The Scarlet Pimpernel

  • ksagun13
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
      I started it last night, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's especially
      interesting since we read "A Tale of Two Cities" earlier this year, and
      it deals with the same time period from a different approach.

      But I must admit I keep thinking about the Warner Brothers
      cartoon, "The Scarlet Pumpernickle" with Daffy Duck!! I think it's
      included in one of the Golden Collection DVDs, I'll have to look for
      it. (Well, it is a classic cartoon!)

      Karen S.
    • Frank T
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
        I just finished the first chapter myself. I found it to be easy to
        read and interesting. I remember watching the movie when I was a kid.
        This one seems to be right up my alley.
        FrankT
        --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, "ksagun13" <ksagun13@...>
        wrote:

        > I started it last night, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's especially
        > interesting since we read "A Tale of Two Cities" earlier this year,
        and
        > it deals with the same time period from a different approach.
        >
        > But I must admit I keep thinking about the Warner Brothers
        > cartoon, "The Scarlet Pumpernickle" with Daffy Duck!! I think it's
        > included in one of the Golden Collection DVDs, I'll have to look for
        > it. (Well, it is a classic cartoon!)
        >
        > Karen S.

      • Frank T
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
          Is anyone besides Karen and me reading the book. I am through chapter
          9 and the adventure seems to be just beginning. This book reminds me
          of the old swashbuckling movies with Errol Flynn and Kirk Douglas.
          I am enjoying the book, but was wondering if this is classic literature
          or just an old book?
          FrankT
        • Michael Parker
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
            Frank T wrote:

            > Is anyone besides Karen and me reading the book.

            I read The Scarlet Pimpernel a few years ago, I believe for the
            second time (the first might have been an abridgment). It was fun and
            breezy but I don't think it quite competes with Alexander Dumas. I
            recently read the new translation of La Guerre des femmes by Dumas
            and highly recommend it.

            --
            Mike in Hilton Head

            A Celebration of Reading
            @ http://web.mac.com/mparker_46
            Yahoo Reading Groups:

            .................... CR ....................
            Père Goriot -- Honoré de Balzac
            Felix Holt: The Radical -- George Eliot
            Notre Dame des Fleurs -- Jean Genet
            Maldoror -- Le Comte de Lautréamont
            White Teeth -- Zadie Smith
            .................... RR ....................
            Labyrinths -- Jorge Luis Borges
            The Diary of a Nobody-- George & Weedon Grossmith
            Native Speaker -- Chang-Rae Lee
            The People of the Abyss -- Jack London
            .................... FR ....................
            Ham On Rye -- Charles Bukowski
            Martin Eden -- Jack London
            Before Adam -- Jack London
            Killing Mr. Watson -- Peter Matthiessen
            On Chesil Beach -- Ian McEwan.
            Esther Waters -- George Moore
            Jackson's Dilemma -- Iris Murdoch

          • David Christie
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
              It is an interesting question Frank. I dont really think that anyone
              would seriously propose the Scarlet Pimpernel as a member of any kind
              of canon of < classic englit> but, on the other hand, SP has entered
              into the <culture base> if you like of the English-speaking world and
              ignorance of it would be a sign of a genuinely uneducated person. For
              example in an old British comedy film, Sid James played a character
              in the 18th century known as <The Black Fingernail> !!
              David
              On 05/10/2007, at 10:31 PM, Frank T wrote:

              > Is anyone besides Karen and me reading the book. I am through chapter
              > 9 and the adventure seems to be just beginning. This book reminds me
              > of the old swashbuckling movies with Errol Flynn and Kirk Douglas.
              > I am enjoying the book, but was wondering if this is classic
              > literature
              > or just an old book?
              > FrankT

            • Michael Parker
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2007
                Frank T wrote:

                > This book reminds me of the old swashbuckling movies ...

                Actually, it is one of the old swashbuckling movies with Leslie
                Howard as the foppish Sir Percy Blakeney (AKA you know who).

                We seek him here, we seek him there,
                Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
                Is he in heaven? - Is he in hell?
                That damned, elusive Pimpernel?

                And before that it was a hugely successful play, in the manner of
                Dracula or The Mousetrap. But I'm wondering: was it as popular in
                France as it was in England?

                --
                Mike in Hilton Head

                A Celebration of Reading
                @ http://web.mac.com/mparker_46
                Yahoo Reading Groups:

                .................... CR ....................
                Felix Holt: The Radical -- George Eliot
                Notre Dame des Fleurs -- Jean Genet
                Maldoror -- Le Comte de Lautréamont
                On Chesil Beach -- Ian McEwan
                White Teeth -- Zadie Smith
                .................... RR ....................

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 2007
                  According to the introduction in my copy, " . . . the novel was
                  rejected by 12 publishers. A stage adaptation at the Nottingham Theater
                  Royal in 1903, however, turned the tide for Orczy's novel, which was
                  published in 1905 to coinide with an immensely well-received London
                  production. . . . Following this startling success, Orczy became an
                  extremely prolific writer." It then goes on to describe all the
                  sequels and other adventure and detective novels Orczy wrote.

                  Michael, I'm glad you pointed out the comparison to "The Mousetrap,"
                  which I saw performed on the stage in Toronto when I was a teenager,
                  which closed in 2004 after a run of more than 26 years.

                  It also reminded me a bit of the popularity of "Phantom of the Opera,"
                  which I'm hoping to start shortly for another online book group.
                  Apparently it was ignored by reviewers for years until it was
                  successfully adapted as a silent film starring Lon Chaney. From the
                  introduction I gather that Leroux writing was pretty highly regarded.
                  I'm not sure I would categorize The Scarlet Pimpernel as great
                  literature, but it was a fun read, especially after The Scarlet Letter.

                  Karen S.

                  --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, Michael Parker