker on one pot than the others, but with similar peeling.

                I am also wondering if there are any characteristics of the underlying
                glaze that would have contributed to the peeling of the wax.

                I had sent an email inquiry to Highwater Clay last week, but have not
                received a response yet. Anyone else have any thoughts?

                Thanks,
                Carole Fox,
                Dayton, OH

                Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at melpots@....
              • Kathy Stecker
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 10, 2005
                  I've been able to be somewhat successful with removing latex from brushes I
                  had forgotten to either apply soap initially to or simply left out to dry by
                  softening the latex in ammonia.Latex can also be spread with one of those rubber
                  type tip paint brushes that are great for sculpture and smoothing as well and
                  those clean easily when dry. I've used Q-tips as well.Now if I can only find
                  the strip of latex that I masked a carved piece with . I applied the latex in
                  many coats as you would for a mold-was hoping to test it out as a relief
                  pattern by rubbing the mold onto another pot or running it thru the slab
                  roller-dang where is that thing?

                  I have also had success with quilters 1/4 inch width tape for masking-you
                  just need to get it off early enough that the glaze edge doesn't chip or wet down
                  the very edge where that might happen before you peel with a sponge lightly.

                  Made a large pot today with clay that was a bit too hard-my aching hands-but
                  like the pot a lot-want to do an interesting fastening for the lid-wish David
                  Hendley lived nearby so I could pick his brain. So David how bout a workshop
                  on lid attachments? in the future?

                  Kathy Stecker

                  Winter Springs FL

                  Moderator of the list is Mel Jacobson who may be reached at melpots@....