Re: [CRG] Re: controversial books and conservative libraries

  • scott guiinn
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 31, 2004
      No Sade? Geez, what do you do for fun down there ... dance with snakes
      in your mouth?

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 31, 2004
        >No Sade? Geez, what do you do for fun down there ... dance with >snakes
        >in your mouth?

        Actually, that is just up the road--we are total submergesion pond dunkers around here

      • blueeyesmeg
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2004
          Hi Bekah, I just checked with my library, which I did on online, and
          that to me is one of the best things since sliced bread - lol. The
          library has a 1902, (one copy older than me), 1969 and 2000 published
          copies of Heart of Darkness, plus and audio book - I was impressed.
          I am tempted to buy books from Amazon but I worry about visa card
          scams, and I think the shipping would take too long.

          Meg

          > That's not different. I went to look for Heart of Darkness the other
          > day at the public library and there was only one copy and it was
          > inside a big very old volume of other Conrad tales. The book was
          > older than I am and I'm a grandma ... not funny.
          >
          > I do have access to a pretty good interlibrary loan system except
          > that when I went to get Women and Men some little podunk library
          > wouldn't let it out of their library system, I guess it was valuable.
          > So unless I wanted to drive 70 miles I couldn't get it. I ordered it
          > from Amazon.
          >
          > Amazon is the best thing since sliced bread. Sad thing is you have to
          > have money to go there.
          >
          > Bekah

        • renee mouilso
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2004
            Meg & Bekak:
            I Agree! Amazon, & Online Library catalogues, and Sliced Bread. 3 cheers!
            My town's little library, joined up with a dozen or so others to form a "Lakeshores Library Sytem", and members are able to search online within that system & borrowing priviliges, and fines are uniform within that sytem. However, a single click will take you to our STATE sytstem called WIS CAT (Wisconsin Catalogue) and I can search ALL libraries within the state of Wisconsin. Access to those libraries takes a bit longer & the borrowing time can be shorter, with no renewals. However, I have read many old classics that way, & heard many classic books on tape that way as well. A world of info at our fingertips---and FREE.
            There are many copies of Master & Margarita in the state of Wisconsin, but unfortunately none on tape (sigh), so I may or may not join in on the discussion. I have 5 hours per day in my car, perfect for listening to books, however very little time to read written words.

            blueeyesmeg <broughtonmargaret@...> wrote:
            Hi Bekah, I just checked with my library, which I did on online, and
            that to me is one of the best things since sliced bread - lol. The
            library has a 1902, (one copy older than me), 1969 and 2000 published
            copies of Heart of Darkness, plus and audio book - I was impressed.
            I am tempted to buy books from Amazon but I worry about visa card
            scams, and I think the shipping would take too long.

            Meg

            > That's not different. I went to look for Heart of Darkness the other
            > day at the public library and there was only one copy and it was
            > inside a big very old volume of other Conrad tales. The book was
            > older than I am and I'm a grandma ... not funny.
            >
            > I do have access to a pretty good interlibrary loan system except
            > that when I went to get Women and Men some little podunk library
            > wouldn't let it out of their library system, I guess it was valuable.
            > So unless I wanted to drive 70 miles I couldn't get it. I ordered it
            > from Amazon.
            >
            > Amazon is the best thing since sliced bread. Sad thing is you have to
            > have money to go there.
            >
            > Bekah

            We are currently reading _Tropic of Cancer_ by Henry Miller.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • carllie_1
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1, 2004
              Thanks very much for all the detailed info, Bekah, it does make it a
              lot clearer now. As you saw, I was totally ignorant of how they could
              vary so much. Though I knew a century ago there would have been vast
              differences I had assumed that by today it would have been more
              standardized.

              Carnegie is a name I know, since he was a Scot, and I'm half Scot
              myself. I know his birthplace area well, my grandmother also coming
              from Fife. I was familiar with many apocryphal, and a few genuine,
              facts concerning him - his coming from a radical background, father a
              chartist handloom weaver, trade in decline after industrialization,
              cause for the emigration, then his philanthropy donating to first
              libraries, parks and to universities, and his buying that monstrosity
              Skibo - however his American years were generally summed up with 'he
              made his money in steel and was a typical canny scot.' We were
              interested in what he did for us, glossed over where the money came
              from, and uninterested in what he did for the country where he'd made
              his money. Sad to say, there is a tendency to be interested in
              Scots/Brits who do well only if they remain here, or when they come
              back home - especially when spouting things like 'my mother was a
              heroine' and 'I was supremely gifted in my birthplace,' I remember my
              mum telling me both those while I was quite young. The Scots have a
              weakness for romantic nostalgia. And the other half of me is Irish,
              and they're even more troublesome. :-)

              Thanks for the link, Bekah, it seems to work fine. Soon as I have
              time, I'll enjoy reading about his uneventful American sojourn.

              carllie

              Oh, and if anyone does nominate Tristram Shandy, I'd be in for a re-
              read. And, Mike, thanks for telling me how funny Belle du Seigneur
              was, I'm about quarter way through and enjoying it, but for that
              might not have got round to it for ages, it being post-1950 and me
              not being much of a modernist. :-0 They had to get it through inter-
              library loan though, yet I first read New Grub Street a year ago and
              notice they have almost all Gissing's works on shelf, and
              all 'popular' authors, yet more modern classics are not so plentiful,
              which fits in with the review of less books being bought in the last
              few decades.

              --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, Bekah <bekah0176@s...>
              wrote:
              > Carlie, I see you live in the UK.
              >
              > I think that things are different in the US. We have local
              libraries
              > which receive money from various places including grants from the
              > federal government, local taxes, private funding and grants, stuff
              > like that. Each library, city, county, regional,etc. is sort of on
              > their own that way. Some have a lot of money, some have very
              little.
              > (Some towns don't have a library because the taxpayers refuse to
              > support one.)
              >
              > Most of the libraries here were originally set up by one Andrew
              > Carnegie, a steel tycoon, in the late 19th century.
            • Bekah
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 1, 2004
                At 6:48 AM -0700 8/1/04, renee mouilso wrote:
                >I may or may not join in on the discussion. I have 5 hours per day
                >in my car, perfect for listening to books, however very little time
                >to read written words.

                Oh my gosh! I listen to books from audible.com for about 40 to 60
                minutes a day (a bit more if it's a really good book) so that I can
                walk for exercise and get some housework done. :)

                Bekah

              • renee mouilso
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 2, 2004
                  hi bekah:
                  my job, mail delivery, causes me to be (trapped) inside my vehicle Mon-Fri, minimim 4-5 hours a day. After 10 years, I can do my job blindfolded & brain dead. A few years ago I discovered Books-on -Tape. So, very often when I comment hear about "reading" a book, I am actually 'listening' to one. I may actually read Master & Margarita, as that one appeals to me. I already know it is not available on audio.
                  So I am not laying on the couch eating bonbons as I listen for hours!
                  :) Renee

                  Bekah <bekah0176@...> wrote:
                  At 6:48 AM -0700 8/1/04, renee mouilso wrote:
                  >I may or may not join in on the discussion. I have 5 hours per day
                  >in my car, perfect for listening to books, however very little time
                  >to read written words.

                  Oh my gosh! I listen to books from audible.com for about 40 to 60
                  minutes a day (a bit more if it's a really good book) so that I can
                  walk for exercise and get some housework done. :)

                  Bekah

                  The August book is _The Master and the Margarita_ by Mikhail Bulgakov.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 2, 2004
                    It never occurred to me that you were lazing around listening, Renee.
                    (g) I kind of thought maybe you commuted a great distance or
                    something. Mail delivery would be one place I would listen to books!!

                    Bekah