Re: The Aspern Papers

  • Frank T
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
      --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, "ksagun13" <ksagun13@...>
      wrote:

      > I thought the Aspern Papers was the book for December. Or are we
      > skipping December?
      >
      > And I've always assumed Frank T. is our moderator!
      >
      > Karen S.

      The Aspern Papers is the book for December, thanks for catching my typo.
      I have been the self proclaimed caretaker for this group for the last
      couple of years, but without moderator powers. That means I don't see
      when people are trying to join, and can't approve new members when they
      wish to join. I also can not change the group's home page to reflect
      what we are currently reading. One of the earlier moderators was
      keeping us up to date, but they have been dealing with real life
      issues, and I'm guessing don't have the time to do it anymore. I first
      joined this group when it was a club, and felt the need to keep it
      going, so I'm willing to try one more thing.
      FrankT
    • blueeyesmeg
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
        --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, "Frank T" <XTONTOX@...>
        wrote:

        > The Aspern Papers is the book for December, thanks for catching my
        typo.
        > I have been the self proclaimed caretaker for this group for the
        last
        > couple of years, but without moderator powers. That means I don't
        see
        > when people are trying to join, and can't approve new members when
        they
        > wish to join. I also can not change the group's home page to
        reflect
        > what we are currently reading. One of the earlier moderators was
        > keeping us up to date, but they have been dealing with real life
        > issues, and I'm guessing don't have the time to do it anymore. I
        first
        > joined this group when it was a club, and felt the need to keep it
        > going, so I'm willing to try one more thing.
        > FrankT

        Hi Frank, The Aspern Papers can be read online at:

        http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/james/henry/j2a/

        I like to thank you for keeping the club going under such difficult
        conditions. It is with your efforts that we always have a book to
        read each month which has been democratically selected.
        Is it worthwhile emailing to Yahoo and explaining the problem, that
        the club has no current moderator, and can it be changed to you
        without starting a new club?

        Meg
      • blueeyesmeg
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2007
          I have only read the first two chapters of The Aspern Papers, but so
          far I am enjoy the deviousness of the story teller. I remember reading
          somewhere, I think I am correct, that James had Bryon in mind when he
          wrote this story.

          "In The Aspern Papers (1888), an unscrupulous critic is hunting for the
          papers of the late Jeffrey Aspern, former lover of the ancient, aloof
          and imperious Miss Juliana Bordereau. More accessible by far is her
          sister Miss Tina, middle-aged, frumpish, and completely unpredictable.
          From their vast palace in a musty corner of magical Venice, these
          sisters' wrangling with their anonymous critic exemplifies James's
          concern with the impact of ancient European civilization upon American
          identity."

          Meg
        • blueeyesmeg
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
            Hi all, A few corrections to my last post. Firstly, my typo error
            Bryon, of course should be Byron, and the second one I obtained from
            the web. Miss Tina/ Miss Tita is the niece of Miss Juliana Bordereau
            not her sister.
            The following is a good website "Henry James in Venice"
            http://www.stanford.edu/~evans/Venice/index.htm

            Meg