[CRG] Re: book discussion (spoilers)

  • auntmargaret1941
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
      It wasn't only the upper classes who were educated 100 years ago.
      Thomas Hardy was an artisan's son and he was the one who wrote the
      book! His family were "peasants".
      I'm sometimes quite amazed how uneducated college students are now.
      40 years ago, we seem to have been much wider read, or is this the
      rambling of an old person?
      In quite serious discussions of authors such as Jane Austen, there is
      far more discussion of film (movie) versions of the books, you get
      the impression that people just don't read.
      How sad.
      I did Latin at school for a year of an A Level course and read quite
      a few of the authors you mention in the original. And loved TS Eliot
      and the rest with their strange allusions.
      But my daughter looks blank if I talk about them!
      Aunt Margaret

      --- In classicsreadinggroup@y..., Karen <toasteroven515@y...> wrote:

      > Deb, I too am amazed at how well educated the upper classes were
      back then. While nowadays people know a lot about one particular
      topic, like computers, back then people of good breeding were
      supposed to be able to make conversation on all sorts of things.
      Today I'm afraid we watch too much TV and the art of intellectual
      conversation is lacking. And hard to find.