Re: [CRG] New Member

  • michael carvlin
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2004
      Hello, Christy, I am Michael from New Mexico. How wonderful that you get to work at the "High Holy" of education. I assist in a middle school and am working on licensure for secondary teaching after a career in the military. I am 49 and attending The College of Santa Fe in the evening. I am a devotee of Harold Bloom that there is that 1% of literature that is worth one's time and attention, especially given the paucity of time we are allotted as human beings. Last year, I finished "Bleak House" by Charles Dickens upon Bloom's recommendation that the work is his masterpiece and the book often floats into my consciousness wth it's themes of frustrations of justice in the English Courts of the Nineteenth Century, the adventurous philanthropism toward far-off Africa by a female character amidst the immediate squalor about her family and neighborhood. The character of Esther Summerson of a goodness unforgettable!

      "Ulysses" was finished by me as well last year. I just had the thought that I feel guilty at this moment where I am writing this e-mail at the middleschoolIworkatonasaturdaymorninglaboringnokillingtimenotatthedistractionunrelatedtopaybutnottohavethebookatmyimmedatedisposalforquotation.Itmustbetimefor
      "Finnigan's Wake"

      And the silence, blessed not Iraq and the confusions bring me to the third book of a memorable 2003 for reading, that being "Three Novels" by Samuel Beckett. If any meaning is absent in the immediate moments of a disappointed life, there is solace with how much is in his prose to dwell upon...

      cembc99 <cembc99@...> wrote:
      Hi All-

      My name is Christy and I just joined your group. I am 27, and I work
      at Harvard. Summer is boring around here and things die down on
      campus, so I find myself having more time to read. And, the classics
      are my favorite.

      I can not possibly say what my favorite book is, there are so many.
      However some favorite authors are: James, the Brontes, Austen,
      Dickens, Joyce etc.

      Looking forward to joining the May dicussion!

      Christy :)

      We are currently reading _The Razor's Edge_ by W. Somerset Maugham. In May we will read _The Reivers_ by William Faulkner.

    • kjcar11
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 1 9:41 PM
        Hello,

        I just joined the classicsreadinggroup today. I am looking forward to
        reading and discussing this month's book with everyone.

        kjcar11
      • Charleen
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 12, 2004
          Hi, just joined. I'm excited about getting myself to read some of the
          classics. I used to love reading when I was younger, but haven't done
          much outside of school. Lately though, I've been trying to get back in
          the habit, so I figure this will be a good way to introduce myself to
          some great literature (and maybe reread some of the stuff I skimmed over
          in high school English class... oops!)

          Seeing as we're almost two weeks into December I may be a bit behind in
          reading Oliver Twist, but I just got done with finals so I suppose I'll
          have some time on my hands. We'll see what happens.

          ~Charleen

        • Floinct@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 13, 2004
            Hi Charleen. Welcome to the group

            FloinCt

          • lauranysb
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 24, 2006
              Hello All,

              My name is Laura and I'm a first timer here. Did a bit of searching through the many yahoo book clubs before returning to the first group I peeked at - your classics group. Guess that's where my heart/head lies (lays?). Read Wilkie Collins' "A Woman In White" long ago, aloud with some friends in MA. Do remember it dragging at times also (per comments re: Moonstone), but as a Dickens fan, I was accustomed to the experience and enjoyed it despite. The inspiration for finding an on-line bk club came from listening to BBC's Progam "The Word". Last night there was a brief but intriguing interview with Azar Nafisi, author of "Reading Lolita in Tehran". She's planning to start a global book club very soon and in case anyone's interested I can try to provide a link to the recorded interview. Look forward to meeting you all. Laura

            • blueeyesmeg
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 26, 2006
                Hi Laura and welcome. I too enjoyed A Woman In White. It was my
                first Wilkie Collins read.
                I read Reading Lolita in Tehran about two years ago and found it very
                interesting. I hope Nafisi global book club eventuates. Please
                supply the link to her recorded interview. Thanks,

                Meg

                --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, lauranysb
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > Hello All,
                >
                > My name is Laura and I'm a first timer here. Did a bit of searching
                through the many yahoo book clubs before returning to the first group
                I peeked at - your classics group. Guess that's where my heart/head
                lies (lays?). Read Wilkie Collins' "A Woman In White" long ago,
                aloud with some friends in MA. Do remember it dragging at times also
                (per comments re: Moonstone), but as a Dickens fan, I was accustomed
                to the experience and enjoyed it despite. The inspiration for
                finding an on-line bk club came from listening to BBC's Progam "The
                Word". Last night there was a brief but intriguing interview with
                Azar Nafisi, author of "Reading Lolita in Tehran". She's planning to
                start a global book club very soon and in case anyone's interested I
                can try to provide a link to the recorded interview. Look forward to
                meeting you all. Laura

              • renee mouilso
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 26, 2006
                  Hi Laura & welcome. RLIT is a terrific book, unfortunately not a 'classic' however perhaps another on-line book club will read it. A few of us are in another club, I'll send the link if you're interested.
                  My own local library book club read it & we had a lively discussion.
                  Renee

                  lauranysb <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                  We are currently reading _The Moonstone_ by Wilkie Collins.

                  Writing child book Writing a book report Writing book Writing and publishing a book Creative writing book Writing a book

                • Lynda
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 6 4:25 PM
                    Hello,
                    This is exactly what I've been looking for! I am anxious to get Walden and meanwhile I will be reading it on line. look forward to participating.
                    Lynda