Steinbeck museum

  • toasteroven515
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 2, 2002
      This weekend I took a road trip (like most Americans on Labor Day)
      and stopped in Salinas to see the Steinbeck museum. It was
      wonderful! They had lots of displays, original letters and
      information on all his books. Some displays were interactive and kid
      friendly. My favorites were a little red (fake) pony that kids could
      hop on and comb its tail. They also had the truck and camper
      Steinbeck drove around in with Charley. It was in great shape. Also
      took a short walk around town and saw his house and Main Street.
      It's a cute area. Visited the same sites Cathy visited in East of
      Eden! Now I want to visit Haworth in England and see where the
      Bronte's lived.
      Karen
    • bookluver
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2002
        Karen,

        What a wonderful trip!! Thanks for sharing.

        Hattie

[...]

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • catherine fleming
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2002
          Karen,

          I hope you do get the chance to visit Haworth 'Bronte country'.

          I went to Haworth two years ago and its a lovely area, a land of heather and wild moors.

          Its no wonder the area became the inspiration of classics such as 'wuthering heights'

          The Bronte sisters are favourites of mine, as well as other authors of this period such as Charles Dickens and George Elliot.

          Not only do I love reading classic books but I also get interested in the authors themselves and like to find out more about them.

          I hope to visit 'Charles Dickens's birth place in Portsmouth one day.

          Cathie

        • gndoor
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2002
            Karen -
            Your trip sounds great . . . I love Steinbeck and would love to visit
            the museum. I am not as big a fan of the Bronte sisters but I would
            scoff at a trip to England either!

            Comeka
          • myshkin
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2002
              Quoting toasteroven515 <toasteroven515@...> on Mon, 02 Sep 2002
              17:34:40 -0000:

              >This weekend I took a road trip (like most Americans
              >on Labor Day)and stopped in Salinas to see the Steinbeck museum...
              >Also took a short walk around town and saw his house and
              >Main Street.

              I did this too, when I was last in the States several years ago. My
              beeline was slightly different from yours: I made straight for the
              house of ill repute which featured in Cannery Row (as you do!). It
              was at that stage an ice cream parlour - rather a change in function.

              Barry

              Lonely Planet's ekno - more than a phonecard
              Get ekno before you go!
              http://www.ekno.lonelyplanet.com
            • toasteroven515
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 6, 2002
                It's nice to be part of a club where no one raises an eyebrow to this
                sort of behavior!
                Karen (trying to explain to her husband why I want to spend thousands
                to visit the cold moors of England)
              • anjabe_sp
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 9, 2002
                  Karen, I am not sure about spending thousands, but the moors of
                  England are beautiful, Yorkshire, for example.
                  Anja

                  --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., "toasteroven515"
                  <toasteroven515@y...> wrote:
                  > It's nice to be part of a club where no one raises an eyebrow to
                  this
                  > sort of behavior!
                  > Karen (trying to explain to her husband why I want to spend
                  thousands
                  > to visit the cold moors of England)
                • Jennifer-Ann
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 18, 2002
                    it would be great to do East of Eden.

                    Jenn.

                    --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., bookluver <hattie_n@y...> wrote:
                    > Karen,
                    >
                    > What a wonderful trip!! Thanks for sharing.
                    >
                    > Hattie
                    >
                    > This weekend I took a road trip (like most Americans
                    > on Labor Day)
                    > and stopped in Salinas to see the Steinbeck museum.
                    > It was
                    > wonderful! They had lots of displays, original
                    > letters and
                    > information on all his books. Some displays were
                    > interactive and kid
                    > friendly. My favorites were a little red (fake) pony
                    > that kids could
                    > hop on and comb its tail. They also had the truck and
                    > camper
                    > Steinbeck drove around in with Charley. It was in
                    > great shape. Also
                    > took a short walk around town and saw his house and
                    > Main Street.
                    > It's a cute area. Visited the same sites Cathy
                    > visited in East of
                    > Eden! Now I want to visit Haworth in England and see
                    > where the
                    > Bronte's lived.
                    > Karen

                    > http://finance.yahoo.com
                  • jason3778
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 23, 2002
                      Regarding Steinbeck, it is his 100 birthday in October and the state
                      of California is having a drive to encourage everyone to read 'The
                      Grapes of Wrath' in October. If we haven't chosen a book yet, this
                      is an idea we could join, or even put a few of his books up for
                      voting.

                      jason