December Book?

  • Frank T
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
      Do we have a book picked out for this month? I can't remember if we
      do or don't and didn't write it down if we did. Please help.
      FrankT
    • spanish_bookworm
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2002
        You are right, Frank, we have not voted this month's book yet. And we
        didn't vote last month either.
        Is something wrong with Janillabean? Is she ill? Has she left the
        group?

        Barbara

        --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., "Frank T" <xtontox@y...> wrote:
        > Do we have a book picked out for this month? I can't remember if
        we
        > do or don't and didn't write it down if we did. Please help.
        > FrankT
      • darbylarson
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2002
          I'm going to attempt to tackle Joyce's Ulysses this month. Anyone
          with me?

          Thanks,
          Darby

          --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., spanish_bookworm <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > You are right, Frank, we have not voted this month's book yet. And
          we
          > didn't vote last month either.
          > Is something wrong with Janillabean? Is she ill? Has she left the
          > group?
          >
          > Barbara
          >
          > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., "Frank T" <xtontox@y...> wrote:
          > > Do we have a book picked out for this month? I can't remember
          if
          > we
          > > do or don't and didn't write it down if we did. Please help.
          > > FrankT
        • spanish_bookworm
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2002
            Oh my god!

            Barbara

            --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., darbylarson <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I'm going to attempt to tackle Joyce's Ulysses this month. Anyone
            > with me?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Darby

          • winstonsmith_99
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2002
              DARBY! SAVE YOURSELF! DON'T DO IT! Last year a couple of us developed
              a streak of masochism, and we took on _Finnegan's Wake_. Please,
              scroll back through the messages and read our thoughts. If you feel
              that you must read James Joyce (and everyone should should read
              something by him), read _The Dubliners_, or get an antholgy that has
              some of his short stories. If you just want some good ol' Joycian
              stream-of-conciousness, make it easier on yourself by reading
              _Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_. But PLEASE . . . NOT
              _ULYSSES_!

              Winston

              --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., darbylarson <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > I'm going to attempt to tackle Joyce's Ulysses this month. Anyone
              > with me?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Darby
              >

              > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., spanish_bookworm <no_reply@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > You are right, Frank, we have not voted this month's book yet.
              And
              > we
              > > didn't vote last month either.
              > > Is something wrong with Janillabean? Is she ill? Has she left the
              > > group?
              > >
              > > Barbara
              > >
              > > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., "Frank T" <xtontox@y...> wrote:
              > > > Do we have a book picked out for this month? I can't remember
              > if
              > > we
              > > > do or don't and didn't write it down if we did. Please help.
              > > > FrankT
            • bcarson60
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2002
                It's been almost a year since I've visited this group (we were
                reading Bleak House then), and this seemed like a good point to step
                in. I have to chime in with the others against Ulysses for the
                December book.

                About this time last year, I decided 2002 was going to be the Year of
                Joyce for me ... I'd get through the whole oeuvre. I figured the
                first six months for everything up through Ulysses, then the last six
                months for Finnegan. (Alas, I haven't the time to read that I had
                when I was a wee lad, when a favorite teacher told me that the three
                months he spent on Ulysses were among the most well-spent of his
                life ... if only I'd taken his advice then!)

                Anyway, Dubliners took longer than I expected, by March I was through
                the Portrait, but I've only finished Ulysses this October ... did I
                say "finished"? I mean set it aside: what does it mean to "finish"
                that haunting wonderful chimera of a book?

                A month isn't enough time to read Ulysses ... unless you're just
                trying to prove to yourself that it's just as insurmountable as
                everybody says. And in that case, you'll only need a week. Or
                better yet: take their word for it. On the other hand, a month _is_
                enough to get hooked on what could become a lifelong addiction. And
                there are plenty of groups and discussion lists to feed a Joyce habit.

                --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., darbylarson <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > I'm going to attempt to tackle Joyce's Ulysses this month. Anyone
                > with me?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Darby
                >

                > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., spanish_bookworm <no_reply@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > You are right, Frank, we have not voted this month's book yet.
                And
                > we
                > > didn't vote last month either.
                > > Is something wrong with Janillabean? Is she ill? Has she left the
                > > group?
                > >
                > > Barbara
                > >
                > > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., "Frank T" <xtontox@y...> wrote:
                > > > Do we have a book picked out for this month? I can't remember
                > if
                > > we
                > > > do or don't and didn't write it down if we did. Please help.
                > > > FrankT
              • hecon_99
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2002
                  I don't want to show a bias in the election, but having been part of
                  that read of Finnegan's Wake, and having hated the book almost as much
                  as Winston, I'd have to say that I though Ulysses was much better. The
                  linguistic experiments do not get in the way as with FW, they
                  generally enhance the book, which is quite a compelling story. GO FOR
                  IT, Darby!

                  --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., winstonsmith_99 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > DARBY! SAVE YOURSELF! DON'T DO IT! Last year a couple of us developed
                  > a streak of masochism, and we took on _Finnegan's Wake_. Please,
                  > scroll back through the messages and read our thoughts. If you feel
                  > that you must read James Joyce (and everyone should should read
                  > something by him), read _The Dubliners_, or get an antholgy that has
                  > some of his short stories. If you just want some good ol' Joycian
                  > stream-of-conciousness, make it easier on yourself by reading
                  > _Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_. But PLEASE . . . NOT
                  > _ULYSSES_!
                  >
                  > Winston
                  >
                  > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., darbylarson <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > I'm going to attempt to tackle Joyce's Ulysses this month. Anyone
                  > > with me?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Darby
                  > >

                  > > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., spanish_bookworm <no_reply@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > You are right, Frank, we have not voted this month's book yet.
                  > And
                  > > we
                  > > > didn't vote last month either.
                  > > > Is something wrong with Janillabean? Is she ill? Has she left the
                  > > > group?
                  > > >
                  > > > Barbara

                  > > if
                  > > > we
                • darbylarson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2002
                    Stately, plump...

                    --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., "hecon_99" <hecon_99@y...> wrote:
                    > I don't want to show a bias in the election, but having been part
                    of
                    > that read of Finnegan's Wake, and having hated the book almost as
                    much
                    > as Winston, I'd have to say that I though Ulysses was much better.
                    The
                    > linguistic experiments do not get in the way as with FW, they
                    > generally enhance the book, which is quite a compelling story. GO
                    FOR
                    > IT, Darby!
                    >
                    > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., winstonsmith_99 <no_reply@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > > DARBY! SAVE YOURSELF! DON'T DO IT! Last year a couple of us
                    developed
                    > > a streak of masochism, and we took on _Finnegan's Wake_. Please,
                    > > scroll back through the messages and read our thoughts. If you
                    feel
                    > > that you must read James Joyce (and everyone should should read
                    > > something by him), read _The Dubliners_, or get an antholgy that
                    has
                    > > some of his short stories. If you just want some good ol'
                    Joycian
                    > > stream-of-conciousness, make it easier on yourself by reading
                    > > _Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man_. But PLEASE . . . NOT
                    > > _ULYSSES_!
                    > >
                    > > Winston
                    > >
                    > > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., darbylarson <no_reply@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > > > I'm going to attempt to tackle Joyce's Ulysses this month.
                    Anyone
                    > > > with me?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > Darby
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., spanish_bookworm
                    <no_reply@y...>
                    > > And
                    > > > we

                    > > > if
                  • Karen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 5, 2002
                      And you lived to tell us about it. What a year. Congrats. Karen

                    • winstonsmith_99
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 6, 2002
                        I nominate the intrepid Billy Bob Carson for the title "Toughest Man
                        in the World"! All in favor give a hearty "Hoot Mon!" If the motion
                        carries, I will supply Bro. Carson with a certificate attesting to
                        his elevation!

                        Winston