The Man Wh Was...

  • amos3303
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
      Has anyone started this one yet? I am just over half way through and
      feel I have to persevere, but I'm really having problems with it!
      Does anyone have any pointers? I am not enjoying this experience at
      the moment. Some of the descriptions of the landscape are truely
      haunting but I guess I'm just used to the more traditional plot
      style.

      Julie
    • ajs
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
        I'm feeling a little guilty here. I voted for this book, yet have had
        difficulty getting into it, myself, not to mention most of my time
        this month is taken up with National Novel Writing Month

        http://www.NaNoWriMo.org

        When I voted for this book I had completely forgotten that I'd signed
        up for nanowrimo.

        The Man who was Thursday is not terribly long, so I am going to make
        an effort to get into it, at least.

        Ariannah in Halifax.

      • Floinct@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
          I'm waiting for the library to call me. Now after reading your comments, I
          wonder if I want to read this book.

          Flo

        • Mariel

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 4, 2004
              Hi all I have finished reading the novel and did enjoy it. It
              reminded me of a cross between the dreamlike story of The Master and
              Margarita and also Plato's book on justice, The Republic.

              Meg
            • kjcar11
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
                I'm with you. I never really got into the book, did not enjoy it at
                all, and just finished it in order to be done with it.

                Well, I must say that I don't know what to make of the story. I
                simply do not get it. I am eagerly awaiting comments from others who
                can perhaps explain this to me.

                kjcar11

                --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, "amos3303" <julie@j...>
                wrote:

                > Has anyone started this one yet? I am just over half way through and
                > feel I have to persevere, but I'm really having problems with it!
                > Does anyone have any pointers? I am not enjoying this experience at
                > the moment. Some of the descriptions of the landscape are truely
                > haunting but I guess I'm just used to the more traditional plot
                > style.
                >
                > Julie
              • blueeyesmeg
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 7, 2004
                  Hi Flo, do read The Man Who Was Thursday, keep an open mind and go
                  with the flow of the story and I am sure you will enjoy the farce.

                  Meg

                • Floinct@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
                    Thanks Meg. I hardly ever give up on a book. You know, read about 1/3 in
                    before you put it aside? I will cetainly give it a try!!

                    Flo!

                  • burbleth
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 9, 2004
                      Forgive me my reticence for the past six months, yet the influence this club has had on me is incalcuable. I am catching up with "The Mill on the Floss" and what a delicious read it is with "To slam doors was an offence to be wiped out only by twenty lines of Vergil." Meg, you must begin reading "The Vivisector" by Patrick White!

                      blueeyesmeg <broughtonmargaret@...> wrote:
                      Hi Flo, do read The Man Who Was Thursday, keep an open mind and go
                      with the flow of the story and I am sure you will enjoy the farce.

                      Meg

                      --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, Floinct@a... wrote:

                      > I'm waiting for the library to call me. Now after reading your
                      comments, I
                      > wonder if I want to read this book.
                      >
                      > Flo

                      The October book is _Ethan Frome_ by Edith Wharton.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • blueeyesmeg
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 9, 2004
                        Hi Michael, I hope to read more of White next year. I have read the
                        Tree of Man by White this year and loved it as I did with Voss which
                        is high on my list of favourite novels. The Vivisector is sitting on
                        the shelf waiting to be picked up and read. The only problem is I
                        have about another 20 books waiting for me to read. I have so many
                        books and so little time.

                        Meg

                        --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, burbleth
                        <michael_carvlin@y...> wrote:
                        > Forgive me my reticence for the past six months, yet the influence
                        this club has had on me is incalcuable. I am catching up with "The
                        Mill on the Floss" and what a delicious read it is with "To slam doors
                        was an offence to be wiped out only by twenty lines of Vergil." Meg,
                        you must begin reading "The Vivisector" by Patrick White!

                        > blueeyesmeg <broughtonmargaret@h...> wrote:
                        > Hi Flo, do read The Man Who Was Thursday, keep an open mind and go
                        > with the flow of the story and I am sure you will enjoy the farce.
                        >
                        > Meg
                        >
                        > --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, Floinct@a... wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I'm waiting for the library to call me. Now after reading your
                        > comments, I
                        > > wonder if I want to read this book.
                        > >
                        > > Flo

                        > The October book is _Ethan Frome_ by Edith Wharton.
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • burbleth
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 11, 2004
                          Hi Meg,

                          As I write, I have before me a grand commemorative coin of the sixtieth anniversary of the erection of Sydney Harbour Bridge which I had the pleasure to travel over during my visit to the city in 1992. I even have relatives in Melbourne! Oh to see an opera performed at that architectural gem in Sydney Harbour, Britten's "Billy Budd" perhaps?

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 12, 2004
                            Hi Michael, I love visiting Sydney, it is a beutiful city and has
                            wonderful sights; but Melbourne is where I love to live. I do hope
                            you get to see an opera at the Sydney Opera House.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 12, 2004
                              Good on you Flo. I hate giving up on books, especially club reads.
                              It does take a while to get into the Man Who Was Thursday, it is a bit
                              of a jungle, but quite amusing an optimistic tale.