Re: Hardcover LONELY HUNTER

  • winstonsmith_99
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      Rob, Yes, I have begun reading. I think I'm through chapter three. I
      don't know what intrigues me more, the story itself or the fact that
      Miss Carson wrote this story when she was only 23 years old. My
      initial observation is that this story is going to be about extreme
      isolation, and I mean extreme. John Singer has lost his best friend (I
      hope the nature of their friendship is later explained in greater
      detail); Biff Brannon and his wife are aliented from each other (I
      must confess, he intrigues me); Jake Blount has some obvious problems
      with society; Mick Kelley doesn't seem to have much of family; the
      doctor is badly treated. So far, every character is absolutely
      pitiable. My guess is that Biff will begin to take on the role of
      narrator, and we'll have to rely on him for our information.
      This story has all the makings of Southern literature at its best
      and worst. It reminds me of what Flannery O'Connor once wrote,
      paraphrased; "Of course, all Southern literature will be called
      grotesque by northern readers, unless it really is grotesque, and then
      it will be called realistic." I don't look to feel good at the story's
      end.

      Winston

      --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, count_de_almasy
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Hello, Winston:
      >
      > Yes, McCullers WAS cute! I didn't really take a close look at the
      > photo until I read your email. Talented AND attractive... nice
      > combo.
      >
      > Have you started the book yet? I'm about 20 pages in.
      >
      > ~Rob
      >
      > --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, winstonsmith_99
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Rob, My name is Winston (everybody say, "Hi, Winston."), and I'm a
      > > hardcover lover. Like you, I have the ML edition of *Heart* with
      > Miss
      > > Carson's image on the dust jacket. Wasn't she cute?
      > >
      > > Winston
      > >
      > > --- In classicsreadinggroup@yahoogroups.com, count_de_almasy
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > > For all you "hardcover lovers" out there (I KNOW it's not just
      > me!),
      > > > there's a Modern Library edition of THE HEART IS A LONELY
      > HUNTER. I
      > > > bought it at Borders yesterday for $17.
      > > >
      > > > Can't wait to jump into it.
      > > >
      > > > Rob
    • count_de_almasy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        Winston, I'm only through chapter two so far, but I completely agree
        with your comments about extreme isolation being one of main themes
        of the book. McCullers isn't afraid to hint at something without
        explaining it, and there are several passages next to which I've
        written "Significance?" or "Explained later?" in the column. I think
        this is great. She's giving her readers the perspective of a new
        person in town, who has questions about the surrounding characters
        but not necessarily a means to figure out the answers. McCullers did
        this in THE BALLAD OF THE SAD CAFE, too.

        I too have a feeling the relationship between Singer and Antanapolous
        (spelling?) will be further explained later. Until then, I'll keep
        reading...