Kerouac

  • David Christie
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      Well, I have just collected "On the Road" from the local University
      library. It is a pretty battered 1974 edition with lots of pencil
      annotations and comments from some anonymous student in the past.
      Isn't that an obnoxious habit.
      The style of Chapter I is very fast and racy first person narrative,
      it is essentially a conversation that Kerouac is having with me – I
      could be on the back of his Harley.
      David
    • blueeyesmeg
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi David, I pick my copy up tomorrow from the library, and hopefully
        unlike your edition it doesn't have lots of penciling. I agree I
        always note my comments on a note pad rather than deface the book I
        am reading. I read this book many moons ago and saw a documentary
        recently on Kerouac so looking forward to the discussion.
        I didn't read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn again, as no one discussed it,
        but if anyone has the chance to read this book I would highly
        recommend it.
        I just finished reading The Sea by John Banville, he won the Booker
        Man Prize this year for this novel. A great read and would highly
        recommend this read also.

        Meg

        In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, David Christie <dgsc@i...>
        wrote:

        > Well, I have just collected "On the Road" from the local
        University
        > library. It is a pretty battered 1974 edition with lots of pencil
        > annotations and comments from some anonymous student in the past.
        > Isn't that an obnoxious habit.
        > The style of Chapter I is very fast and racy first person
        narrative,
        > it is essentially a conversation that Kerouac is having with me –
        > could be on the back of his Harley.
        > David

      • A. Bustillo
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
          An interesting docu on Kerouac,
          King of the Beats

          blueeyesmeg <broughtonmargaret@...> wrote:
          I read this book many moons ago and saw a documentary
          recently on Kerouac so looking forward to the discussion.

          A. Bustillo
          www.geocities.com/SteadyTraining