Re: [CRG] no regrets

  • margaret broughton
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
      Hi Renee, off to the Lighthouse - lol. I had to reread to appreciate the
      writing and story. As to what the heck goes on I will be interested to
      read!

      Meg

      >(sigh) sorry--i'll get off the soap box. gees---you've read and are
      >re-reading already? well, that's terrific. what i meant to say, but came
      >off as a tirade, was that between all of our many viewpoints, we're sure to
      >figure out what the heck is going on. in the meantime, off we go...to the
      >lighthouse, to the lighthouse!!! will we ever arrive????
      >(hackles safely tucked back in place) renee

      ninemsn Extra Storage is now available. Get five times more storage - 10MB
      in your Hotmail account. Click here http://join.msn.com/
    • brenanathome
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hi all, I started TTL a few months ago after finding a cheap used
        paperback edition of this I-should-read classic. I had trouble
        getting into it, so it went into the I-should-read-this-later pile.
        Now that it's up on CRG, I'm giving it my full attention and it's
        proving to be much more manageable. I think Elizabeth is right on:

        --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, elizabeth davis
        <emd233@y...> wrote:

        > As far as it being complicated for some people to read
        > I do have a few suggestions. First, since this isn't
        > an action story line I suggest sitting and reading
        > each section in one setting. Secondly remember these
        > are mostly ideas going on inside peoples heads, they
        > are not meant to be completely coherent.

        I have to re-read shorter sections to get a fuller understanding of
        what little action there is, but it's worth it. I just finished
        another novel where not a lot happens(A Man of Feeling / Javiar
        Marias), so maybe my mind is still in a careful reading mode.

        I'm only within the first 40 pages or so and am very interested in
        finding out what is going on in this novel. I'm sure you all will be
        able to turn on a few lights for me. : )

        Brenan
      • iman_toz
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2003
          Hi everyone,
          Unfortunately, I have never actually contributed before to a
          discussion here but I want to share my experience with you.
          when I first picked TTL I was 16, after around 30 pages I stopped. I
          picked it up again and read it 2 years later. During these 2 years I
          read "Mrs. Dalloway", a couple of short novels from "Monday or
          Tuesday" and a substantial part of "night and day".

          At first I felt exactly like many people here and I kept asking
          myself how come that this is one of the greatest novels.. I am
          certainly stupid ! (I still say the same thing about Ulysses!!) it
          took me some time but later I realised that being introduced for the
          first time to "Stream of Consciousness" TTL isn't exactly the
          perfect start, in my opinion its much harder than Mrs. Dalloway
          where at least something is happening.

          "Stream of Consciousness" means to expect nothing to "happen"; rather
          its about things going on around, novels are not action-packed but
          they are intense. You have to understand that people's thoughts are
          not always coherent, sequential, or causal. And that people are all
          unhappy (lol, this one is a thought of mine).
          It takes time, but once you "ride" the stream you will find yourself
          flowing with the words, and actually in time you will start thinking
          in weird ways about things around you: the hands of time and the
          water dripping from the tap..lol

          the best approach for reading a novel like this is to "Re-read" and
          BE patient. (its only 220 pages) sometimes you will have to return
          something like 10 pages back because you want to see how this thought
          came about, or to go back a previous part to compare how different
          people think about a certain thing. Sometimes there is no punctuation
          a sentence could be 2 pages long, this tells you something about this
          thought or idea, sometimes you have to read it out loud, because
          often the language is poetic (in "the Waves" for example), Sometimes
          you will feel that 2 or 3 characters are in fact one person. And you
          have to feel the words .
          The beautiful thing about her novels is that it will get you involved
          trying to figure out what she meant or what she felt, and of course
          everyone has a different viewpoint. which makes it interesting for
          discussions.
          Its important also to read the introduction and the process of
          writing the novel and if she had depression bouts during the writing.

          A very important point, is that you have to read a little about VW's
          biography and her relations with others around her. Most of her
          characters are based on her impressions of other people : her father,
          her sister, her husband or her friends like Vita-Sackville or herself
          (which you will find a LOT ) this gives you insight about what she
          wants to say or how she is actually feeling. I have always felt that
          VW novels are ultimately about her.

          Reading VW has helpt me in reading others writing the same style, for
          example I found William Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury" much
          easier, and this is a beautiful novel too and Marcel
          Proust's "Remberance of things past" ( but this one i cant say
          at all that it is easier). Actually in time you will find yourself
          wanting to read more of "alternative" novels

          a final thing, I have all her novels, I have not read them all yet,
          but from what I read so far, I have found her a woman of very rare
          and special genius. a beautiful person really. she's one of the few
          writers ( and I read for MANY) who really touched me and changed the
          way I think, and it wasn't from the first time, Just be Patient.
          Right now I am reading "The Waves" which is much much harder
          than
          TTL, I hope I can read again TTL with you . I really hope that people
          will enjoy reading VW.

          http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/vwoolf.htm
          is a brief biography. Actually you will find so many articles and
          sites about her online.
          http://orlando.jp.org/VWW/index.html
        • margaret broughton
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 14, 2003
            Hi Nicole and welcome to the club. I agree To the Lighthouse is not a book
            that draws you in for the first 50 or so pages. The writing is excellent
            and I can see why it would be a subject for a course in women's literature.
            I do think also it is a book that needs to be reread to be fully understood.

            Meg

            >>I just joined this group and, strangely, I just finished reading _To
            >the Lighthouse_ for a course in women's literature that I have been
            >taking. I was defintely not enthused for the first 50 or so pages,
            >but once I got into it, I loved the book. I did find I needed
            >frequent breaks in order to maintain the concentration to pick up the
            >juicy nuances of Woolf's prose. Defintely a book I'll reread again.
            >
            >-- Nicole

            Hotmail is now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
            http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp