July Nominations

  • Frank T
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
      I want to start the nominating /voting process early this month to give
      those who don't have easy access to our choice more time to get it.
      One nomination per person. I ask that you be willing to lead the
      discussion on any book you nominate.
      FrankT
    • Michael Parker
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
        Frank T wrote:

        > I ask that you be willing to lead the discussion on any book you
        > nominate.

        Although sometimes I end up liking another person's nomination more, I
        guess I can agree to this. Since this is a Classics group and since I
        have bent the definition of a classic more than once myself, this time
        I will nominate a book that can only be considered a classic -- The
        House of the Dead by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

        Ted Murena writes: Reading the House of the Dead is essential to
        understanding Dostoyevsky. While his novels are far more elaborate and
        well developed in a literary sense, this book is important because it
        is based on his actual experience. It does contain the seed of
        philosophy and analysis of human nature that drives much of his other
        works and this is written in a manifest manner. This book is relatively
        plot less but the characters and scenes are well developed and often it
        strikes awe in the reader. Being so easy to read, straight forward, and
        all together interesting I suggest this book highly to those who want
        an introduction to Dostoyevsky.

        A wonderful companion read for the Dostoyevsky would be Aleksandr
        Solzhenitsyn's A Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovitch (but that's too
        contemporary on its own.)

        --
        Mike in Hilton Head

        "The enemy aggressor is always pursuing a course of larceny, murder,
        rapine and barbarism. We are always moving forward with high mission, a
        destiny imposed by the Deity to regenerate our victims while
        incidentally capturing their markets, to civilise savage and senile and
        paranoid peoples while blundering accidentally into their oil wells."
        -- John Flynn

        A Celebration of Reading
        ..... @ http://homepage.mac.com/mparker_46/ACOR
        Yahoo Reading Groups:
      • MandyCandyLand@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2005
          I'd like to nominate A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe. Thanks!

          Debbie Lee Wesselmann's Review:

          Nobel prize-winning novelist Kenzaburo Oe's best known book is a remarkable and intimate journey through the maze of ethics, fatherhood, and responsibility. The protagonist Bird is a dreamer; he dreams of going to Africa, of undemanding love, of a perfect son - none of which are within his grasp. His child is born with a herniated brain, and his wife's obstetrician is already talking excitedly about an autopsy as the baby, a boy, continues to live. This stubborn will to live, and Bird's responsibility to decide his son's fate, drives Bird deep into denial. If he doesn't do anything, then the baby might die naturally, and Bird will be free of the deformity that threatens to reflect ill on him as a man and husband. But his wife wants their child to survive; she wants to name him, to love him. And Bird begins to question his first inclinations. His touching relationship with his mistress Himiko only reinforces his sense of inadequacy and cowardice - until, that is, he begins to accept life as it is.
          This stark, haunting novel leaves the reader with a deep sense of both loss and hope, although the latter is more, in Bird's mind, "forbearance." Oe's honest treatment of this difficult subject matter is sensitive and skilled, understated in a way that emphasizes the magnitude of what Bird faces. John Nathan's translation provides smooth, beautifully-rendered prose.
          The subject matter may be too depressing for some readers but should appeal to those interested in quality literature. The issues Oe tackles are significant, and his characters, deeply human. A PERSONAL MATTER is an unforgettable novel not to be missed.

          I want to start the nominating /voting process early this month to give
          those who don't have easy access to our choice more time to get it.
          One nomination per person. I ask that you be willing to lead the
          discussion on any book you nominate.
          FrankT

          The April book is _The Call of the Wild_ by Jack London.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to: