Re: [CRG] Who's reading Plato?

  • elizabeth davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
      I'll be starting it this weekend, I have a few more
      October books to try and finish up, and I have my
      first snow climb of the season this weekend, gotta
      love Colorado!

      Elizabeth
      --- count_de_almasy <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > Just curious to know how many of us will be reading
      > Plato. Our NAKED
      > discussion was lackluster because only a few of us
      > had the extreme
      > patience and determination (I applaud you!!!) to
      > finish the novel.
      > I'm only 30 pages into Plato, but it's definitely
      > going to make for
      > some very interesting discussions.
      >
      > ~Rob

    • Carol Huddleston
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
        I have the Plato book and am planning on reading at least some of it, but
        I¹m still 200 pages away from finishing N & D. I look forward to some good
        discussion about the Republic, too.

        Carol

        --

        Carol Huddleston silentmoon@... Seattle, WA

      • Patrick Winkler
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2003
          Howdy y'all,
          I plan on reading Play Dough's 'Public
          this month. I hope we can all read Hesiod too. I suggested that in
          a previous message that didn't make it to the board--can't imagine
          why? Maybe I didn't send it correctly.

          Take it easy,
          Patrick
          P.S. Congratulation's Meg! I'm happy for you and your family in
          this time of joy.

          --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, count_de_almasy
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Just curious to know how many of us will be reading Plato. Our
          NAKED
          > discussion was lackluster because only a few of us had the extreme
          > patience and determination (I applaud you!!!) to finish the
          novel.
          > I'm only 30 pages into Plato, but it's definitely going to make
          for
          > some very interesting discussions.
          >
          > ~Rob
        • Renee
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
            hi rob et all. i'm about 100 pages into plato. how the heck are we
            going to discuss this? are all our books going to have the verses
            numbered the same?

            <<<<<possible SPOILER>>>>>

            each argument set forth by socrates creates a problem for me: his
            method of comparing one circumstance to another & using one premise
            to equate with another, and i find myself asking: why are these
            people agreeing with this statement?

            by far the most troubling item for me so far is the "just society"
            socrates (and plato) are suggesting. it's like a military camp! there
            are no families, per se---the children are hauled off to be raised by
            professional guardians, and the arbitrary censorship he is
            suggesting ---no plays on this subject, no music or poems on that
            subject. YIKES!!!

            i'm also aware of the status of women here---as mere property, which
            makes me shudder, but i knew that was coming. women are the bearers
            of the children. only men are citizens, friends, peers and LOVERS.
            lovers in the sense of an EQUAL. perhaps i'm exaggerating that
            claim, but it is referred to in a notation, i don't have the book
            handy , (and i'm miffed because i have to return it in a few days.) i
            guess i'm going to have to take notes on the points which trouble me,
            as the book goes back nov 7.
            sigh.
            but i find it amazing to read these 2400 year old conversations with
            socrates, an icon still today!
            renee

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Just curious to know how many of us will be reading Plato. Our
            NAKED
            > discussion was lackluster because only a few of us had the extreme
            > patience and determination (I applaud you!!!) to finish the novel.
            > I'm only 30 pages into Plato, but it's definitely going to make for
            > some very interesting discussions.
            >
            > ~Rob
          • blueeyesmeg
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2003
              Hi Patrick, thanks for the congratulations on my first grandchild
              William, he does bring a lot of joy.
              I have heard recently of other messages to yahoo groups, not making
              the boards, I think there might be a problem with yahoo. I know
              yahoo messages are taking a long time to show up.

              Meg
              --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Winkler"