Re: [CRG] August Nominations/Time to vote

  • Frank T
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 12:44 AM
      Sorry Mike, you're about a week late. In case anyone is not sure, our
      book for August is Billy Budd by Melville.
      FrankT
      --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, Michael Parker
      <mdparker@d...> wrote:
      > I also vote for La-Bas.
      >
      > On Jul 15, 2005, at 11:13 PM, Rose Lieberman wrote:
      >
      > > I vote for La-Bas.  I wasn't sure if this was to be an email
      response
      > > or wait for a poll vote.  In any event, my vote is for La-Bas.
      >
      > --
      > Mike in Hilton Head
    • Michael Parker
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 7:59 AM
        Frank T wrote:

        > Sorry Mike, you're about a week late.  In case anyone is not sure,
        > our book for August is Billy Budd by Melville.

        Drat! I was on non-computer vacation; I didn't even get a chance to
        vote on the title I nominated?

        Billy Budd? Wasn't that a short story they forced us all to read in 9th
        grade? I read Moby Dick last month so Melville is on my mind.

        --
        Mike in Hilton Head

        False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
        with evil. -- Plato

        A Celebration of Reading
        ..... @ http://homepage.mac.com/mparker_46/ACOR
        Yahoo Reading Groups:
      • Frank T
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2 12:34 AM
          <mdparker@d...> wrote:

          > Billy Budd? Wasn't that a short story they forced us all to read in
          9th grade? I read Moby Dick last month so Melville is on my mind.

          > --
          > Mike in Hilton Head

          It does look like Billy Budd is a short story, though I don't think
          I've read it before.
          FrankT
        • Denise Cerniglia
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2 7:01 AM
            Maybe a silly question, but will the discussion be only on the story Billy
            Budd, Sailor, or will it be on all of the stories contained within Billy
            Budd and Other Stories?

            >From: "Frank T" <XTONTOX@...>
            >To: classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [CRG] August Nominations/Time to vote
            >Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:34:06 -0000
            >
            >--- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, Michael Parker
            ><mdparker@d...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Billy Budd? Wasn't that a short story they forced us all to read in
            >9th grade? I read Moby Dick last month so Melville is on my mind.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Mike in Hilton Head
            >
            >It does look like Billy Budd is a short story, though I don't think
            >I've read it before.
            >FrankT

          • Michael Parker
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3 6:57 PM
              Denise Cerniglia wrote:

              > Maybe a silly question, but will the discussion be only on the
              > story Billy Budd, Sailor, or will it be on all of the stories
              > contained within Billy Budd and Other Stories?

              Did we specify a particular text on this one? My copy contains Pierre,
              Israel Potter, The Piazza Tales, The Confidence-Man, Tales and Billy
              Budd. I could go for Pierre myself.

              --
              Mike in Hilton Head

              The true hypocrite is the one who ceases to perceive his deception, the
              one who lies with sincerity. -- André Gide

              A Celebration of Reading
              ..... @ http://homepage.mac.com/mparker_46/ACOR
              Yahoo Reading Groups:
            • chodgkin
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3 8:35 PM
                --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, "Denise Cerniglia"
                <dcernig@h...> wrote:
                > Maybe a silly question, but will the discussion be only on the story
                Billy
                > Budd, Sailor, or will it be on all of the stories contained within
                Billy
                > Budd and Other Stories?

                I assumed just Billy Budd, since different editions will have
                different stories. And for some of us, BB itself is enough for a
                month, what with all the other reading we do.
              • Frank T
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4 2:30 AM
                  <dcernig@h...> wrote:
                  > Maybe a silly question, but will the discussion be only on the story
                  Billy
                  > Budd, Sailor, or will it be on all of the stories contained within
                  Billy
                  > Budd and Other Stories?

                  I might have the same book as you do, at least it has the same title.
                  The discussion is up to the members of the group, if you are willing to
                  read more stories and post on them, that's good and may get more
                  discussion going.
                  FrankT
                • Kevin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4 6:20 AM
                    My copy only contains Billy Budd, but I know that other copies
                    contian other shorter works of Melville. When I nominated Billy Budd,
                    I did not realize it was so short. I won't have tiem to read much
                    more than Billy Budd, so if someone else wants to lead a side
                    discussion on Bartleby, or any other book, please feel free.

                    <dcernig@h...> wrote:
                    > Maybe a silly question, but will the discussion be only on the
                    story Billy
                    > Budd, Sailor, or will it be on all of the stories contained within
                    Billy
                    > Budd and Other Stories?
                    >
                    > >From: "Frank T" <XTONTOX@a...>
                    > >To: classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com
                    > >Subject: Re: [CRG] August Nominations/Time to vote
                    > >Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:34:06 -0000
                    > >
                    > >--- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, Michael Parker
                    > ><mdparker@d...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Billy Budd? Wasn't that a short story they forced us all to
                    read in
                    > >9th grade? I read Moby Dick last month so Melville is on my mind.
                    > > >
                    > > > --
                    > > > Mike in Hilton Head
                    > >
                    > >It does look like Billy Budd is a short story, though I don't think
                    > >I've read it before.
                    > >FrankT

                  • Kevin
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4 6:22 AM
                      My copy only contains Billy Budd, but I can easily run to the library
                      and pick up another copy, if some wants to discuss other shorter
                      novels.